Archived Interviewing with our DTL and HR Manager for an Electronics TL position. Any advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got word today that I passed my first two interviews and that my schedule was going to be sent to our DTL so he could visit our store for a "casual" interview to discuss metrics and what not. Kind of nervous and looking for any advice. Thanks. :)

By now, you basically have the job. It is yours to lose. Know sales, comp, .com sales, basket size, and any department specific numbers. Your ETL can help you know what your DTL thinks is important. But if it weren't sales, I'd be shocked.

By now, you basically have the job. It is yours to lose. Know sales, comp, .com sales, basket size, and any department specific numbers. Your ETL can help you know what your DTL thinks is important. But if it weren't sales, I'd be shocked.

I honestly don't know any of that stuff. I'm currently in signing and it hasn't been a priority to learn. Anything for me to look up today while at work? I'll try to ask an ETL for advice on what our DTL expects. Thanks!

Go to MyPerformance on Workbench for sales info. Have a general idea of where your store stands YTD and WTD. Probably not a bad idea to know the numbers for Electronics and Entertainment as well. Check out AAR, and SRPs also. The opening LOD should be getting all of the info you might need, as he will want to be prepared for the visit too. DTL won't really expect you to have it all memorized, but to have a good idea where your store stands. You can have a cheat sheet with you.
Around here, It's all about selling and basket size. He may also want to talk about e2e in Electronics if your store hasn't started it yet. Again, its about sales--having the team working while the guests are shopping.

You Got This!

Be proactive like @Yetive says. Drive sales, keep shelves full, communicate & train your team for success. Spot loves all that. At my store, no one messes with the electronics team. They are always ready for action, helping guests, zoning, researching, & flexing. they communicate with each other in a team effort to get it everything done, to get that sale.

I don't think a DTL expects a prospective TL to already know sales metrics. I think what's more important is the drive to improve upon existing practices and routines in order to better service guests and hopefully lead to improvements in sales.

They'll probably ask you about challenging upwards. Mine was very casual, don't be nervous and follow your DTL's lead. Don't pump out robo-dialer type answer and try to treat it as a normal conversation.

Oh, and as general interview advice, never say no to "So do you have any questions?". "What are your expectations for me in this role" and something like "What does a day in your role look like?" are good go-tos.

Last edited:
OP specifically mentioned metrics, so. . . . Better to be prepared I would say.

Metrics are irrelevant. Anyone can memorize a number.

Print them out and understand them. Gain an understanding of how to impact them. Speak to your leadership and how you will use that to drive your team to improve. YOU can't impact anything alone, and the bulk of the metrics will be influenced by your team and their direct behaviors. Being able to speak to how you will direct that will be infinitely more valued than just knowing metrics.

Leadership Things you can speak to:
-Communication: Tailoring how you communicate to each tm to help them better understand your expectations. Be fluid in your communication style, everyone responds to different methods.
-Confidence: Not being afraid to be the one to make unpopular decisions. If you're confident it's the right call, make it.
-Accountability: its key, in all things. Both your team and yourself.
-Lead by example is a sham. Lead by respect. If you train your team well, communicate, and take care of them, then they will go to bat for you.
-Time management: specifically knowing when to be hands on, and when to delegate. There is a time for both. Realists always accomplish the most.
-Help is never a bad thing: don't be afraid to ask for help. Reach out to peers, learn from experienced people who work for you. Find out what works and what doesn't. The people who do the work day in and day out often have the best suggestions for improvement, give them a voice.
-Always be on the lookout for people who are hungry to learn. Just because someone isn't s great leadership candidate doesn't mean they can't be a very strong asset. In everything you do, teach.

If you can speak to these things, and more importantly execute them, you'll get the job and be successful.

-Lead by example is a sham. Lead by respect. If you train your team well, communicate, and take care of them, then they will go to bat for you.

A lot of really good advice in your post but I have mixed feelings on this subject.
Sometimes to gain the respect of your people you need to lead from the front, get in there and get your hands dirty.
The general who sleeps with his men is the one they will follow to hell.

A lot of really good advice in your post but I have mixed feelings on this subject.
Sometimes to gain the respect of your people you need to lead from the front, get in there and get your hands dirty.
The general who sleeps with his men is the one they will follow to hell.

I agree, in the next line I speak to knowing when you need to get hands on. Generally if a team is struggling, then you get in and help. If they're crushing it, step back and make sure people know they're crushing it.

But yes, sometimes you need to lead the charge, especially when leading younger people (teens).

I was just informed yesterday that I wouldn't have to interview with the DTL any longer because I'm currently scheduled overnight for our remodel and it's inconvenient I suppose, so yeah... My STL passed me on and I go out for training after the remodel. :)

If you can speak to these things, and more importantly execute them, you'll get the job and be successful.

I can't thank you enough for everything you listed. I think it's a fantastic model to follow and get started with for someone who aspires to be a great team lead like myself. Do you have any suggestions for what I should ask my trainer to teach me to make sure I get the most out of my 2 weeks?

Thanks for all of the answers everyone!

I was just informed yesterday that I wouldn't have to interview with the DTL any longer because I'm currently scheduled overnight for our remodel and it's inconvenient I suppose, so yeah... My STL passed me on and I go out for training after the remodel. :)

I can't thank you enough for everything you listed. I think it's a fantastic model to follow and get started with for someone who aspires to be a great team lead like myself. Do you have any suggestions for what I should ask my trainer to teach me to make sure I get the most out of my 2 weeks?

Thanks for all of the answers everyone!

Much of your influence with your peers and leaders will come in the form of expert power and referent power. My personal choice would be to use the time to help develop a general daily routine, and to ask as many questions as possible. See what works for your mentor, and try to see how you can incorporate that. Ask to train at a another store if possible, fresh perspectives are always helpful, and also allows you to make connections.

7 Types of Power in the Workplace - hr bartender

It's a basic overview, but should give you a relative understanding on how others will view you. It will take time to get into a groove, but always try to learn something new each day. Look to long term Tls and Tms, especially the ones on specialty teams, for advice on how to do things easier.

This forum is also an excellent resource for a lot of process related questions, I learned quite a bit here when I was working at spot.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back