Archived i miss old folks. just a rant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My STL was even cashiering today because we were SWAMPED! He came in the break room while I was on lunch when he was done and said "Damn! I haven't done that in a while...that was FUN!". One of the other TMs looked at him and said "STL, are you crazy? That's not FUN...that's HARD WORK!" We all had a good laugh at that one ;)

And no, you can't have him, but you're more than welcome to come work at my store ;)

My STL & a few ETLs will jump on if we're swamped but there's 2 that I've NEVER seen on a register. Probably just as well since they'd likely screw things up.

Spots problem with the old folks is they recognize bull excrement when they see it, often not enforcing or only lightly enforcing policies that they feel fall into that category.
They tend to be more empathetic having been through their fair share of trial and tribulations. The big difference between empathy and sympathy is the thirty-somethings can sympathize and still fire you.
Older management understand the difference between recognition and respect. They are willing to work to gain yours.

If you get fired you obviously ************ed up one way or another

I don't know how all of your stores can be so bad, I'm starting to think its some of the people on this board. We have a lot of fresh out of college ETLs and our store runs smoothly.

I don't know how all of your stores can be so bad, I'm starting to think its some of the people on this board. We have a lot of fresh out of college ETLs and our store runs smoothly.

Valid point.
Comes down to me being lazy in the name of brevity.
Rather I should have said; A thirty-something will sympathize that you're working two jobs and will have your electricity turned off because you used so much AC to keep your baby cool during the latest heat wave but will still cut your hours to the bone to keep Spot happy while the older exec might shift some hours around or even go into the red, standing up to Spot when the drek hits the fan.
I don't mean to say that all the thirty-somethings are bad managers.
I've had a few that were very good but they seem to have come from rougher backgrounds then the head cheerleader/glee club/star quarterback middle class straight out of college types we've gotten lately.
Running smoothly isn't always a sign of good management.
It is often a sign of good employees.
People who care enough about the quality of their work that no matter how much their bosses suck they get the work done.

I don't know how all of your stores can be so bad, I'm starting to think its some of the people on this board.

Yet there's a lot of good people on here who share the same rants.
Many who have been with Target long enough remember when the company epitomized the "work smarter, not harder" philosophy but recent changes & roll-outs have undercut that to the point of creating an oxymoron. We have leadership that, instead of doing the hard work needed to stay green, will cut corners & fudge on the details because appearances will get you by with less effort. THAT'S what irks a lot of us.

Not saying its everybody.. just saying theres a lot of negativity on this board.

Yes my store runs smoothly. as far as management goes? I don't know. We are usually green on most stuff (consistently on TM Is Available), and if we ever dip down, its usually only to yellow.

I'd say my store is doing pretty good, and our fresh out of college ETLs are team players. Our LOD helped our other CA push carts during the huge heat spike last week, and almost all the ETLs (incl HR) help during mid-day zone to get people back to their areas fast.

Not true. If you are an older ETL or TL that is capped or close to capped, you will be gone. Of course it will be a "performance management" path. I have seen it first 4 times. Everyone of these people had either an "O" or "EX" review less than 3 months before the coaching for "communication" started. The only thing they did to ***** up was to grow older and be good at their jobs.

Trust me when I say this... there are PLENTY of stores in this company that are actually that bad!! My store last year had me almost ready to quit because of the poor leadership! The problem with how Target rotates its leaders is eventually, because of the luck of the draw, you will eventually end up with one too many bad leaders in the same building!

Morale was pretty low at my store around the time I left, and it had been that way for a while. I'm told things have yet to improve.

It does make me happy to hear some people say that management in their store are doing a great job of leading their teams, though: gives me hope that all is not lost. :) Now if only more of the competent, respectful ETLs and a new STL would make their way to my old store!

Not true. If you are an older ETL or TL that is capped or close to capped, you will be gone. Of course it will be a "performance management" path. I have seen it first 4 times. Everyone of these people had either an "O" or "EX" review less than 3 months before the coaching for "communication" started. The only thing they did to ***** up was to grow older and be good at their jobs.

And, since you don't grow YOUNGER, the only way is out!

My STL & a few ETLs will jump on if we're swamped but there's 2 that I've NEVER seen on a register. Probably just as well since they'd likely screw things up.
Granted, I've not been there as long as some others on the board, but there are a couple that I don't recall ever seeing on the lanes, either. As you pointed out, though, I could see 1 of them ROYALLY messing things up!

Yesterday, the STL came by pharmacy and we actually had time to be goofing around a little (not really, but actually talking and laughing, which RARELY happens)! He TRIED to do the "Hey! If you guys have enough time to be messing around, you could be doing something else!" routine and he couldn't even finish without smiling. He said it was good to see us actually RELAXED for once and told us to "keep up the good work...keep-keeping it green". I <3 him :)

I realized something the other day. Training at Target is like that game of Telephone we played when we were kids.
Some of the Glee club/head Cheerleader/Quarterback types were trained by the old folks so they have a handle on the job and usually jump in when needed.
But then come the interns who become the next batch of execs and like the telephone message distortion occurs.
Most of us work in stores that are third or fourth generation so the message is not even close to what the old folks passed along.

Last edited:
I realized something the other day. Training at Target is like that game of Telephone we played when we were kids.
Some of the Glee club/head Cheerleader/Quarterback types were trained by the old folks so they have a handle on the job and usually jump in when needed.
But then come the interns who become the next batch of execs and like the telephone message distortion occurs.
Most of work in stores that are third or fourth generation so the message is not even close to what the old folks passed along.

No kidding!:thumbsup:

This same thing has been going on at our store.Every time an older etl leaves they are replaced by a college grad that has never had a job before and tries to act like they know every thing. our entire team of
etls are under 25.Target is no longer fast fun and friendly . Every one hates to come to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back