Archived Is it Normal

Status
Not open for further replies.

LazerKitty

Former Beauty Queen
Is it normal (lol) to not be able to talk to your ETL-HR without someone else being in the offfice? I had this happen and find it super unnerving to have the store gossip in the office with me while I'm trying to talk to HR ABOUT SOMETHING!!!!!

Just say, "I'd like to speak to you in private please."
Then wait.
They have to take you at your word and if they don't you have every right to document it.
If after a period of time, with them refusing to see you in private than you can complain.

If there has been past conversations between you and management, then this is very normal. I would always have another salaried manager with me when I was coaching a TM. I would also have another manager in the room if a "problem" TM wanted to talk/open door about an issue. I did this to protect myself, that way TMs can't ever come back saying certain things were said in the conversation.

To be honest, it's standard best practice for managers to do this. This also protects TMs as well - having another manager in the room to document the conversation.

If there has been past conversations between you and management, then this is very normal. I would always have another salaried manager with me when I was coaching a TM. I would also have another manager in the room if a "problem" TM wanted to talk/open door about an issue. I did this to protect myself, that way TMs can't ever come back saying certain things were said in the conversation.

To be honest, it's standard best practice for managers to do this. This also protects TMs as well - having another manager in the room to document the conversation.
Really? I've talked to management numerous times, at both their and my request and there has NEVER been another manager present. I've also seen TMs go into offices for coachings and there has never been 2 people present. If a TM comes to you to talk about an issue under the "open door policy," you should NEVER assume it's okay to have another person present. What if the person you choose is the person they want to speak to you about? Kind of defeats the purpose of the "open door" policy, doesn't it? You should ALWAYS ask if it's okay to have someone else present.

Really? I've talked to management numerous times, at both their and my request and there has NEVER been another manager present. I've also seen TMs go into offices for coachings and there has never been 2 people present. If a TM comes to you to talk about an issue under the "open door policy," you should NEVER assume it's okay to have another person present. What if the person you choose is the person they want to speak to you about? Kind of defeats the purpose of the "open door" policy, doesn't it? You should ALWAYS ask if it's okay to have someone else present.

Depends on the situation. If the ETL in question has had complaints before about things being said, the STL might have implemented an action plan that includes having all "closed door" conversations in the presence of another ETL so that there is an unbiased observer.

Likewise, if the TM in question has been known to make outlandish claims or there is some kind of doubt about how honest the TM will be after the fact, another ETL can be brought in. But you'd have to have a looooooottttttt of documentation to support that, along with your HR-BP, as you are basically saying the TM isn't trustworthy.

Had a moment like this before. I was talking to HR in their office and the other ETLs were just outside the door talking pretty loudly. Kinda wanted to close the door to the office, but I would've felt kinda weird doing that. I personally like being able to see all exits from rooms at all times.

I come from Wally World as a manager, and this was our culture. So TMs don't have a choice if another manager is in there or not.

I come from Wally World as a manager, and this was our culture. So TMs don't have a choice if another manager is in there or not.

Thus why Wally World is considered to worker unfriendly.
To not have the option of a private conversation with HR is unacceptable.
I would understand if the it's a disciplinary action, having two people is SOP but if the person needs to have a FTF concerning an issue of importance having another person in the room (who might even be the one causing the problem) is problematic at least and harassment at worst.

Thus why Wally World is considered to worker unfriendly.
To not have the option of a private conversation with HR is unacceptable.
I would understand if the it's a disciplinary action, having two people is SOP but if the person needs to have a FTF concerning an issue of importance having another person in the room (who might even be the one causing the problem) is problematic at least and harassment at worst.
My point exactly. having multiple managers present during disciplinary action is understandable, and definitely when terminating someone. I can even understand it when someone has a history of being "less than truthful," but one of Target's core "beliefs" is respecting the privacy of their employees. Not allowing an employee to speak to management in private violates that in so many ways...

I wouldn't try to wait around to have a private conversation. I would probably walk by their office and peek my head in- if someone else is in there I'd say "oh, sorry- I didn't realize someone was in here. Hey, when you have a minute could I speak with you in private?" At that point the other person would either get the hint and leave if they're not having an important conversation, or your HR person should say "yea, let me wrap this up and we can chat" or you might offer "I can come by at the end of my shift?" or something.

I would never ever ever feel awkward if I was talking to anyone in leadership and a TM came by while I was talking and asked the other person to talk in private. I would feel a little weird if that TM just hovered, essentially trying to push me out of the room so they can have their private conversation. First come, first serve, imo. If I'm already engaged in a conversation, don't try to edge me out!

If you're not worried about starting the conversation, but more worried about people dropping in while you're having the conversation, just ask your HR person if it's cool if you shut the door- that you don't really want the whole store knowing something. They'll absolutely understand- it's basically in the job description that HR will be dealing with sensitive/personal issues of the employees, so if anyone in the store will understand the importance of a closed door conversation, it'll be HR (assuming you have a remotely competent HR person, of course!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back