Archived I Volunteer as...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been working at Target for 1.5 years and I've only volunteered once.
It was about 3-4 hours long, it was actually really fun. I can't name it because it would give my location away.
I've been meaning to volunteer more, but I forget to request the days off or I can't afford to give up hours :(

I've done the United Way's Day of Caring three times now plus I did a day with Habitat for Humanity. I don't know how many hours I've done. I'd like to volunteer more but half of our events are in a city 45 minutes away and I don't have the gas to drive out there.

The easiest one to do is National Night Out.
You can pretty much show up on that one and they will find you something to do but it's best to sign up.

Depends on the store of course, mine was suburban so there was a fair number active members in charities and other projects.
We did walkithons, and other fund raising events you could sign up for if you had sponsors.

There was also the school library rebuild at an designated (usually urban school).
I volunteered for that, got picked, took the day off, and then was dumped at the last minute.
Since all the people who did go were ETLs and TLs, I can guess why.

I would love to volunteer, but my store rarely does them, and when they do, they post them a week or so beforehand, and I either have work or school and can't make it. I volunteer on my own time though, so I'm not too worried about it.

My former store stopped doing volunteer events back in 2006. Before that, all my store would by the Doctor Seuse and teacher/classroom assistance.

Last edited:
I did the Read Across America Dr. Suess in schools thing last year. Havent done any others but I would say our store does a volunteer event every other month or so...we have a couple people who are really big into paying forward and such so there's a decent turnout. Tends to be the same people over and over though.

You have to be on the "in" list for some of our volunteer events. If they have room, then they will open up the few remaining slots to the rest of us.

wow. Not the response I expected from a company that gave over 700,000 hours of time in 2013!! Our store has logged more than 1,000 volunteer hours this year! I was hoping to get some fresh ideas for 2014! lol or not... :)

I've done NNO for the past four or five years, we've done something with adopting a highway and keeping it clean, fishing with kids, big cat wildlife rescue, breast cancer walks, cancer walks in general I try to up my hours every year this year my store has done 400 hours approximately so far...

delivered meals to shut ins monthly, local food bank, national night out, MLK day of service, humane society, reading buddy at our "adopted" school. i volunteer at least 2 times a month because it makes me feel good. no matter how witty things are in my life there are others who have it worse. this reminds me how lucky i really am

I did the St. Jude walk with a bunch of others, and other stores in the area. We had a cookie drive around the holidays for shut-ins. I LOVED that one. Sit at home and bake all day? Don't mind if I do.

We haven't had a lot lately...

I volunteer plenty OUTSIDE of Target because I know the schedules of many of these places & can go by at a needed time.
My boys helped out at our local food bank warehouse last summer; one Thanksgiving they spent with their cousins serving dinners at the Salvation Army shelter; our church has a rotating schedule with Meals on Wheels; my siblings' families cleaned house & gathered lots of household items that we donated to the local shelter for victims of domestic violence; my nephew's scout troop helped out at a Habitat build so we brought refreshments.

I volunteer as nothing. Ever. Is that such a bad thing? I work my tail off for low pay as it is. When I'm off the clock, I'm off the clock.

I volunteer as nothing. Ever. Is that such a bad thing? I work my tail off for low pay as it is. When I'm off the clock, I'm off the clock.

I don't think it's a bad thing. You aren't obligated to do anything, I don't really volunteer either. I signed up for the next one coming up, but only because it's animal related. If it had been something else I would have passed, but I think signing up for that really helps your STL out and makes the store as a whole look great. If he/she helps you (ours does constantly) I think I should be doing things to help them.

I volunteer for church events on occasion. I would get involved with Target events if I didn't work two jobs (and always get scheduled at one of them during said events).

Our store participates in a lot of district events. Sadly we are the southernmost store in our district and some of us have issues driving the 50+ miles to events. The TL and ETL teams will do a lot of exclusive "team building" volunteer events.

I volunteer at pretty much every event at our store. I'm going to one tomorrow as a matter of fact. I don't log my hours. That just seems...lame. It's not a race. It does seem as though some stores are better than others at getting the word out about events. But that's exactly why you should go. You get a chance to meet team members from other stores and trade ideas for different events and ways to spread the message.

I would say if you want to volunteer at just one event, let it be the school library remodel. We do one once every year but I've read on Workbench that there are sometimes two in a year; one during the spring/summer and one during the fall. That one is so cool and it really is a lot of fun. The kids are always so awesome and they make little personalized thank you cards. It's great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back