Archived Is it time to move on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve been working at Target for two years now doing overnight stock and have enjoyed my time there and made a few good friends, but I’m thinking it may be time to go.

First off, since the first schedule in January came out I have been given 1 day a week. MAYBE two if I’m lucky. One of my checks from spot this year was $51.00. The ONLY time I had 5 days in a week this year was the week of July 4th. I have gone to management asking for days, they say they cannot give me any. Once in a blue moon a particular manager will, in his words, ‘sneak me on the schedule.’ Now I have another job so I’ve been okay financially but I still could use more hours at Target. Problem is, our STL is insisting that our nights be done with 10 people on or less INCLUDING the TL and ETL or two TL’s on any given night. That is impossible. We are a high volume store and our trucks are always at least anywhere from 1600-2300 pieces and there’s no way the store gets stocked how they expect it to with only that many people on. Yet when we don’t finish...we’re talked down on. As it goes, not praised when a job gets done or finished early but scolded when a mistake is made.

Add this in with the unwarranted crappy review I got this past year, I think I’ve had about enough. Funny thing is I WANT to stay, if only for my co-workers and convenience as the store is only 5 minutes away. But we have had so much turnover because many are fed up just like me.

So i come to you guys for advice...should i join my fed up co workers and get out? Should I talk to someone else even though it always seems to fall on dead ears? Stick it out? I’m at a crossroads... I figured by now my hours would pick up because we’re in the fourth quarter, but the second October schedule is out and still only one day a week.

I don't have any specific advice but I wanted to point out that Target's Q4 doesn't start until November week 1. And the start of Q4 doesn't magically mean more hours unless there is more sales and freight to go with it. Personally I'd stick around at this point and reconsider things in January.

How's your availability?? Is it open or do you have restrictions for days.. (that's normally why some people have only a day) Also how are you as a worker?? Do you do "just enough" not to get yelled at? Or as soon as you're done with your task, your willing to do something else or help another workcenter.. just some food for thought.. good luck

I think if you tried everything you possibly could and management still isn’t satisified than it would be best to move on. You can’t judge a place by the friends you have. If they are real good friends, you will always carry that connection.

I don't have any specific advice but I wanted to point out that Target's Q4 doesn't start until November week 1. And the start of Q4 doesn't magically mean more hours unless there is more sales and freight to go with it. Personally I'd stick around at this point and reconsider things in January.

I just meant as far as preparation for Q4 with a lot of the shipments we get in being Holiday and seasonal stuff coming off the truck, and from my two years experience there, Q4 brings a lot of extra freight.

How's your availability?? Is it open or do you have restrictions for days.. (that's normally why some people have only a day) Also how are you as a worker?? Do you do "just enough" not to get yelled at? Or as soon as you're done with your task, your willing to do something else or help another workcenter.. just some food for thought.. good luck

Thank you. My availability is that I am available every day except Sunday and Wednesdays because that’s when i work my other job. I like to consider myself a good worker...when I finish what I’m supposed to do i see where I am needed next. If I do not finish by the time I’m scheduled to go home I will stay late to finish. A few times I’ve stayed over two hours late. For instance I do signing on saturday nights into Sunday and was always told I could leave if I finish early, but when i finish early I go and help with stock where I may be needed. i may not be the fastest worker but I don’t slouch or drag my feet.

Two years and you're not getting any hours?
Vamoose!

Hours were good from Sept 2015 to Dec of 2016, I was getting a consistent 4 days at least. All of a sudden January hits and it’s 1 day a week, which I wasn’t surprised at then, because I know retail slows down at the beginning of the year, but once May/June hit, I was expecting more.

Thank you. My availability is that I am available every day except Sunday and Wednesdays because that’s when i work my other job. I like to consider myself a good worker...when I finish what I’m supposed to do i see where I am needed next. If I do not finish by the time I’m scheduled to go home I will stay late to finish. A few times I’ve stayed over two hours late. For instance I do signing on saturday nights into Sunday and was always told I could leave if I finish early, but when i finish early I go and help with stock where I may be needed.

If you are a Monday Wednesday Friday and weekend truck store like mine you wouldn't get many hours here either.

I would LOVE working at Spot 1 day a week. Company discount and only have to put out 1 day a week!
That happened to me when I had a full time job that was overnight Monday thru Friday. It was nice!

I was actually considering leaving before the holidays (even in the middle of summer), but I didn’t want to leave until I had a new job set in stone. I’ve been looking for a new job since May, but still nothing. Not even interviews. The industry I am interested in is very cutthroat, too. So there’s a chance I’m staying through the holidays. But if a new offer did come up, when would be the best time to leave? Or at this point just wait until the end of the holidays? I am a good TM and am well respected by my fellow coworkers and leads. I just don’t want to look bad in front of spot. Thanks!

Best time to leave for the store is January/February when hours get thin but you should feel free to leave whenever as long as you give 2 wks

Last edited:
I was actually considering leaving before the holidays (even in the middle of summer), but I didn’t want to leave until I had a new job set in stone. I’ve been looking for a new job since May, but still nothing. Not even interviews. The industry I am interested in is very cutthroat, too. So there’s a chance I’m staying through the holidays. But if a new offer did come up, when would be the best time to leave? Or at this point just wait until the end of the holidays? I am a good TM and am well respected by my fellow coworkers and leads. I just don’t want to look bad in front of spot. Thanks!

Leave whenever you have a job locked up in your chosen career. Don't worry about Spot, he won't worry about you! With that said, do the right thing by giving a 2 week notice and working the full 2 weeks. It can make a difference if you ever want/need to come back. The 1st time I worked and then quit, I was called in to work the day after I was officially done. I didn't have any plans for a few hours so 20 minutes after the call I was at my 'former' store in my red & khaki ready to check out guests.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back