Is GSTL role physically strenuous?

Happy Hollidays Everyone!
I’ve recently been diagnosed with degenerative disc disease. Not a lot can be done other than losing weight, exercising and not lifting heavy items (like lifting boxes/repacks while pushing truck).
I’m currently on the sales floor as a TM who pushes truck and sets all end caps but my back is taking a beating!
I’d like to promote to leadership but wonder which position is the least physically challenging. What about VM?
All responses appreciated!

I don't recommend vm since it doesn't require movement and lifting. SETL would still require you to move boxes and team lifts. You might get away with Making a tm do it but if you are the only person then you'd have to do it.

SETL isn’t much lifting but if you are short staffed and have to get a order pickup yourself 🤷🏽‍♂️.

I’m trying to think of leadership positions that doesn’t require lifting and I’m drawing a blank other than HRTL in a high volume store. Some smaller stores require the HRTL to help unload.

Our SETLs are also backup cart attendants, because sometimes you don't have the right cashiers to get carts or enough cashiers, but it is still the least amount of lifting. You might also consider starbucks TL

SETL isn't very sedentary. Not a ton of lifting big things but little things that can take a toll... OPUs/DUs/possible cashiering in a pinch/carts, etc.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!
Lifting OPUs wouldn’t be so bad. It’s the repeated lifting of overpacked repacks with the bottoms splitting that are the problems. Or trying to balance a very heavy shelf in a crouched position to align it to the slots when setting an end cap. I’m 61.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!
Lifting OPUs wouldn’t be so bad. It’s the repeated lifting of overpacked repacks with the bottoms splitting that are the problems. Or trying to balance a very heavy shelf in a crouched position to align it to the slots when setting an end cap. I’m 61.
I'm in my mid-fifties and have mild arthritis in my back. I've tweaked it a few times when trying to set shelves. There's one type that goes in place super easy, but one kind that is difficult to align and if you put it in the wrong slot, it's even more difficult to remove. So annoying!

Not that I answered your question, just wanted to say I understand, lol.

I don't recommend vm since it doesn't require movement and lifting. SETL would still require you to move boxes and team lifts. You might get away with Making a tm do it but if you are the only person then you'd have to do it.

Once they're in role, they can seek reasonable accommodations under the ADA. Could also seek accommodations now, but they'd likely get performanced out cause that's what Spot does.

Once they're in role, they can seek reasonable accommodations under the ADA. Could also seek accommodations now, but they'd likely get performanced out cause that's what Spot does.
I want clarify this- your accommodations can't prevent you from doing your job. Your still expected to deliver proformance.

Happy Hollidays Everyone!
I’ve recently been diagnosed with degenerative disc disease. Not a lot can be done other than losing weight, exercising and not lifting heavy items (like lifting boxes/repacks while pushing truck).
I’m currently on the sales floor as a TM who pushes truck and sets all end caps but my back is taking a beating!
I’d like to promote to leadership but wonder which position is the least physically challenging. What about VM?
All responses appreciated!

Definitely not VM. I helped out with that over Q4 and it was A LOT of heavy lifting, setting fixtures, balancing, trying not to accidentally dive off of the tippy tops of ladders... etc. If you're looking to stay away from anything heavy then definitely SETL, but please keep in mind you'll be running your ass off non-stop - including running drive-ups out in inclement weather. Depending on where you live... blizzard type conditions, icy ground, torrential downpours, blistering heat...

SETL isn't very sedentary. Not a ton of lifting big things but little things that can take a toll... OPUs/DUs/possible cashiering in a pinch/carts, etc.
Omgosh hysterical. Only experience/ observation with an SETL is one that wears daily high heals and nose in their cell phone. lol. And sits ,Alot, In TSC. Lol. Or screeches for backup in 5- 10 second intervals lol.

i would get fired for that
I forgot the -walking the store with other etl laughing and ignoring employees and guests. Made a bale with another etl 1X screaming and giggling the whole time, seen them help 1X with push...2 etl per flat...I m sure tomorrow will reveal more examples of acceptable work ethic here of certain employees. What is tolerated will continue.

Strenuous, no. You get to avoid most of that heavy, awkward movement that you get on the floor or in the backroom. But very busy on your feet all day for sure, and if you aren't lifting stuff every now and then you're probably not being helpful enough. One of the good things is that the movements are varied instead of being repeated all day, which to me is a big factor in maintaining back health. All that said, I'm tired as hell after 8 hours running the front.

I'm a service and engagement TL and lift a number of 50 pound boxes from floor to sholder daily. I fast walk 15 to 20 k steps a day and regularly push carts.

Is it nessisary for me to do that? Probably not but as the most mobile of the team I am usually the most likely person who can.

I was a Starbucks TL and regularly had to unload 2 to 3 pallets into my store room which meant re arranging a bunch of stuff up and down a ladder.

Was it absolutely necessary, yes hours are too short in that area for everyone to not have everyone doing everything.

I don't know what the severity of your condition is but retail is non stop physical activity.

Back