Archived If you find a gift card.......

What would you do if you found a gift card or cash?

• I'd turn it in to guest services

Votes: 79 83.2%
  • I'd keep what I found

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • It would depend on where I found it

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • It would depend on the amount

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I know the rules, but I'd still have to think about what I would do

Votes: 4 4.2%
  • I prefer not to answer

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • If I found it while off the clock....I'd keep it.

Votes: 13 13.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

pellinore

Life sucks and nothing good can come of it.
technically any found money or gift cards are supposed to be turned in to guest services....however, have you ever found one of these items and actually kept what you found?

I won't lie....I've turned in gift cards that I've found at the front lanes....but I have kept a gift card that I found on the floor while walking in the store.

not worth it to me. we've had TMs get termed for this because it would be considered theft. gift card history is tracked!

I would ignore it. Same with money. I found a $20 bill on the floor in seasonal once. Ignored it and told a SrTL who was just in an aisle over. When we looked again, a guest picked it up. We laughed it off.

Yeah, even off the clock, I wouldn't keep any money I found in my own store. Too sticky of a situation for me. And of course, on the clock would just be idiotic.

However, I've found money in other public places, and I've kept it. My rule is, if it's in a place where it would be impossible to find the owner, like a street, park, etc....and there's no identifying information, then their misfortune is my good luck.

I'd leave it since I couldn't tell how much was on it. However, I always keep cash I find. Manly because if you turn it in, it just goes back to the store.

As AP, I recommend NEVER EVER using a giftcard that you found on the ground. All it needs to do is trigger an exception and it will flag you. Not worth it. Cash on the other hand....still risky if it ends up being reported to AP and the guest knows where they lost it at. If the cash somehow fell out of a till, your screwed big time.

i've found a gift card with $80 left on it by the front lanes, and i've found tons of $5 ones left behind or by the registers, also a $20 bill behind a register and i've turned them all in. it's not worth my job and i know it can all be tracked. i found a dollar once and kept it but that was before i read all of the stories on here and became paranoid.

If I found a gift card, I'd go to the nearest register and check the balance. If it was empty, I'd toss it; otherwise I'd walkie or flag down the GSTL/GSA so they can lock it up at the service desk.

I would turn it in, as knew a team member that transferred to another store and was terminated for picking up a gift card in the parking lot and not turning it in.

What that is rediculous. In the Parking Lot and get termed? That AP must have literally nothing else to do

How can they possibly keep track of all gift cards? Suppose someone has a gift card as a present....they lose the card. Someone else finds it and uses it.

What is there to track on a gift card.....especially if it hadn't been bought at the store where it is found? How do they know who uses it?

I know that it is easy to track the promotional gift cards, however, if a guest gets a card in Denver, Colorado and the card is used in Omaha, Nebraska.....how could a connection be made between the two places?

Or, if a TM finds a card and then sends it to a friend as a birthday gift, how does Target know that it was a TM who found the card in the first place?

Perhaps a TM finds a card and then goes to a different Target to use it....how can it be tracked?

I don't doubt that people have gotten termed for abusing gift cards....but I do think that there are plenty of times when a gift card could be found and used and no one would be the wiser.

How can they possibly keep track of all gift cards? Suppose someone has a gift card as a present....they lose the card. Someone else finds it and uses it.

What is there to track on a gift card.....especially if it hadn't been bought at the store where it is found? How do they know who uses it?

I know that it is easy to track the promotional gift cards, however, if a guest gets a card in Denver, Colorado and the card is used in Omaha, Nebraska.....how could a connection be made between the two places?

Or, if a TM finds a card and then sends it to a friend as a birthday gift, how does Target know that it was a TM who found the card in the first place?

Perhaps a TM finds a card and then goes to a different Target to use it....how can it be tracked?

I don't doubt that people have gotten termed for abusing gift cards....but I do think that there are plenty of times when a gift card could be found and used and no one would be the wiser.
If you use your TM discount with it, that's the main red flag (especially if it was activated on your register).

I'd imagine it's something like if a gift card is purchased with John Smith's credit card and then later used with Sally Sue's TM discount, it would flag with AP.

If you find a gift card and then use your TM discount when you use it...well, you are asking for trouble.

Well, who is to say that John Smith didn't buy the card and then give it to Sally Sue as a "thank-you" present? Then Sally Sue is able to use the gift card.

My guess is that people who are termed for reasons related to gift cards have already been on a watch list because of other stupid things that they have done.

In our store, we often use gift cards as treats.....gift cards that have been left by guests.....and never claimed.

How does this compare to lost cards being put into a "store wide" fund? So, the store benefits....from their own "fraudulent" gift cards. Is the fact that the store uses the cards for themselves any less "fraudulent?"

Last edited:
Posted this before: I worked with a BR TM who found a gift card in the parking lot and was terminated within a day or two after using it.

Now, if I see a gift card, paper or coin currency on the ground in the store, or in Target's parking lot, I just leave it there and walk on by. If I'm on register and a guest leaves a gift card (or credit/debit card) behind the next person who touches it is the GSA or GSTL whom I've called over to my lane.

Paranoid? Probably, but if Spot wants to get rid of you, for any reason at all, they will use even the smallest infraction to do it.

And, I'm sure, my next paycheck will be much larger than anything I find on the ground at Target.

Gift cards I turn in twice I've found a 5 dollar bill laying in the parking lot and used it to buy coffee. Anything larger id turn in

If it's a gift card or like a $20 bill I'd always turn it in. If it's a $1 dollar bill on the ground outside the store I'd probably keep it.

As AP I highly advise you to do what you want, and I prefer you don't have any type of moral code and live a free life and not worry about anything. It makes my day that much more fun.
Yeah, but i prefer to keep my aptl busy earning her paycheck...wondering what I know about things...

...especially after the tm who got a final for stealing didn't get me shit as a thank you. Handed her proof, she just had to check the cameras for that date/ time and paperwork. Not even a great team card...

Posted this before: I worked with a BR TM who found a gift card in the parking lot and was terminated within a day or two after using it.

Now, if I see a gift card, paper or coin currency on the ground in the store, or in Target's parking lot, I just leave it there and walk on by. If I'm on register and a guest leaves a gift card (or credit/debit card) behind the next person who touches it is the GSA or GSTL whom I've called over to my lane.

Paranoid? Probably, but if Spot wants to get rid of you, for any reason at all, they will use even the smallest infraction to do it.

And, I'm sure, my next paycheck will be much larger than anything I find on the ground at Target.

That just seems absolutely INSANE to me. Especially a BR TM who obviously never does any cashiering for potential "fraud" All for like a $5 giftcard..WOW

Should have been a 100 reward. I would bring it up
We are three aptl down the road....I did to that aptl and was told it was only for 2k or over in theft. I'm guessing she didn't admit I caught them and took credit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back