Archived I think I may get fired...Will I? Is it justifiable? What do I tell next job?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I will get fired when I come into work on my next day. I've wanted to leave for a good 2 years now but wouldn't prefer to be "fired."

I'm a a cashier at Target (though, I do a lot more than that and never get recognized for it.) I've worked there for the last 4 years. Target was my first and only real job. At my Target, you're allowed to have 2 no call no show's in a year. The 3rd one in a year gets you automatically fired. After every full year, it resets. I believe I had 1 last year because I wrote my schedule wrong. So, I had 1 last year. This past January, my no call's reset to 0. As of late, I had been brought into the office a few times because they didn't like my attendance/latenesses. However, I don't think I called out any more than many other people who work there call out. I was NEVER put on a final warning yet...I've just been warned that SOON it will come to a final and then after my final, if I call out or am late again, I'll be fired.

I called out a couple of days ago because I had a bad cold. I called and told them my name and that I wasn't going to be able to come in tonight because I was very sick. The woman on the phone was muffled and sound like she said "Ohok." And then I heard nothing. After a few seconds, I hung up. The next day, a fellow coworker texted me and said "You know you were supposed to come in yesterday, right?" I said "I called out." He said, "No, they said you didn't call out." And I just thought, "Greaaaaat." So I know they're going to talk to me about it the next time I go into work. And I have a suspcion they might try to fire me. A friend of mine called out and they said he didn't and he showed them his call log on his cell phone to show that he actually did call out. So I am going to do the same. If they still try to tell me that I didn't call out, or whatever, or they try to fire me...well screw them! For one- I actually DID call out. And two- Even if they think I no called no showed, I have 0 no call's this year and you need 3 to automatically get fired. On top of that, I have NEVER been put on a final warning. I dont know though, I have a feeling they'll try to fire me still.

What are your opinions, and should I explain this to my next employer?

Don't doubt yourself and your stability. It is always going to be your downfall. If you've done nothing wrong besides call out a couple (2 or less) times due to circumstances beyond your control, then just go in there with your head high and keep doing your job. I may not have that much job experience, but you sound like me, and I sound like you. If they do talk to you about your attendance performance, ask them where the flaws are. Ask them where exactly are you messing up in that region if you don't remember when you've called out. Also, fate doesn't always seem to work in our favor, but it works period.
If you next employer, if you decide to leave, will probably ask you have you ever been late only. If they ask you if you've ever been absent, tell them exactly what happened and how you've tried to correct the situation later on so it doesn't happen again.

Who did you speak to when you called out? LOD? TL? Random person who answered the phone?

I believe it was the person who answered the phone. First I tell them and then usually they transfer me to the LOD but they just said "ok" so I hung up. Again, with zero no calls THIS year and not being put on my final warning yet, could i still be fired if they consider this a no call? And do i explain this situation to my next employer?

Also, belegendary, thanks for the response

We've had people fired after one NCNS. It's pretty rare, and I think it depends on if they were headed down that path or not. Since you didn't talk to the LOD, it will likely be considered an NCNS.

You don't have to explain anything to your future employer. Put the standard, "looking for a better opportunity" on the job application. If they call the line to confirm your employment, all they will tell them is the dates you worked and if you are rehirable. I've never been asked, "why are you no longer at your previous job?" at an interview, personally.

If jobs don't ask if you were fired or why you were fired, why do people even put on their applications that they were fired?

Im going through what you're going through. Im cash office/guest service right now. They just trained a new person for cash office, and they stuffed me on register and crosstrained new people on guest service. They specifically put me on register so my redcard conversion can plummet so that they can justify condemning me to poverty and dumpster diving. Wouldnt be so bad except no one wants to hire some one in their late 20s who has only ever worked as a retail worker...even if you are seeking out another retail position. Failed interviews with Party City, Taco Bell, Speedway, McDonald's, and Aldi, that's in the last 3 weeks alone. Im seriously considering getting looked at for having Aspergers or other social disorders, since im pretty sure its a problem with my people skills. But anyways dont worry about it unless it happens

i don't think you'd get fired over one NCNS in the last year but you really should have asked for the LOD. You've worked there for 4 years so you should know that you need to speak to the LOD to call out. Next time you call out ask to be transferred to the LOD so you can talk to them.

Unless it's for gross negligence (ie swearing at a guest or ETL, threatening someone, etc) the corrective action process must be followed. You cannot be terminated for attendance if you are not of a Final Warning.

i don't think you'd get fired over one NCNS in the last year but you really should have asked for the LOD. You've worked there for 4 years so you should know that you need to speak to the LOD to call out. Next time you call out ask to be transferred to the LOD so you can talk to them.
There was one time I had to call out when my father-in-law died and the LOD wouldn't come to the phone and told the operator to take a message. My husband and I stopped at Target on our way out of town to let them know since I wasn't comfortable with just leaving a message.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back