In-house Interviews

We have many TL positions at our store with a new HR. Can she turn a TM down to interview? HR knows nothing about their experience or how they would interview. Plus the experience to give the interviewe having the interview. Is it just laziness or unethical?

We have many TL positions at our store with a new HR. Can she turn a TM down to interview? HR knows nothing about their experience or how they would interview. Plus the experience to give the interviewe having the interview. Is it just laziness or unethical?
Apply for it.

Anything documented she will be able to view. Plus, you'd have to get your ETL/SD blessing to interview.

Anything documented she will be able to view. Plus, you'd have to get your ETL/SD blessing to interview.
That’s who is denying the interviews. ETL HR and SD. Why though? Isn’t it unethical if they don’t even know their experience?

At my store the EtL hr and the Sd know all team members in the store. Is it possible that your hr ETL also knows the team members applying and doesn’t think their team leader qualified?

That’s who is denying the interviews. ETL HR and SD. Why though? Isn’t it unethical if they don’t even know their experience?
They may not know there past but, they 100% know there target experience and they can deny them an interview based on that. Why interview someone you know your not going to give the job to.

Unless the TM had an unfavorable review or is on corrective action I would think that HR would do an interview for the best Spot reason: “to make things look fair”.

If you truly feel the EtL hr is being unfair you could talk to the ETL of the department you want to apply to be leader of. If the ETL feels like you deserve an interview they can get you one.

I remember when a TL and a TSS position were open at my store. Spot did not interview all the internal people who applied.

However, you can apply on workday. They can't stop you from doing that. Doing it would show you are more serious then just words.

My store did not always post an open position, but when they did they interviewed whoever applied. Of course they generally already knew who they were going to give it to, but they did the interviews anyway for appearances sake.

If they arent being transparent with why the TM was not allowed to apply, they could always call the integrity hotline. A TM is entitled to know why they were denied.
But you should only do it if you are the one not beinf accepted and not being given a reason.

My store did not always post an open position, but when they did they interviewed whoever applied. Of course they generally already knew who they were going to give it to, but they did the interviews anyway for appearances sake.
That’s what I want. I know they have their click. Give young TM’s experience interviewing.

If they arent being transparent with why the TM was not allowed to apply, they could always call the integrity hotline. A TM is entitled to know why they were denied.
But you should only do it if you are the one not beinf accepted and not being given a reason.
It’s all guys. I even read that we were trying to get woman and woman of color in leadership positions. They are saying no to all the younger girls that are very good at their jobs.

Store leadership usually has an idea of who they want to develop or promote. They may or may not elect to have interviews.

Apply for it and make a strong case for yourself if called.

Store leadership usually has an idea of who they want to develop or promote. They may or may not elect to have interviews.

Apply for it and make a strong case for yourself if called.
I was given my reason today.

Last edited:
We are supposed to interview everyone that applies for the job internally. I think there is probably exceptions if they have a ca or final though.
They are refusing TMs that they are mentoring for leadership.

They are refusing TMs that they are mentoring for leadership.
It's all speculation unless you're the one interviewing and you've asked your SD/leader directly.

Unfortunately it also boils down to support from your leader. Internal apps need approval from your direct leader to go forward; it's step one on the internal application job aid even.

Back