Archived I think the end is near for Target.

• Thread starter Guest
  • Start date
  • Replies 102
  • Views 12K
Status
Not open for further replies.
Target needs to take a step back and assess who their larger demographic base is. Take a walk through your store. $20 for a ceramic pet dish? $200 for a bar cart, $90 for a glass vase. Much of these high ticket items end up selling when they hit 50-70% off on clearance. Merchandise things that more people want and can afford.

GUEST: I don't want to swipe my card.

ME: OK. I'll manually enter the card number.

GUEST: No, I don't want you to do that either.

ME: OK. Would you care to pay cash or check?

GUEST: No. I don't have enough cash and I don't have a check.

ME: hmmmm

GUEST: Well, isn't there any other way to pay?

ME: sigh

Addendum!

Me: There is an ATM at guest services.

GUEST: But they charge so much to withdraw!

ME: JUST KILL ME.

How about?

GUEST: Will you take an IOU?

Target needs to take a step back and assess who their larger demographic base is. Take a walk through your store. $20 for a ceramic pet dish? $200 for a bar cart, $90 for a glass vase. Much of these high ticket items end up selling when they hit 50-70% off on clearance. Merchandise things that more people want and can afford.

There is an endcap with a $600 blender we sell on it.

Nobody is going to buy that!

Makes you wonder how much the manufacturers pay the retailers to display their stuff. There are specific endcap designations for most product (front/back).

The data breach isn't going to put Target out of business on its own but the downward spiral is beginning for Target. If you look at all of the writing on the wall, things aren't going well.

First of all, look at their stock price. They were doing a good job of artificially inflating for quite a while through their stock buy back. They even got it as high as $75 at one point. Now it's in the high 50s and final fourth quarter earnings report is only going to further tank that price. The economy as a whole is turning around but Target is down in same store sales 2.5%. It shouldn't be that way.

A source told me that Gregg sold a huge chunk of his stock last autumn prior to the dip in price. Now that cannot be confirmed or not, but corporate executives know when to sell or buy before anyone else.

Actually, you can easily find this out. Federal law requires company executives to publicly report any stock buys/sells. Here is the list of all buys/sells of Target stock by executives at HQ:

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/it?s=TGT+Insider+Transactions

Thanks stateoftarget11.
That was a treasure trove of information, most of it depressing as hell.
Anyone see this, I'm sure all totally legal and up to snuff but damn!

Apr 22, 2013 SCHIEL TINA M 41,539 Direct Sale at $68.80 per share. 2,857,883
Apr 22, 2013 SCHIEL TINA M 41,539 Direct Option Exercise at $48.88 2,041,000

She made more than $800,000 in one day.

glad you broke that down for me commie because those finance charts are like greek to me. but yeah, $800,000 is a little more than i have ever made in a day.

Yes, they will. I sold 2 of them.

Thanks stateoftarget11.
That was a treasure trove of information, most of it depressing as hell.
Anyone see this, I'm sure all totally legal and up to snuff but damn!

Apr 22, 2013 SCHIEL TINA M 41,539 Direct Sale at $68.80 per share. 2,857,883
Apr 22, 2013 SCHIEL TINA M 41,539 Direct Option Exercise at $48.88 2,041,000

She made more than $800,000 in one day.

That's more than all my retirement plan with spot.

Yes, they will. I sold 2 of them.

WHAT.

Why would people buy that >.> $600. Jesus lordy.

I know some people who are well off and buy the expensive stuff at Target haha (and some of em are constantly changing their home decor. And somehow target is still the cheaper option in their eyes). Blendtec and Vitamix (another expensive blender company) have cult followings, though. Those blending health people love those spensive blenders.

Target would make more money if they were like Wal Mart. Start selling the crap that Wal Mart sells and I bet you 1 dollar that sales will increase. Target has to stop with "we are better than you" mentality. Sell things that people need and want. You sell beer and wine yet don't sell cigarettes. Sell newspapers, spray paint, fabric dye, ceiling fans, a larger variety of frozen and dry foods and beverages, etc... The list is endless.

can i please just be a snob this one time and say this: i hate walmart and literally NEVER shop there. I love target because we do NOT sell junk and we actually offer nice looking things and that in turn attracts a different clientele. i hate to admit it, but I would not want the clientele that our local wal mart attracts. our walmart closed temporarily recently and we had their shoppers in our store for a few months. it was hell. i have been at our store for ten years and i have NEVER seen our store in the shape it was in during that time. so, i personally hope we do not stoop to that level of walmartness. Our brand will go out the window and so will I :):excited:

can i please just be a snob this one time and say this: i hate walmart and literally NEVER shop there. I love target because we do NOT sell junk and we actually offer nice looking things and that in turn attracts a different clientele. i hate to admit it, but I would not want the clientele that our local wal mart attracts. our walmart closed temporarily recently and we had their shoppers in our store for a few months. it was hell. i have been at our store for ten years and i have NEVER seen our store in the shape it was in during that time. so, i personally hope we do not stoop to that level of walmartness. Our brand will go out the window and so will I :):excited:

My experience with Wal Mar is that it depends on the location. If the WM is in an affluent area, they are nice kept up stores. If its near an area with higher poverty and unemployment, than there is usually a police car parked outside with a shoplifting suspect inside.

My experience with Wal Mar is that it depends on the location. If the WM is in an affluent area, they are nice kept up stores. If its near an area with higher poverty and unemployment, than there is usually a police car parked outside with a shoplifting suspect inside.

The town where I grew up the Wal Mart and Target are in the same shopping plaza. The Wal Mart tends to get the trashier part of the population, the Target gets the less trashy. And where I grew up is an area that has everything from drug problems running rampant in parts of town to people who have more money than they know what to do with in other parts of town. And it's not a huge town either. Even where I live now, a Target about half an hour away from me has a Wal Mart across the street. Same story as where I grew up.

Agreed. One spot should be called the: You get what you paid for section. We sell a lot of good things, but we also sell a lot of junk. The as seen on tv stuff we sell seems to be the worst of the worst as of late. Can't tell you how many returns I've had with defective junk in that section.

I think this 100% depends on your area and the culture of the region. I have never had a problem with walmart's clientele in my area. Unless you're talking specifically of the store brand stuff, walmart and target carries a lot of the same stuff. I even noticed that some of the brands that are __ for target also have a __ for walmart line. Walmart's also been stepping up their trendiness. As someone who actually shops at both stores, though, I assure you, the quality of the store brand stuff is generally comparable, though on some things one or the other is a clear winner. Even if you never go in walmart, it's great for price matching. Stuff like appliances and non store-brand junk sometimes has a huge price difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back