Archived If I call in sick just once during probation period, will I get written up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So technically I'm not scheduled tomorrow, but everyone got asked to come in to help. But I've been vomiting and having really bad stomach pains all night. I think I'm just really dehydrated, but I can't keep anything down. If I call in tomorrow morning (I'm on flow at 4am) and say I can't make it will there be any serious repercussions? I go back in monday. I think I just need to rest this off.

You could try checking online if they added you, but I'm not sure how fast that updates. You could just call in the morning and tell them that they asked you to come in but you are sick and can't come in. You should be fine with calling in this time as long as you don't make it a habit.

You could try checking online if they added you, but I'm not sure how fast that updates. You could just call in the morning and tell them that they asked you to come in but you are sick and can't come in. You should be fine with calling in this time as long as you don't make it a habit.
I've tried calling twice now and no one is answering. but I know I definitely can't go in considering the condition i'm in.

I've tried calling twice now and no one is answering. but I know I definitely can't go in considering the condition i'm in.
I'd just keep trying, but maybe wait a little bit. Someone will answer at some point. Technically you have until 2 hours after you were supposed to start before it is a no call no show, and let them know you've been trying to call since before the shift. Worst case if they try to tell you it was a NCNS next time you go in show them your phone log that shows you tried calling multiple times before the shift started.

I'd just keep trying, but maybe wait a little bit. Someone will answer at some point. Technically you have until 2 hours after you were supposed to start before it is a no call no show, and let them know you've been trying to call since before the shift. Worst case if they try to tell you it was a NCNS next time you go in show them your phone log that shows you tried calling multiple times before the shift started.
Well, I got a hold of the manager just now. Explained my situation. And she said even though I wasn't scheduled and asked to come in, that during my 90 days probation period they review attendance and that helps them decide who they keep. Which I'm aware of. However, I've been over 20 minutes early to all of my shifts and have come in before when asked. So I'm hoping if this is just a one time thing it shouldn't be a big deal. I hope.

tbh I'm not really sure why she bothered to mention that if you weren't even scheduled in the end

you technically didnt call out i'm sure you'll be fine

She sounded really irritated. But I'm just going to try not to let my anxiety and instant worst case scenario way of thinking get the best of me. If I get fired for showing up on all my scheduled days, even way early, and work overtime when asked and have come in when asked to every other time, and the one day I miss is because I've been vomiting and shitting for the entire night with stomach pains and sweating profusely on a day I wasn't even scheduled. Then so be it. I just saved them a clean up on aisle A29.

it depends on your TL really if youre not hitting all the right buttons with them, then it could mean "nope". especially if they are a stickler for attendance. worse case senario, you're not kept after that you are but they brush you off onto another team. they tell you flat out during orientation that you have to be "perfect" during your trail period.

but on a more positive note: your TL could have just said that so if you do not get hired you cant say you werent warned about the 90 day stuff regarding that and didnt mean anything by it.

it depends on your TL really if youre not hitting all the right buttons with them, then it could mean "nope". especially if they are a stickler for attendance. worse case senario, you're not kept after that you are but they brush you off onto another team. they tell you flat out during orientation that you have to be "perfect" during your trail period.

but on a more positive note: your TL could have just said that so if you do not get hired you cant say you werent warned about the 90 day stuff regarding that and didnt mean anything by it.
We were told in orientation that if you are late or call in multiple times that it could then be a problem. But not once, because things happen. I think I'm just overthinking things. Once again. Oh well, I'm going to finally get some sleep now since my stomach pains aren't as bad. But what do you mean shifted over to a different team?

We were told in orientation that if you are late or call in multiple times that it could then be a problem. But not once, because things happen. I think I'm just overthinking things. Once again. Oh well, I'm going to finally get some sleep now since my stomach pains aren't as bad. But what do you mean shifted over to a different team?
It's fine. Just dont make it a habit. You're probationary so you're not protected by company policies, they could literally just fire you for whatever reason they want during the 90 days. Will they do that for this one time? Likely not, just be excited to be back tomorrow and ready to take on the day, even if you're still sick. It will only be 4 hours or so of work.

Last edited:
Life happens. People get sick. Spot knows this ( although they don't act like it most of the time ). The tl shouldn't had given you a lecture when you called. When you called they should had just said ok and that's it . I never understood why tls. etls etc feel the need to lecture someone when they call out . If a tm has made the choice to call out then that's there choice to make ( whether it was a good one or not ) you are calling to let them know not ask permission.

well, at least at my store, we've had people start on 1 team but after 90 days get shifted to another team because they felt the TM was best suited for that team in stead of where ever.

and ive noticed they can be so cheap that when someone calls out sick, they wont use those hours because were over on the budget or the budget was so poor that "hey people please call out and save us money!" was the mentality.

Well, all stores are different but you should be fine. In my 90 days, I called out about 5 times and nothing happened to me. Now i had a head injury so that may be a tad different but you won't get in trouble for one time I'm sure.

There was a girl who was terrible at everything they had her do (zone, reshop, pulls, etc) and called in pretty frequently and they still kept her. Obviously thats my store and not yours, but I wouldn't be worried about it if I were you. As long as you don't keep doing it you should be fine.

Idk. I'm in my 90 days still and I called out maybe my 2nd week because I was going through a medication withdrawal that left me with a bad case of vertigo (literally couldn't read anything or even move without feeling faint) and my HR LOD didn't even ask what was wrong with me when I called. he literally just said ok so idk. I think you'll be fine if you think you're doing a good job

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back