improving DU times

DBZ

What do you do to help your team stay green on DU? We are going through a hard time right now. We used to do this in 2 minutes. Now we can't get it done in 3!

Honestly. it's just DU volume increasing.

Something that my store and another store in our district did was they attached coat hangers to their 3-tiers. Helps with the small annoying orders.
Our store does something similiar to that but uses these.

GUEST_762b587d-0e3e-4e76-b11f-1d9abdbbbf5e.jpg

That being said no one wants to do drive ups with all the crappy weather as of late.

What has changed?

We lost a several strong people and have a bunch of new kids. All we have ever had to do was check the times in MPM and the team wanted to get the time down. We've always seemed to have people who love to do DU and right now they need more motivation, There is no sense of urgency.

How about you get your times down or you don’t get to do DU anymore? That should be motivation for those TMs who like doing it.

are the front end leads and etl jumping in to support drive up when needed? because this was the biggest morale killer at my store. we had a culture of wanting to be green because we felt supported by our leadership and we were motivated to do it for them (since we know bad metrics fall on them). we went through a bad period with leadership ignoring our needs and morale went down quickly and our times were completely RED (like worst in the district when we were always towards the top BAD). we felt understaffed and under appreciated and our times definitely suffered for it because why go the extra mile when no one cares or will give help when needed. luckily, we’ve started turning that around again.

How about you get your times down or you don’t get to do DU anymore? That should be motivation for those TMs who like doing it.
And replace them with who? I hear this a lot. You need to move faster. Or what? You'll replace me with all the people breaking the doors to work here. I'm not saying people shouldn't work hard. And who's to say those next people, untrained mind you, will be any better?

No. At my store we have people who like doing DU but they are scheduled as cashiers and only get to do DU in a pinch. Of course, we are a store that doesn't have a dedicated DU area so it's a little different.

How about you get your times down or you don’t get to do DU anymore? That should be motivation for those TMs who like doing
And replace them with who? I hear this a lot. You need to move faster. Or what? You'll replace me with all the people breaking the doors to work here. I'm not saying people shouldn't work hard. And who's to say those next people, untrained mind you, will be any better?
I agree with you!! My store had the same problem lazy people or no people. We finally hired some new people who are much better.

Drive up is so spurty and unpredictable. Sometimes we have 3 team members scheduled and there are times when for an hour or two period of that, one would have been sufficient. There are other times when it is 9:30 pm and only one drive up person is scheduled, with one at service desk and one at self check out and no other cashiers (so no one to pull to move to DU) and 7 cars arrive, with half not mentioning that they are coming and another 4 on the way.

I get what you're saying but I agree with the OP in some cases. My store has people doing DU since it first rolled out. They're all college kids who fuck around and chat while guests are waiting.

if they replaced the DU TMs with my Tech TMs we would have that shit down to like. 1 minute.

are the front end leads and etl jumping in to support drive up when needed? because this was the biggest morale killer at my store. we had a culture of wanting to be green because we felt supported by our leadership and we were motivated to do it for them (since we know bad metrics fall on them). we went through a bad period with leadership ignoring our needs and morale went down quickly and our times were completely RED (like worst in the district when we were always towards the top BAD). we felt understaffed and under appreciated and our times definitely suffered for it because why go the extra mile when no one cares or will give help when needed. luckily, we’ve started turning that around again.

Yes, this is a big one. All day long we hear calls to back up OPU and the front end. No one comes to help drive up. Not even our ETL or TLs. Well, one does, but the other surely does not! It is sooooo demoralizing.

I get what you're saying but I agree with the OP in some cases. My store has people doing DU since it first rolled out. They're all college kids who fuck around and chat while guests are waiting.

if they replaced the DU TMs with my Tech TMs we would have that shit down to like. 1 minute.

I think everyone on OPU should be trained on taking out DUs. It also wouldn't hurt to train other people. I think more people should be cross trained in other areas even if they are a poor performer. You might find a place where they fit better.

When I help out DU I make myself the expediter, pulling orders and assigning them to carts/tms. If the problem is staffing there's no solution. But if things could be done more efficiently, my first place to start would be organization.

Yes, this is a big one. All day long we hear calls to back up OPU and the front end. No one comes to help drive up. Not even our ETL or TLs. Well, one does, but the other surely does not! It is sooooo demoralizing.
Do you let them know you need help? Our DU team will always let the leader know when they need back up because of double taps or numerous acknowledgements at the same time because if they don't know you need it there is no reason to send assistance.

Back