Archived ideas on RC...how to bring up the subject with a guest...please be serious with the ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

pellinore

Life sucks and nothing good can come of it.
Sometimes, when the weather is crummy outside I'll say something about avoiding the weather for a few minutes....and stay inside for a few minutes...and apply for a RC.

I'll tell my first guest of the day that the whole tone of my day will be set during the transaction....SO, would like to make my day and get a RC?

I'll tell my final guest (which is not often easy to determine) that they could easily make my day by getting a RC.

If I see someone with somthing expensive, if The cost comes up or if I have to refer someone to traget.com I mention the 5% and/or the free shipping.

I've even pulled out my own red debt card to show guests that I like the debt card so much I have one.

I greet them, then wait until I can ask, "would you be interested in saving an extra 5% today with a target card?"

If the say no, I respond not a problem, if they look like they are pondering it I tell them the benefits and types, if they say they have one, I then say well then the answer is yes, because you are going to be saving an extra 5%.

Then I drop it and wait for them to dig their change out....

(Seriously, I have gotten at least 1 a shift the last 2 weeks, some days 3. It seems to be working best for me, nothing corny, just cut to the chase.)

when I see people with large orders and they are using a check I will say - If you opened a redcard debit version - you save 5% and that is a lot on this order - enough to go out to dinner and not cook tonight. You never have to use it again, but if you have it, you can choose to use it any time you like and save 5% each time. It would especially useful for big orders like this one.
Guest: I don't know how to use debit cards
Me: it's not that hard and the cashier can help you with your transactions. Just pick a 4 digit pin number that only you will know and remember. When you are done with your order, you write the amount in your check register as you would do with any check you write.

As they are thinking, I take out the application and say shall we proceed? Nine times out of 10 they do.

My check writers are writing checks because they don't like cards. Those ones I make sure I point out it isn't really a debit card, but a check card. That spot has no access to their bank info, we just submit an electronic check.

I really wish they would rebrand it echeck instead of debit.

I do not do well with "the cheese" at all. Now if a guest starts bantering with me, I can slip some in....

I don't beg, it's unladylike.

"Hi, how are you doing today?"
"Fine"
"Would you like to save 5% today?"
"no"
"Even if it's not a credit card?"
"n- what?"
"The Target debit card is TOTALLY FREE there are no fees, ever. It acts just like your regular debit card- you swipe it and the money comes out of your checking account- but you just use it at Target and you save 5% on everything, anytime you shop, you get free shipping from target.com and you get an extra 30 days on most returns. It costs nothing to get the card and there are no fees for using it. All you need to sign up is a check from the account you want to use!"
"I don't have a check."
"Okay, I'll put one of these brochures in your bag so you can read some more about it and maybe sign up next time. You would have saved about seven dollars on this transaction."

I'm still getting guests, every once in a while, who still think the breach was only Target branded cards. I inform them as to what really happened, with what time I may have with them, and hope to the gods that they don't proceed to not shop at Target again because of what really happened. However, I do make sure they hear that the Target branded cards were much safer when the breach happened...

As far as driving cards... If someone is trying on an article of clothing and we don't have the right size in the right color, I encourage them to try on the right size in a different color and tell them about free shipping. I honestly don't try very hard.

I've even pulled out my own red debt card to show guests that I like the debt card so much I have one.

Do you not pay your monthly bill? Or are you talking about the debit card? :D

If you understood what I said my spelling was close enough for me. Its not easy to type or do anything with a twenty pound cat on your keyboard.

If you understood what I said my spelling was close enough for me. Its not easy to type or do anything with a twenty pound cat on your keyboard.

Lol I knew what you meant. But it totally makes sense, seeing as many people don't pay the balance on time and end up in debt.

Just teach it him/her to type and you'll be all set.

He'd just type "FEED ME" over and over.

I think its sad that this is the case, but the only way I can see myself putting any effort into redcards anymore is to make it a parody.

I only have a few more weeks left and I've considered coming in dressed like an old-west snake oil salesman and doing the whole act about redcards. About how they will not only save you 5%, but restore your vitality and vigor, allow you to lift a carriage, and jump the grandest of canyons.

Just teach it him/her to type and you'll be all set.

He'd just type "FEED ME" over and over.

Did you name your kitty Audrey?

Nope, but as a cat he is always demanding and usually hungry.

Edit: His name would be a dead give away to anyone who knew me.

Last edited:
if someone is using coupons, make a big deal how much the coupons saved them and then say "did you know you could save 5% more?" I always would make a deal about how it has our logo on it but it works with their bank and own checking account. If someone is buying groceries you can let them know that they could save 5% on their groceries, no one gives you deals on groceries! Grandparents are always interested in helping out schools so use that angle. Find out what kind of guest you are dealing with then use what interests them.
For all of you GSTLs, if you are a member of your kids PTA, talk about it at a meeting. Find out how much $$ a local school has received from TCOE. We did that a year ago. One meeting and one mention, next thing I knew they had it in their newsletter and online newsletter too. People were asking us to sign them up.

I think there is only so much that team members can do to sell the RC. Spot needs to realize that the whole security mishap....has made a lot of guests gun shy. They should spend more money on media blow outs to prmote the Red card and explain how they have taken steps to prohibit another security lapse. Then if you Spot wants team members to promote the RC like crazy....pay them more .

I think there is only so much that team members can do to sell the RC. Spot needs to realize that the whole security mishap....has made a lot of guests gun shy. They should spend more money on media blow outs to prmote the Red card and explain how they have taken steps to prohibit another security lapse. Then if you Spot wants team members to promote the RC like crazy....pay them more .

So you feel if you get paid $15.00 an hour you will try harder to get red cards?

So you feel if you get paid $15.00 an hour you will try harder to get red cards?
I am saying that if Spot wants to overcome the security mis hap they need to spend some money...with a mass media blitz etc instead of dumping it on the front end to do ..We all should be paid more for what we do and put up with ...but I don't think that's going to happen I have said on this site before...that I have nothing but repsect for the front end...

I don't work at the front end to say for sure but being paid a living wage would probably boost most peoples job performance.

I don't work at the front end to say for sure but being paid a living wage would probably boost most peoples job performance.

This. You get what you pay for.

I respectfully disagree. I also am not a cashier. The point I was trying to make is " you can't get blood out of a stone". After reading all the threads on red cards, I feel, most cashiers feel they are doing everything possible to get a red card and are very frustrated. Making more money per hr will not help, IMO.

I respectfully disagree. I also am not a cashier. The point I was trying to make is " you can't get blood out of a stone". After reading all the threads on red cards, I feel, most cashiers feel they are doing everything possible to get a red card and are very frustrated. Making more money per hr will not help, IMO.

I can see your point. But I was referring to those TMs who simply don't give a flying fuck. The ones who don't ask about Red Cards and service plans, stand around and chat at the fitting room or electronics boat instead of zoning/re-shop/whatever, take 30 minute breaks and hour lunches, and call in every Friday night because they'd rather go out drinking than earn a paycheck. The ones who shouldn't have been hired in the first place, and yet we wonder why they haven't been fired yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back