Archived I was asked to become a GSA. Some questions/advice please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxTheDudexx

Front of Store Attendant
What's the pay increase roughly? Is it worth it? I've been with the company for over 2 years now. I started as a seasonal cashier and am now cross trained in Guest Service, Cart Attendant (I'm now the trainer for that), Photo, Food Ave (kind of), and have done a few Logistics and Hardlines shifts. I wasn't sure if I should say yes or no... I just said I would do it because I find that being cross trained in more areas seems to yield more hours per week.

I really like being on carts the most because I like being outside and there is so much to do it makes the day go really fast. I like working hard and I never need much direction, when my carts and all other duties are fulfilled, I even work on helping Guest Service process damages or do reshop for hardlines without being asked. Just makes the day go faster.

I have done fill in GSA shifts before due to call off a couple times and I found them a bit dull and boring. I only ask because I've seen a lot of GSA's quit recently. I know it means I'll probably getting pissed off Guests, but I can handle that so long as they keep me on carts too. Any thoughts advise/thoughts would be appreciated.

I guess I just want to know what I'm in for. Thanks!

I am been a GSA for two years. A GSA is basically a supervisor position without the nice perks of being a supervisor. You will be helping the cashiers & service desk. Your goal is to make sure guests are happy and make sure the lines are small. Your main goal is to push those red cards like there is no tomorrow. GSA doesn't really have a good pay increase, but offers good hours. Estimated hours are like 27-35 a week.

Being a GSA can be very stressful because guests will go after you if there is a problem. Also you are expected to help the guest to resolve issues without going to the LOD. Some LOD don't like being called up to the service desk.

TIP: Don't let the supervisor idea get to your head. Be great to cashiers and they will love you. Also help them like you wanted help on a lane. Jump on a lane or go grab carts.

Depending on your store, the pay diff is .25 to .50 more.
Is it worth it? Again, depends on your store (culture). Many stores utilize GSAs as GSTLs on the cheap.
In other words, you may be doing EVERYTHING a GSTL does (except coachings, interviews, TM reviews & the like) for a fraction of the pay diff. You'll be expected to drive credit, problem-solve, speed-weave, EXUDE vibe behavior while upholding policy.
And yeh, you'll be dealing with guests front and center.

The raise isn't worth it. But all of a sudden, my GSTL decided protecting our (GSAs) hours is a priority for him, and I managed to finagle enough between that and an extra shift here and there to get full-time and keep my health insurance. Now that made it nearly worth it.

Also, the pissed off guests I could handle. What surprised me was the number of TMs when I started doing this that would take out their grumpiness at the company (or whatever their complaint of the day was) on me. Some of that has gone away with the kill them with kindness approach. Also, if the LOD is having a bad day, you're likely to feel that a lot more than as a "regular" TM (though of course that's all you technically are).

Neither of these happens as much if you will be working under a GSTL. If you are the front end leadership for the shift, the employee drek will come your way...and that was a huge surprise for me.

The fact that you've seen 'lots of GSAs quit recently' should be a huge red flag.
Time to run screaming into the night.

The fact that you've seen 'lots of GSAs quit recently' should be a huge red flag.<br>
Time to run screaming into the night.
It is truly is. They asked me to become a GSA after two GSAs quit within 6 months.

I really appreciate the feedback. I like being outside on carts and being able to bounce between work centers to cover breaks. I just heard horror stories on here about being stuck in an area they don't like. I want to be a fill in GSA when I have to be, but I like carts most, Guest Service/Photo second, and Food Ave/cashier last. I was just wondering how much of an impact that might have on doing what I like, vs what I don't like.

I've seen several GSA's doing price accuracy and other odd jobs when they aren't running the lanes. I've never done pricing. If it keeps me full time, I'll do it. I was kinda feeling the red flag factor too though.... I already said I would, but I can't help but wonder if that was a mistake...

And to add insult to injury, I was informed from one of the newer gals that now works in HR that they are trying to hire cart attendants like crazy. I have been complimented on so many occasions for the way I deal with guests at the service desk because I try everything I can to help them. My GSTL told me there were going to be changes made because I guess some team members have had some complaints for being rude towards them. Red flag perhaps? I don't know....

But thanks again. Will continue to read any additional pointers and tips. Thanks!

Last edited:
If you can handle multi tasking, guest & tm's issues, know other work centers, & your etl ge leads the front end well by being green on the reports. It would be a great opp, but the pay makes it not really worth it. Sorry, rg.

You are basically a assistant GSTL but with no supervisory powers. You will be still classified as a specialized Front End TM. You will need to know all areas of the Front; cashiering, Service Desk, cash office, and Food Ave/Starbucks. You will report any team issues to the GSTL. You are to help drive sales, speed weave guest traffic, resolve guest issues. All with no huge raise.

I got $1 an hour increase for the promotion. My store tends to give the GSA's a bit more leeway. We aren't allowed to "coach", but we can "converse" with TM's about issues, and then we document that and pass it along to the GSTL or ETL-GE.

