Archived In Pipeline Program, Is it possible to become Sr.TL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all!

This is my first post on the forum, although I have been checking the site out here and there. I just had a general question, I am currently in the pipeline program for TL development, and was wondering if there is anything special that has to be done to be a Sr.TL vs being a regular TL? Is it possible to be put into a Sr.TL role after my interviews have been done and development has been completed? If anyone knows, I'd really appreciate it. I'm looking for any insight as to if there are any steps to becoming Sr.TL vs TL. Thank you for all of your help!

Short Answer: It's possible. I've done it and there wasn't anything special that I had to do outside of TL prep.

Longer answer: All stores are not the same. In my experience, it's a store-level decision, so the most important thing would be to have the support of your ETL and, more importantly, STL. If they have a SrTL opening, they have the pick of the litter from their current TLs, so you are at a disadvantage compared to them. You will have to prove to upper management that you would be a better choice than any current TL and they probably have a few that are high potential, so it's not easy to do. From spot's perspective, it's easier to take a known TL and move them up and replace the TL with a TM. It's possible to make the jump though, you just have to work hard and be in the right situation.

You need to have a high scope and be able to tie the different functions of the workcenters together so you can see the big picture. You need to be able to maintain the results from your department while reaching out to other departments and providing support. What can you do to make someone else's job easier? Think store-wide. SrTL differs from TL in the addition of LOD responsibilities, so you must be able to step back and take a more hands-off approach to your own department since you will have less time to dedicate. How is your time management? Taking on additional responsibilities outside of the scope of your workcenter is a great way to show them you are mastering your current role and managing your time well.

I've seen the jump from TM to Sr.TL but a degree was helpful in getting the job over other TLs.

Pipeline program? What's that all about?

It varies a lot by district, but most (if not all) have some sort of pipeline to prepare people they want as leaders in the future.

My first district interviewed TL-ready candidates, and placed them on a "bench" until something opened up and they were slotted into it. Not a big program.

My current district, and store specifically, has an entire development program set up with development tasks and materials made up by somebody in the district for high potential team members and people who want to grow with the company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back