Is it better to get hired in as an intern or to get hired in as a team lead?

Is there resentment towards ETLs hired out of college? I do have some retail experience and have worked in other industries.

If you are good at your job, no.

I think that ETLs hired straight in are more respected than interns. Soooo many interns haven't really even had a job before, so in addition to learning Target, they are flat out learning how to have a job. We had one who got his offer, then told them he needed to ask his parents about it. How the heck is that someone I can respect as a leader?

Thank you Yetive. I've worked entry level jobs and I know the struggle of dealing with karens. I just need a job after I graduate and hope I won't step on too many toes.
Asking your mommy about a job offer is crazy. Does that guy have no social awareness?

Is there resentment towards ETLs hired out of college? I do have some retail experience and have worked in other industries.

Absolutely!

For the majority of them it's their first post college job/career. Most of the store's TLs will know more and have more work and life experience than a brand new ETL. Quite possible the TLs will have to show the ETL how to do their job as well. And yet the ETL will be earning $20,000+ more.

So yeah, there's going to be resentment.

Absolutely!

For the majority of them it's their first post college job/career. Most of the store's TLs will know more and have more work and life experience than a brand new ETL. Quite possible the TLs will have to show the ETL how to do their job as well. And yet the ETL will be earning $20,000+ more.

So yeah, there's going to be resentment.
^This, 100%. TMs resent them, too, especially if the new ETL comes in on a power trip or is a know-it-all who knows nothing or has a superior attitude or treats the team badly (not that you would, just saying). Respect has to be earned, and a new ETL who treats people well and looks out for the TL/TMs welfare will have an easier time of it than the ETL Who Must Be Obeyed and ETL Bow Down I am the Prince/Princess types. I won’t say that the team can make or break a new ETL, but a helping hand to a TM who needs it or bringing a treat for their team can make the team’s life a bit more pleasant, or at least tolerable, which will pay off in high morale and good will for the ETL. On the other hand, if a new ETL throws a TL/TM under the bus, have no doubt that that bit of news with run through the store’s grapevine with breakneck speed (again, not that you would, just saying) and trust for that ETL will be a rare commodity. Basically, golden rule and you should be fine. It just takes a little while for the team to size you up and accept you. Good luck!

Back