Archived I'm not feeling well, but I'm seasonal... /:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there, so I'm seasonal at Target this season and yesterday I was cashiering and I felt very ill. Sore throat, coughing, runny nose. I was aching all over. Probably the flu, I never got my flu shot this year... I mustered through my shift and afterwards went home and rested and drank fluids and all that good stuff, but I still feel ill and I have work tomorrow. I'm a great team member and I work really hard and am very personable and friendly and really rock the vibe and I'm never late... but I'm seasonal. I feel like if I call off all my chances of being kept are ruined. I know some people that have called off and are being kept from what I understand... but I don't know if I'm that lucky... Does anybody have experience being a seasonal sicky?

If you have a temperature, stay home. Call the Lod, 2 hours before your shift. 2nd option, go in to work, have the Lod or your tl take one look at you, starting hacking away. Then, ask them, can I go home please.

we don't let seasonal people go just because they call in once. If you are truly sick call in as early as possible (at least two hours before your shift) and it should be fine. Don't go into work if you are sick. You will just make everyone else sick!

You can always walk in a few hours early coughing, sneezing, and snoting w/ temperature and talk to the LOD & TLs and let them personally know you are sick. Then be a quite forward and try to shake their hands after wiping your nose. :spiteful:

Everyone has their personal tolerances when under the weather. I could work with most minor sinus infections or head colds. I even worked with major grease burns and kidney infections; then again I was on some awesome meds.

Just let them know ASAP so they can fill your shift. If you can get a doctors note, it may help. But being seasonal, its always a slim chance they will keep you. Just don't kill yourself trying to keep them happy.

Fill the shift?????

Hahahahaha. That's the best one I've seen in a while. *glares in the general direction of the break out in exhaustion*

They do so love to make up hours by letting the teams run short.

You should be fine, but be as professional as you can about it. I don't know if anyone actually pays attention, but when I know I'm coming down with something I tend to mention it to anyone I'm talking with if it falls into the conversation (basically, I don't hide the fact that I'm not feeling well). That way if I do have to call off the next day, people *should* remember that I genuinely am not well.

Also, call in as early in the day as you can, or the night before if its an open shift. Two hours before shift is the CUTOFF time; not the recommended time. The earlier you call off, the more opportunity they have to adjust and the less of an inconvenience it is, the less likely they will remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back