is it worth it?

Why do you think you will be able to manage a team of people if you cannot manage yourself? It’s an honest question and deserves some serious thought, in my opinion. If you don’t think you can do it right now but have the desire, then you’ve got a lot of work to put in on yourself. Your mental wellbeing always comes first! If you really believe you can do it right now and your emotions won’t be a factor in your potential downfall, then go for it

I'm the main closing captain for fulfillment and my TL always tells me he relies and trusts me the most out of all the other captains. I run sfs well but something about the authority of TL scares me. being asked repeatedly means they must see something in me, no?
Why do you think you will be able to manage a team of people if you cannot manage yourself? It’s an honest question and deserves some serious thought, in my opinion. If you don’t think you can do it right now but have the desire, then you’ve got a lot of work to put in on yourself. Your mental wellbeing always comes first! If you really believe you can do it right now and your emotions won’t be a factor in your potential downfall, then go for it

It’s not worth it at the best of times, and with a questionable leadership team, doubly so. ASANTS, but accepting a TL position at Spot can be like volunteering to go to Hell. Not very lucrative, or pleasant, and the boss will drop you in a hot mess and provide you with plenty of heat. Every. Day. Just saying.

So let's assume you tell Target you want to be a TL.

Then they should give you:

1) WRITTEN job offer detailing your new positions, pay, benefits, etc.

2) FIRM start date

3) WHERE you will be working.

Spot is good about putting a potential TL "on the bench" to evaluate them further.

You could never hire an external TL without doing those things so an internal TL shouldn't be any different.

Good luck.

It definitely soumds more like an on the bench "promotion". I would look at more on the bench threads. You will be given more responsibilities without more pay. This can last for quite a long time, i would only consider it if you are looking to move up to in target.

In a situation like this, no.

They have no real intention to promote you, they just want to meet some imaginary quota of "on-the-bench" or "being-developed" people.

At best it's a well intentioned attempt to develop people that will likely never pan out.

At worst it's an avenue to just giver you extra responsibility with no extra pay.

Also generally speaking, dollar for dollar team leaders and ETLs do not make near enough money for it to be worth the stress and responsibility.

No my team leader had high blood pressure from the stress. It sounds more like they are using as a on bench type of thing and they could possibly throw you anywhere without a second thought. Best if you avoid like the plague. They want yes people who drink the koolaid and kiss ass.

Even if their intentions is to promote you , with as much self doubt that you have you wouldn’t be able to lead your team or be a good leader. Sorry to say it however not everyone who gets promoted are actually good leaders . Back in the day you got promoted by taking all the initiatives to get things done that no one expected to be done . All I gather from your post is that you are insecure to have a position in leadership due to fear of all the responsibilities that comes with it, and then their the emotional part which has no business at work.
So for someone in your position I would say it is not worth it .

I agree with allnew that you being skeptical is already a bad start. There is no garauntee and tbh its probably not likely theyd promote you anytime soon. If you want to more up at target an existing tm its what you got to do. If you think you can learn to manage your emotions and have the capability of handling the stress, because there is a lot then go for it. You never know if you dont try, but for it to work you have to want it. As a person that went through it and got promoted i humbly admit it would be beneficial to try elsewhere.

emotions can't play into why you want to or not! Even if you moved into interviews it's all about business and in your Q&A's to the Lead interviewing you, that it's clear you separate your emotions in the work place. I myself was never really taken under anyone's wing, so to speak. I don't like confrontation, so I know my own faults, I know this is something I need to get past and work on and through the past year or so, especially in my last review I made it a point to vocalize it. Honest integrity in leadership is important, own your faults but know how you learned from them and talk about how you changed for the better. You sound like someone a team lead really leans on to accomplish goals at hand, but how are you going to say you made a difference and developed someone or multiple team members to be where you are? A good lead develops not just points the finger, I good lead has clear communication and expectations, etc... and yes they do want a "YES MAN" but they also want business need results, don't confront or go against a plan unless you have an alternate plan, even if they don't go with your plan, at least you had one. And you'll usually get a reason to why it can't go that way, and not get brushed off like you don't know anything. Don't take it personal, the fact a lead informs you why is a good thing, they want you to learn and develop why the plan is going in the direction it is. Think about where you want to go in the company and where they want you... then go from there

an update of sorts i guess.
I gave a definite no. at the time of writing this post I was just anxiety filled and had other things going on that made it worse than usual. I knew a good handful of tms who have now left the company and were "on the bench" for years. they hated working there the longer it went on. I compared my work ethic to the team leads that I know. many of you mentioned there needs to be a lack of emotion to consider the job or to be a team lead but a few of my current TLs seem to let their emotions sway their decisions. (my closing tl will be petty af just bc you said something she didn't agree with or if you made her look bad even if you were just following the rules/what you were told to do.) that's probably why I thought I might be able to do it. I don't particularly love or hate my job/position now but I don't think I want to stay with target for the long run. right now it's just a job that pays all the bills with a little left over in the middle of a pandemic. thank you guys for your input anyway.

Back