Archived Idea For Target

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, guys. I'm a hardlines team member, and I've been with Target for nearly three years. Working with computers is a hobby of mine, and recently I've been working on two little software programs for Target. One that I think would be useful in training new hardlines team members, and one that would be beneficial to anyone working on the sales floor.

If I wanted to get the idea implemented at my store -- that is, have team members actually use it -- who would I speak to about it? Would I have to demonstrate it? Would it be against store policy?

there was a cd that we used to use for training in respective departments, cashier and sales floor. It was quite lengthy and kept the new hire sitting at the computer and away from the floor actually learning the job.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be welcomed; just know that it's been done.

there was a cd that we used to use for training in respective departments, cashier and sales floor. It was quite lengthy and kept the new hire sitting at the computer and away from the floor actually learning the job.

I seem to remember some sort of video game that involved training a robot how to work safely...? That was a long time ago!

Interesting. I've never heard about that. My program would actually be an app on the team member's phone.

Create app & see what happens. If it makes my job easier, do it. The target mobile app is good on android & iPod. Present it to your etl/dtl & see what they say.

Last edited:
I seem to remember some sort of video game that involved training a robot how to work safely...? That was a long time ago!

I've been there since a llooonnngg time ago

On the safety portion there was a scenario that involved a voice that said "Code red to Hardware! Code red to Hardware! Code red to Hardware!"

My then STL was working in her office while a trainee was listening to the cd, and the STL got up and ran out of her office, saying "Doesn't anyone else hear that?"

it was so hilarious!

Tread carefully... Since you were making it for work and even though you feel it was probably just a hobby it is "working off the clock"

Good, good point. I didn't even consider that. Could it really be considered working off the clock?

Honestly, while I think it's a great idea and can see the benefit. I predict this will be a no go from your leadership. You said it's an app for TM's phones. We can't use phones on the clock, so it would only be possible to use when team members are not on the clock. Also, depending on whether or not there is "target sensitive" information it becomes harder to distribute(no app store option for sure, since anyone could download it.

A crazy suggestion, partner with spot on the app & see what they say. Don't mention you work for spot & see what happens.

TM creates app to help others do a better job at Target. TM gives app to Target. Target fires TM for working off the clock. Target continues to use the app. Target rolls it out to all stores in next years release. Target sues ex-TM for copyright issues when he challenges his terminatiin and/or use of his app.

TM creates app to help others do a better job at Target. TM gives app to Target. Target fires TM for working off the clock. Target continues to use the app. Target rolls it out to all stores in next years release. Target sues ex-TM for copyright issues when he challenges his termination and/or use of his app.

Spot's lawyers crush TM.
Ten years later article is written Mother Jones magazine about case.
HBO makes movie with Justin Timberlake playing TM.
TM never sees a dime.

I really appreciate all the feedback you guys have given me. I'll admit, I'm a bit worried about going forward with this project now. lol Perhaps I should speak to my ETL-HR to determine whether undertaking such a project would be considered "working off the clock."

A crazy suggestion, partner with spot on the app & see what they say. Don't mention you work for spot & see what happens.

That may actually be my best option.

If they give you trouble about 'working off the clock', tell them you'll do a punch correction for all the time spent developing it.

I really appreciate all the feedback you guys have given me. I'll admit, I'm a bit worried about going forward with this project now. lol Perhaps I should speak to my ETL-HR to determine whether undertaking such a project would be considered "working off the clock."
That may actually be my best option.
I wouldn't say anything to your etl-hr, they steal your idea. Do research at target.com for more details on how to present your product. Being wifi at the store, may of change things. Someone could beaten you to it.

It's a great idea, but come on, this is target, its pretty much like working for the government. It'll take forever for something to change here.

Hey, guys. I'm a hardlines team member, and I've been with Target for nearly three years. Working with computers is a hobby of mine, and recently I've been working on two little software programs for Target. One that I think would be useful in training new hardlines team members, and one that would be beneficial to anyone working on the sales floor.

If I wanted to get the idea implemented at my store -- that is, have team members actually use it -- who would I speak to about it? Would I have to demonstrate it? Would it be against store policy?

DO NOT TELL YOUR ETLS ABOUT THIS!!!!!

This is considered working off the clock. You are basically doing software development work for Target. Are you a Target software developer? No, but that still doesn't mean you can do the work of one off the clock. This is the same as if a TM went up to the store on his off day and fixed the broken motor in the cart pusher. Is the TM a mechanic or even going to be asked to do this as part of their job? No, but it is working off the clock just the same.

Your ETLs will never let you do this for the following reasons:

1. Target has a corporate IT policy. Your software would have to be approved by HQ.
2. You developed this software for Target off the clock. (i.e. it is unpaid work)
3. Your ETLs (not even your STL) do not have the authority to approve software for use by Target employees. IT at headquarters has to do that.

The bad thing about this? Number 2 above is likely going to get you termed for working off the clock.

I know you want to be helpful, but the proper way to go about this is to actually apply for an IT job with Target... the way you are trying to do this is going to get you termed.

If they give you trouble about 'working off the clock', tell them you'll do a punch correction for all the time spent developing it.

The guy is going to get termed or at the very least going to be written up. "Doing a punch correction" is not an acceptable answer for working off the clock outside of scheduled hours.

What you are saying is basically equal to a TM randomly coming in on his off day in red and khaki, not clocking in, getting on a register, and checking people out. Then when an ETL comes over and asks WTF that TM is doing coming in on their off day and randomly working, the TM says "I'll just do a punch correction" That is a write up/term waiting to happen.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back