Archived is target trying to get me to quit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMNDZ bruhh

Former Backroom Dayside
So these past few weeks ive been in a dilemma. Ive been given a possible opportunity to work a federal job, and ile be making big money...so i told my TL and ETL that i might possibly be leaving if i cant do both... so now, they have been giving me the cold shoulder about EVERYTHING... they left me out of a huddle and told me to just keep working, they aren't as friendly like they usually are...there attitude towards me is to the point to where i have to get mouthy with them as well, and i know that NEVER helps with anything, but im just being real with them... and i needed a day covered for me, and i got the coverage and everything but they would NOT FOR THE LIFE OF THEM CHANGE IT IN THE SYSTEM, and when i got another ETL to change it for me, they changed it BACK without telling me! so if i went through that day thinking i had the day off, i could of had a NCNS. what do you guys think? fyi, this isnt the whole store management treating me like this...this is my TL and my ETL specifically.

Here are the mistakes you made:

1. Telling them you "might" be leaving before you knew 100% for sure you had the job. To many managers, this sounds like a threat. "I might be leaving for a new job, just wanted to let you know" In other words, it is an insinuation that they are doing something wrong and you are trying to warn them about it.

2. It sounds like you are bragging. A federal job is at the top of the career ladder and retail is at the absolute bottom. It's almost like saying "Hey, I have 50 million dollars in my bank account. Just wanted to let you know" It comes across as bragging.

3. Your proposal makes no sense. It is absolutely idiotic to say "I'm going to get this great job, but hey if you work with me I'll work here too!". A fed job has great pay, great benefits, and you have a much higher status in society than working retail. *No one* with a federal job would be also working for minimum wage at Target. It's like a medical doctor getting a job at Burger King. It. Just. Does. Not. Happen. Maybe you don't realize it now, but I can guarantee you that your ETLs do. Once you get a job like that, you will ditch retail in heart beat. You may not think it now, but you will.

4. Not only is not likely, it also is not logistically possible. Fed jobs require 40+ hours a week often with mandatory overtime. You simply don't have the time for it. You are telling me that you are going to be working 8-5PM (or longer) at the FBI, IRS, other federal agency wearing a suit and tie, and then are going to rush home and be back at your store in red and khaki? So what hours are you planning on working at Target, 6pm (that is generous... probably 7PM by the time you get through traffic and travel the distance to your store) to 10PM or 7 PM to 10PM? Because those are the only hours you could possibly be working at Target.

5. Once you told them you might get a new job, you put them on notice that you are look to leave. This is not a good thing for you and your employment situation at Target.

Please tell me how silly you realize this sounds. It simply isn't logistically possible, and even if it was, you are not going to ditch your suit and tie $50,000+ a year job for your red and khaki $8/hour job for very long before you say "screw that". Yes, I know you love Target and like the people you work with. That's not going to mean a damn thing when you are working a job 20 times better.

Now I just hope that you actually get the job.... Because the moment you walked over to an ETL and said "Hey, just wanted to let you know I might be leaving for a new job" you pretty much made a career ending move.

FYI - if you don't get the fed job, start looking for jobs elsewhere ASAP. They *will* find a way to push you out the door now.

Sucks that you are in this position, but consider it a lesson learned. NEVER tell your boss are you going to quit for a new job unless you are 100% sure you have that job.

And no, if you do get the job, they are not going to "work with you". Getting a new job is considered a bad thing to most employers, not something they are going to "work with you" on. They are going to push you out the door and get someone who is 100% dedicated to them. I don't know why you would think this to begin with other than perhaps the possibility you are still very young.

In answer to your question, yes, they are trying to get you to quit because you basically told them that's what you are trying to do.

Last edited:
Here are the mistakes you made:

1. Telling them you "might" be leaving before you knew 100% for sure you had the job. To many managers, this sounds like a threat. "I might be leaving for a new job, just wanted to let you know" In other words, it is an insinuation that they are doing something wrong and you are trying to warn them about it.

2. It sounds like you are bragging. A federal job is at the top of the career ladder and retail is at the absolute bottom. It's almost like saying "Hey, I have 50 million dollars in my bank account. Just wanted to let you know" It comes across as bragging.

3. Your proposal makes no sense. It is absolutely idiotic to say "I'm going to get this great job, but hey if you work with me I'll work here too!". A fed job has great pay, great benefits, and you have a much higher status in society than working retail. *No one* with a federal job would be also working for minimum wage at Target. It's like a medical doctor getting a job at Burger King. It. Just. Does. Not. Happen. Maybe you don't realize it now, but I can guarantee you that your ETLs do. Once you get a job like that, you will ditch retail in heart beat. You may not think it now, but you will.

4. Not only is not likely, it also is not logistically possible. Fed jobs require 40+ hours a week often with mandatory overtime. You simply don't have the time for it. You are telling me that you are going to be working 8-5PM (or longer) at the FBI, IRS, other federal agency wearing a suit and tie, and then are going to rush home and be back at your store in red and khaki? So what hours are you planning on working at Target, 6pm (that is generous... probably 7PM by the time you get through traffic and travel the distance to your store) to 10PM or 7 PM to 10PM? Because those are the only hours you could possibly be working at Target.

5. Once you told them you might get a new job, you put them on notice that you are look to leave. This is not a good thing for you and your employment situation at Target.

Please tell me how silly you realize this sounds. It simply isn't logistically possible, and even if it was, you are not going to ditch your suit and tie $50,000+ a year job for your red and khaki $8/hour job for very long before you say "screw that". Yes, I know you love Target and like the people you work with. That's not going to mean a damn thing when you are working a job 20 times better.

Now I just hope that you actually get the job.... Because the moment you walked over to an ETL and said "Hey, just wanted to let you know I might be leaving for a new job" you pretty much made a career ending move.

