Archived "I mean, you can go, but it's going to reflect poorly on you."

Status
Not open for further replies.

CodeBanana

Sr GSTL
Tonight was our oh-so-fun 2-Day set, ad takedown, ad set nightmare. Last year we were scheduled 6p-3a to zone, do the ad, and set bulk in softlines. This year we were scheduled 4p-1230a to set bulk and do the ad. No big deal, except around 130a I needed to leave.

I told my ETL that I needed to go home to let the dogs out. For the record, I live alone, my friends are all out of town with family for the holidays, and I don't get paid nearly enough to board the dogs for the holidays just so I can work a couple extra hours. She told me that I was making excuses and it would reflect poorly on me (as a TL) that I was leaving early (nevermind that I had already stayed an extra hour). She proceeded to tell me that she would make sure our ETLHR scheduled the TLs later next year so no one could leave early. I tried to talk to her, but she kept telling me I could leave, but that it wouldn't be perceived well and that it was going to look bad.

Last year I had a dogsitter and was prepared to stay super late. I even stayed until nearly 5 in the morning. This year they didn't schedule us that late. Had I known, maybe I could have worked something out with a neighbor or left them in a friend's backyard. I'm always volunteering to work holidays, including closing on Christmas Eve, because my family lives too far away for a day trip.

The dogs seriously don't care that I'm a TL. They care that they've been alone for 10 hours and need to go outside. Am I alone in thinking it's ridiculous that I stayed an extra hour, was half an hour from compliance, and my leadership team is going to hold it against me that I had to go home and let the dogs out?

I would have stuck to the compliance part, hammered on that over and over until the ETLs ears bled.
Beyond that Barcode is right she's a complete tool.

I guess you could have offered to take care of the dogs and come back just to see how the bitch responded.

@commiecorvus I tried to tell her I'd run home and let them out and come back, but she ignored me completely.

@daninnj Nope, not Laura!

I don't think they can legally keep you past your scheduled shift.... I mean I get what they are saying as we all know what we are getting into when we are part of black fri prep team. But at the same team they need to realize tl are hourly, not salary. And people have lives.

Hey, look at that, threatening your job security over you not wanting to stay late when you have home concerns to take care of. What a power tripping tool, I guess when you're just an assistant manager of a retail store you have to find some way to make yourself look like you have power over people's lives.

Target is your job not your life. Funny when you cross over to ETL, Target becomes your life. Never EVER choose Target over anyone (including your furry family) I have done that and regret it everyday of my life. If you need to go, then go. You fulfilled your obligation to them It is not your problem if they failed to plan properly. What will reflect poorly is that ETLs shitty attitude

That's ridiculous. Is it any different than going and picking up your kids from somewhere? (Yes, I'm one of those people who compares dogs to kids.)

I worked overnight ad about 3 years ago, and there was one Saturday night where my entire team ditched me. We had 300 corrections to finish and I ended up working 10pm to noon to get it all done. My TL magically disappeared around 6am and the rest of my team soon followed. (I literally walked out of the signing room and looked for my team for ten minutes when the STL, who was opening, told me that they had left and I had to stay.) after that, I quit staying late.

They need to plan better, definitely. We had TLs who were parents who had to leave early some nights to go pick up kids or get them off to school. Letting dogs out is no different in my eyes.

They can't hold you against your will. That would be kidnapping. Besides, you did your time and served your sentenced. You should be allowed to be released from your cage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back