Archived If an infant item is opened...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reshop Ninja

Softlines Dps
I have been told on a number of occasions that we can't sell opened infant items such as car seats, strollers and the like because it is a liability issue. I would like to know if this is actually Target policy or if it's just BS to keep guests from opening stuff that hasn't been sold yet. The reason I'm curious is because I had an LOD approve the sale of a crib that the guest knew had been opened and repackaged. ( Ok, I admit that the main reason I want to know is because the LOD humiliated me by selling that crib even though I had told the guest we couldn't sell it because it might not be safe for their baby.)

It depends on the item. If the package has all paperwork, parts & is not broken, sell it. You can take any item off the floor or to the fitting room, if you think the items further inspection. If you find it broken, defect it out at guest service.

If they're returned and were opened we definitely defect the items. I'm less sure what the official stance is on opened items that never left the store however.

If the item has been assembled, even partially (car seat, swing, stroller, bouncer, playpen, etc) it MUST be defected out.
Because Target cannot verify who assembled the item or if it was done correctly, the item must be destroyed.
Your ETL is opening your store up to a huge liability if the infant suffers any kind of injury & it was traced to an opened item returned to stock.

If the item has been assembled, even partially (car seat, swing, stroller, bouncer, playpen, etc) it MUST be defected out.
Because Target cannot verify who assembled the item or if it was done correctly, the item must be destroyed.
Your ETL is opening your store up to a huge liability if the infant suffers any kind of injury & it was traced to an opened item returned to stock.

I can't be sure but I strongly suspect that the item was a return. The new people at our guest service are really sloppy and have a very bad habit of putting returned items into reshop carts that should definitely be defected out. The packaging on the crib looked really torn up and someone had done a half-assed job taping it up which is typical of those particular team members. The really messed up thing is that the LOD who approved the sale was the ETL over Assets Protection who should know better than that.

I was always taught that if an item is opened and or the packaging is damaged to ask yourself...would I want to buy this looking like this ? I don't have have children but I wouldn't buy a crib that had been repackaged .

A guest perspective from before I worked at Target...

Our Britax car seat was an online return to a Target store that had clearly been opened and was barely held in the box witb a ton of tape. We inspected it carefully when we got it home and everything was there and the seat was in perfect new condition.

Glad it was put on the floor and not defected, because it was a great deal on a better seat than we otherwise could have afforded at the time.

Our Britax car seat was an online return to a Target store that had clearly been opened and was barely held in the box witb a ton of tape. We inspected it carefully when we got it home and everything was there and the seat was in perfect new condition.

Glad it was put on the floor and not defected, because it was a great deal on a better seat than we otherwise could have afforded at the time.

That is a good point, that the product didn't go to waste. However, not everyone is as diligent as you when it comes to checking the overall quality of opened merchandise.

If I wouldn't purchase it for my infant, I would probably not expect another to. That's just my personal opinion. Of course, I'm the type of mother that checks all my kid's Halloween candy when we get home. I might be more picky than others.

I wouldn't raise hell about it. I'd just as someone to take a look at it and make sure it was good to go. I don't trust opened items for my babies.

As long as the item has not been noticeably used or assembled in any fashion, and its entire contents and documents are included, then its fine to put it back on the floor.

Of course, there's also the potential for a flaw you weren't able to notice, which could then result in a dead baby. That'd then lead to a multi-million dollar lawsuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back