In the 5 or 6 months I've been a GSA, I've seen 4 others come and go. If that tells you anything.

I work a full 40 hours a week all as GSA shifts (minus some cash office) and in my opinion here's what you should ask yourself..

1) do you have a good relationship with all GSTL's and most team leads?
2) how do you feel about constant questions from cashiers and guest service?
3) can you take the majority of the heat from a raging-c*** of a guest so your cashiers don't have to?
4) how do you feel about being in the awkward position where you're sort of a supervisor, but you're still just a team member?

You should answer yes/good to all of those. Don't get me wrong, it's not a difficult position once you get good at it, but it's also not worth the low pay grade..

Oh and also on a scale of 1-10, your guest service skills should probably be a 12. I don't regret becoming a GSA and I was able to use it to my advantage and get on the bench, but if TL opportunities don't start arising (or at least a temporary change in workcenters) I'll most likely be out the door soon enough.

Last edited:
In the 5 or 6 months I've been a GSA, I've seen 4 others come and go. If that tells you anything.

I work a full 40 hours a week all as GSA shifts (minus some cash office) and in my opinion here's what you should ask yourself..

3) can you take the majority of the heat from a raging-c*** of a guest so your cashiers don't have to?
4) how do you feel about being in the awkward position where you're sort of a supervisor, but you're still just a team member?

You should answer yes/good to all of those. Don't get me wrong, it's not a difficult position once you get good at it, but it's also not worth the low pay grade..

Oh and also on a scale of 1-10, your guest service skills should probably be a 12. I don't regret becoming a GSA and I was able to use it to my advantage and get on the bench, but if TL opportunities don't start arising (or at least a temporary change in workcenters) I'll most likely be out the door soon enough.

I really appreciate your answer. I can answer yes to all of those. I have a great relationship with the GSTL's and all my ETL's. Having a supervisor key will be so much easier to do my job effectively. Pretty much the only reason I ever call a GSTL or a GSA over to Guest Service is for an override or for a signature if needed. I'll need to get used to it like learning any new position, but I feel confident I can handle it. I've done GSA before even though I wasn't coded into the system. I've learned work arounds for certain situations, but it will be awesome to finally be able to eliminate the work arounds or calling somebody else over. For example entering a series of 5 dollar coupons for an amount over 5 dollars to fix something to save a GSTL from having to come over on a busy day. Thanks so much for the advise.

I really appreciate your answer. I can answer yes to all of those. I have a great relationship with the GSTL's and all my ETL's. Having a supervisor key will be so much easier to do my job effectively. Pretty much the only reason I ever call a GSTL or a GSA over to Guest Service is for an override or for a signature if needed. I'll need to get used to it like learning any new position, but I feel confident I can handle it. I've done GSA before even though I wasn't coded into the system. I've learned work arounds for certain situations, but it will be awesome to finally be able to eliminate the work arounds or calling somebody else over. For example entering a series of 5 dollar coupons for an amount over 5 dollars to fix something to save a GSTL from having to come over on a busy day. Thanks so much for the advise.

Any time! If your store uses them to carry the team as much as ours does, just go in without set expectations; you'll see a whole new side of the front-end that many people don't bother to acknowledge exists. Like barcode said, it's under appreciated. Also, definitely don't be afraid to challenge upwards when needed.

I just took the promotion to GSA myself. I'm intending to leverage it into a TL position at some point in the future, and the ETLs know this so we'll see if that goes anywhere. So far it's been a pretty good experience, minus the few asshole guests I've had to deal with. Only downside is that at my store cart attendants just do carts by default, anything else is pretty much by request, so I wind up doing restroom checks and cleaning the men's room because the front end is very heavily female at my store (I'm the only man among the GSAs/GSTLs, 1 of 2 at Service Desk and the other only works 2 days a week because of school/fulltime job, and regular cashiers the only one >18 <75.), so be prepared to handle something like that.

It's kind of a weird position to be in because you're still a TM but when flying solo at the front end you're doing 80% of the job of a GSTL, and at least at my store operating with the same authority minus official coachings/writing reviews/that sort of thing. While at the same time being the one to clean up the code brown in the men's room. I've gotten more respect from TMs all over the store though who seem to think I'll be a GSTL or other TL soon enough, and even a fair number of the TLs seem to be listening to my opinion more as well as asking for it more often, and tasking me with more responsibility along with expecting more. Experiences may vary but so far overall I think it's been a good move in my case, but we'll see in time whether my opinion changes.

I was pretty much a rock star at the front end.....guests would greet me with hugs as would the team.....I always refused the position and told them I thought it was a chump position. I wanted real advancement there and all the 20 something TLs wouldn't advance me or anyone else over 40.....even though they would send the new trainees to me to teach them everything.....I suppose it looks good on the resume but its a dead end if you plan to stay.....and a trap if they're looking to get rid of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back