Archived Inventory for Receiving

Status
Not open for further replies.
My backroom inventory is this week, my backroom is completely prepped except for receiving. This is my first year running it, does anyone have a guide or helpful tips for receiving?

More specifically:
Which vendor products are counted?
How do you count and organize them?
Do you count your milk?
Do you count ESIM?

• ALL vendor product is to be counted. Follow the "do I count this?" sheet on workbench under inventory process. All product is scanned in the store except the departments and classes listed as do not count.
  • Also greeting cards this year are only counted in stores that end in an odd number. We do not have to do anything special for this though.
  • For inventory at my store my receiver typically fills out the pre-count sheets for the vendor product. I believe he does this the day of inventory but I am not 100% sure. Pre-counts make it much easier to count and will provide a more accurate number. Make sure that someone is auditing the pre-count sheets. Auditing is typically done by the AP store leader.
  • YES! Count the milk!
  • ESIM does not need to be counted as it has been defected out.

• For inventory at my store my receiver typically fills out the pre-count sheets for the vendor product. I believe he does this the day of inventory but I am not 100% sure. Pre-counts make it much easier to count and will provide a more accurate number. Make sure that someone is auditing the pre-count sheets. Auditing is typically done by the AP store leader.
Since vendors often come in after I leave for the day (Soft drink merchandisers usually come in twice and I hardly ever see Nabisco) I usually have the person that does the ordering count their own backstock.

Make sure you also have your credit bins emptied before inventory night or they have to be counted! Your Excell rep also has their own inventory procedure so he may need help filling out his sheet and finding things in the backroom.

Try to have your defectives bins clear the day prior. If it hasn't been marked out of stock, it has to be counted and I think RGIS would be thankful to not have to deal with that.

Thank you everyone for the responses! They've been a huge help :)

I still don't understand the need to count scan based items in the back, but whatever...

as someone who works on the other side of things (inventory service), I can attest that proper prep definitely leads to a quicker and more accurate inventory. Vender-serviced area can definitely be headaches, since vendors have a tendancy to not always keep their product organized in typical Target fashion.

Nothing worse than freezing your butt off in the back freezer having to deal with mixed pallets/wacos/carts of pizza/icecream/other-vendor-product. (or maybe in the big scheme of things, it doesn't matter if pepperoni pizzas and sausage pizzas all get counted together when it comes to vendor product, as it would all be the same dept/class and pricepoint, I dunno)

I couldn't agree more when it comes to preparedness. This was my first inventory where I was on the salesfloor and not backroom, which was rather hard for me because I'm picky and would have liked to been in control of the prep.

As for vendor merchandise, there's several of them that are scanned based (Edy's, Digiorno, Nestle novelties, breads) that don't keep quantities on our end so it's a little weird to us when you want to count them. Maybe it doesn't matter if pepperoni and sausage pizzas get counted together but it probably does since they have separate item numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back