FYI - if you don't get the fed job, start looking for jobs elsewhere ASAP. They *will* find a way to push you out the door now.

Sucks that you are in this position, but consider it a lesson learned. NEVER tell your boss are you going to quit for a new job unless you are 100% sure you have that job.

And no, if you do get the job, they are not going to "work with you". Getting a new job is considered a bad thing to most employers, not something they are going to "work with you" on. They are going to push you out the door and get someone who is 100% dedicated to them. I don't know why you would think this to begin with other than perhaps the possibility you are still very young.

In answer to your question, yes, they are trying to get you to quit because you basically told them that's what you are trying to do.

sorry if my post dosent make sense, i mix my stories around so that anyone from my store dosent realize who i am if they search through here, but from what you said, you are right, this job itself isnt actually a sit down at a desk and computer type of job, and i have an option to work both and this job would allow me to do both. i dont want to give it away here because then it would blow my cover completely, ile send you a PM SoT and tell you my full situation.

Still go for the job. It is suggested not mentioned to your bosses that you are looking for another job. It sounds like jealously to me. You found a great job lead & they didn't. Your best bet, don't let them stop you.

Never tell them if you may be finding another job. People think it is nice to give them a heads up but, all it does is backfire. My suggestion is do not bother to tell them anything. Screw them before they can screw you.

I've had positive results from threatening to quit. Of course I didn't come right out and say that, but somehow there was a rumor that I was gonna quit. My ETL and TL were freaking out, asking me what they could do so I wouldn't quit.

So these past few weeks ive been in a dilemma. Ive been given a possible opportunity to work a federal job, and ile be making big money...so i told my TL and ETL that i might possibly be leaving if i cant do both... so now, they have been giving me the cold shoulder about EVERYTHING... they left me out of a huddle and told me to just keep working, they aren't as friendly like they usually are...there attitude towards me is to the point to where i have to get mouthy with them as well, and i know that NEVER helps with anything, but im just being real with them... and i needed a day covered for me, and i got the coverage and everything but they would NOT FOR THE LIFE OF THEM CHANGE IT IN THE SYSTEM, and when i got another ETL to change it for me, they changed it BACK without telling me! so if i went through that day thinking i had the day off, i could of had a NCNS. what do you guys think? fyi, this isnt the whole store management treating me like this...this is my TL and my ETL specifically.

So you got left out of a huddle? Perhaps the workload was heavy and the hours were cut. Perhaps it was just a huddle to go over stuff you already knew or they were going to go over with you later. Big deal, it's one huddle.

You get mouthy with them and then wonder why they have an attitude?

There could be several reasons they didn't change the schedule. The reasons could range 1. the person you got to cover you might suck ass. to 2. Max could have been down to 3. it could have had ripple effects with others schedules, etc. The other ETL who changed it may not have done it correctly and it might not have saved, I've had it do that to me in the past (if I didn't scroll to the bottom and hit save).

From your attitude on the forum I am willing to bet that you are the problem and you just want to blame them.

So you got left out of a huddle? Perhaps the workload was heavy and the hours were cut. Perhaps it was just a huddle to go over stuff you already knew or they were going to go over with you later. Big deal, it's one huddle.

You get mouthy with them and then wonder why they have an attitude?

There could be several reasons they didn't change the schedule. The reasons could range 1. the person you got to cover you might suck ass. to 2. Max could have been down to 3. it could have had ripple effects with others schedules, etc. The other ETL who changed it may not have done it correctly and it might not have saved, I've had it do that to me in the past (if I didn't scroll to the bottom and hit save).

From your attitude on the forum I am willing to bet that you are the problem and you just want to blame them.

maybe you are right about all that, that has pondered my mind...BUT maybe if you READ what i had said, they have an attitude with ME, and it gets to a point where i have to defend myself...no dont assume that i talk to them like i talk on here, the point of this website is to vent, if i really talked like that to them i would be gone already. You dont

know me personally AND you dont know the actual situation, so dont give me any of that s**t.

Target is trying to get you to leave because they want their employees completely dedicated to target. You aren't, so I would expect to start getting less hours. And good luck getting any support from HR because I'm sure your ETL already let them know you're planning on leaving.

Never tell them if you may be finding another job. People think it is nice to give them a heads up but, all it does is backfire. My suggestion is do not bother to tell them anything. Screw them before they can screw you.

It all depends on your boss. Me and my ETL would prefer one of our TPS's to let us know they are looking into other employment. Gives us a chance to backfill so we aren't wasting payroll and not coming within our goal for the month. ETL's and TL's who get butthurt over a team member looking for another job need to deal with it and realize that not everyone wants to make a career out of retail and also at a company that makes it near impossible to promote without a bachelor's degree.

Back in my early Target days, I worked both Target and an internship then later a TV station job. My ETLs knew it and supported it. But when I came back to my old store (right around when Target Corp politics changed) for a more stable schedule, my ETLs knew I wasn't going to make Target my long term career and consistently held me back and gave me the cold shoulder.

Definitely don't burn your bridges. Take the new job and work both jobs if you can. But they know you are not making Target your primary job anymore, so they are going to try to make it miserable for you.

its honestly not as bad as it sounds, my ETL and TL are stressing out because are store switched to 6am, and were still kind of getting used to it, plus certain people are switching departments and all so its kinda stressful for them, which i understand. i dont give my ETL or TL any crap, i only told them because i wanted to be honest with them and let them know what i was up to, they even told me to be straight up with them, and let them know asap when something comes up. and i always put 110% into that place. Plus, me leaving is not all about the opportunity i was given, its because i have to move out of my parents house soon, due to my parents getting laid off their jobs and will no longer be able to help support me for school and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back