Archived Is my ETL serious?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure if it's Target wide or just in my state but we are required to take a 30 minute break before our sixth hour. My new to me etl (he's been at my store forever) told us he doesn't care how long our shift is we have to take a 30. Doesn't matter if it's a two hour shift, we are required.

What's the point? Anyone else experience this? Seems like such a waste of time.

That's just dumb. Sounds like your store is trying to save payroll or is just god awful with meal compliance.

Two hour shift...I believe you have to be scheduled a minimum of 3hours.

Double check with your ETL-HR. They are the ones that have to monitor compliance issues.

Typical break/lunch periods follow: If you work more than 3 hours, you are to have a 1 15 minute paid break. 6hrs (in most states) an unpaid lunch. Over 7 hours, 1 additional paid 15min break.

Target sets a compliance period where TMs must take their lunch by. If you don't follow compliance policies, you can be written up and be put on corrective action.

By Target policy and depending on your state, if you work more than 6 hours, you are required to take a 30 minute unpaid lunch. Mostly Target requires you to take it by your 5th hour, in other states by your 4th hour.

I'm pretty clear on my breaks and lunch. What pisses me off is sometimes my TL doesn't want us to take the second 15 minute break.

It has gotten to the point where I'm going to call him out on it, or complain to the higher ups.

And at that point he will probably get fired. But I don't want that to happen.

I'm pretty clear on my breaks and lunch. What pisses me off is sometimes my TL doesn't want us to take the second 15 minute break.

It has gotten to the point where I'm going to call him out on it, or complain to the higher ups.

And at that point he will probably get fired. But I don't want that to happen.

That kind of crap could get Spot dragged into court (which makes them very cranky) so your TL better watch his ass.

I'm not sure if it's Target wide or just in my state but we are required to take a 30 minute break before our sixth hour. My new to me etl (he's been at my store forever) told us he doesn't care how long our shift is we have to take a 30. Doesn't matter if it's a two hour shift, we are required.

What's the point? Anyone else experience this? Seems like such a waste of time.

Sounds like he is talking out his behind. Read what your states rules are and they have to be posted in the TMSC and follow them. Cause they schedule work time and coverage for lunches, I will bet he has not thought or figured out how to cover all these extra lunches.

Not sure if this varies by state, but our minimum workday for a 15 is 4 hours. At least I assume that because the poster says 4-7 hours: one 15.

I'm sure he was exaggerating when he said two hours. It just seems like such a waste of time to go into work for few hours and take that unpaid break. I guess we'll see what happens

I'm sure he was exaggerating when he said two hours. It just seems like such a waste of time to go into work for few hours and take that unpaid break. I guess we'll see what happens

I don't know some of the newbie ETL's are pretty dumb.. I could totally see that coming out of a few that have passed through my store.

I think being required to take a lunch before 6 hours is ridiculous. They keep saying it is state law. Maybe somewhere, but NOT in our state (not for adults, anyways). If they're going to drink the kool-aid, they better stop trying to force me to join them!! Just tell me it's company policy and I'm ok, but don't feed me this BS.

I think being required to take a lunch before 6 hours is ridiculous. They keep saying it is state law. Maybe somewhere, but NOT in our state (not for adults, anyways). If they're going to drink the kool-aid, they better stop trying to force me to join them!! Just tell me it's company policy and I'm ok, but don't feed me this BS.

This. Don't tell me that the store is being fined by the state for doing something that isn't illegal. If it is, then Spot needs better lawyers.

The law in my state specifically says if you work X amount of hours, then you are required to have a half hour lunch starting no later than your Yth hour. So if Spot wants to be extra certain that no one breaks the law by having everyone take a lunch by their Yth hour, that's fine. But if we work X minus one hour, legally, they don't have to give us a lunch and cannot be fined for it if they didn't.

I believe it's required that they post your states hourly rest and meal break compliance laws where team members can clearly see it. Ours is on the same board where the schedule is posted

I believe it's required that they post your states hourly rest and meal break compliance laws where team members can clearly see it. Ours is on the same board where the schedule is posted
Spot does have "their" meal & break policies posted. Then, you go look up your state labor laws on meal breaks. You will find very interesting answers, like in my state, covers mostly minors & not adults.

I think the way HQ does things is to take the most stringent labor law in whatever municipality they have a store in and exercise it across the board. Other retailers/restaurants in the city where I live do not have a 6-hour meal policy. Yet, they want you to think that it is the law.

I think the way HQ does things is to take the most stringent labor law in whatever municipality they have a store in and exercise it across the board. Other retailers/restaurants in the city where I live do not have a 6-hour meal policy. Yet, they want you to think that it is the law.

Actually I think, it's the most stringent labor law in any state they have a store.
They can safely say it is the law.
It might not be the law in your state but it's the law someplace so they are sticking to it everywhere to avoid any problems.
Kind of like all furniture meets California safety codes.

Actually I think, it's the most stringent labor law in any state they have a store.
They can safely say it is the law.
It might not be the law in your state but it's the law someplace so they are sticking to it everywhere to avoid any problems.
Kind of like all furniture meets California safety codes.
Except that the lunch rules vary depending on what state you are in. So even that doesn't work so well.

If only everyone paid OT like California....

Certain companies often have agreements with labor departments for compliance that isn't the law. In CA best buy had one for 5.5 hours. It kept us from having to pay fines. Our managers from other stores didn't grasp it at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back