Is the receiving job still considered a job?

I would like to know and I know asants but our receiver is a great brown - noser who does very little get gets every weekend off ...where does this bullshit end ! I thought they eliminated the positon yet here in our store we have a great bullshitter who does not work. Why can't her hours be re-allocated to working team members? Is that job a joke or is our receiver that good at manipulation wow !!! I loved working 4 big red but now it's all bad....u think trump ...omg!

I would like to know and I know asants but our receiver is a great brown - noser who does very little get gets every weekend off ...where does this bullshit end ! I thought they eliminated the positon yet here in our store we have a great bullshitter who does not work. Why can't her hours be re-allocated to working team members? Is that job a joke or is our receiver that good at manipulation wow !!! I loved working 4 big red but now it's all bad....u think trump ...omg!

My store tried that. Couple of red ecolab visits corrected that.

Receiving shouldn’t be just standing at the door and checking in vendors as it’s soo much more. Looks like you got a lazy receiver from your view.

The salvage and CRC pallet(s) need to be reorganized so it can be shrinkwrapped or to allow more stacking of defectives on it. Check in vendors, process the any vendor credits and make sure vendors are following the rules. Processing ESIM into the correct category and bagged correctly. Organize and distribute any mail from UPS and FedEx, checking-in any merchandise if necessary. If it’s a sweep day, make sure the sweep is loaded and the pinlock is corrected. Don’t forget about assisting with unloading the truck If the sweep or empty is not complete.

This is my Store but best practice is the department is suppose to complete the batches. We pull any recall or IR batches and processing them by the “ship date.” You also deal with the random NOF items that is brought over and you have to deal with it. If there is a supply pallet, break it down and and put it in the supply section, and the other items to the respective department.

Last edited:

u think trump ...omg!

What does this have to do with anything?

Your entire post seems like a troll but if it isn't. Maybe ask to learn rev-log? When it's busy it's busy and when it's not it's not.

Unless you're standing there all day, watching them, the job is very ebb and flow.

No I'm hustling freight while the receiver is chatting up vendors, eyes wide open planoss !
If you are hustling freight, your time in the receiving area should be less than 5 minutes each time you go back for a uboat. You can't possibly know everything that your receiver is doing while you're hustling on the floor. I suggest you get over it or talk to the receiver's ETL. I'm sure they will be more than happy to evaluate the receiver's performance with you and get your input. Our receiver is our treasure and communication with vendors is an important component of the job.

Yeah receivers don’t do shit( hint the sarcasm) because I’m sure every defect esim is processed and sort by the dbo , as well all the ir and recalls , not to mention the esim log , sweep , transfers , salvage , Crc, vendors , vendor credit , cleaning receiving , throwing trash . You know the shit that everyone is not even aware of .

Most vendors don't visit on the weekends, which is why they have the weekend off. Your GSTL can receive food and dc trucks.

If you think your receiver is lazy, you've clearly never done without. Their job is very specialized and requires a lot of detail work, on top of knowing almost everything else a DBO does. If you try to do without a receiver your backroom will fill up with vendor "backstock" since most of your vendors get paid on comission.

Most vendors don't visit on the weekends, which is why they have the weekend off. Your GSTL can receive food and dc trucks.

If you think your receiver is lazy, you've clearly never done without. Their job is very specialized and requires a lot of detail work, on top of knowing almost everything else a DBO does. If you try to do without a receiver your backroom will fill up with vendor "backstock" since most of your vendors get paid on comission.
The GSTL?

Since I do receiving let me see what I did on a daily basis..

Check in vendors - looks like I shoot the shit with them, yep I do. While I am scanning everything they are bringing in so they can get paid properly. I also scan out all the destroyed stuff back out as a credit.
Palletizing the repacks, you know those repack boxes you just toss in a pile without a thought about what color is in the stack. yeah I get to sort all those out and stack each color on a pallet, wrap and load it on a truck.
Grab the cardboard bales that you only used three wires on and its sitting on half the broken pallet you dropped it on? Yeah I get to figure out how to get the crown under it and not blow it apart when I pick it up or drop it cause it is so unbalanced.
I get to do the backroom audit, you know go around find all the fuck ups from everyone who can't be bothered to actually count what they are pulling or backstocking. I get to count it all.
I get to put the locking caps on the liquor that comes in, think of restacking a pallet of cases of water. No heavy lifting there.. :rolleyes:
I get to clean up all the broken crap under the line. Today it was a case of bleach. My nose is still burning from that.
I get to push the line out of the trailer if the unload peeps are behind or forget.
I get to sort all the crap you dump as ESIM from guest services and clean up all the leaking messes left in my sort bins. Once I sort it, I get to put those bins on a pallet and put it up until the hazardous waste people come and take it.
I have to get those same pallets down when they show up to take the ESIM.
I get to unload the SFS supply pallets that come in and put them up.
I get to unload the ISM pallets that come in.
I get to figure out the salvage mess you think is a stacked pallet. That falls like a house of cards when the pallet jack kisses the pallet.
Pull the soda updates for the soda vendors so they know what to order for what pogs they have coming up.
I get to pull the recalls and figure out what to do with them. If its a hold, box them up and find a place for it. Its' not easy to find space for three pallets of hand sanitizer.
Get the MIR's, Which are batches of stuff that is either recall or returns via CRC, usually movies, music, books. Sometimes its weird things like kitchen towels.
Make sure that stuff that is going out as transfers gets labeled properly and gets on the sweep truck.
Make sure that anything going out via UPS, FedEx, USPS actually goes out to those vendors.
Sort all the same when they are delivering, that STS gets their stuff, Optical gets their stuff, HR and so on gets their stuff and I deliver it.
Make sure the donations go out when the food bank people show up.
I get to make sure receiving is clean, which means cleaning up all the crap that everyone dumps back there has a place.
I get to take the plastic recycle and load it on the sweep trailer and build the new box for you have a recycle box.
I get to take the hanger bins and get them on the sweep so guess what? You have new hanger bins to dump into.
Pulls invoices when vendors say they never got paid to prove we did check that product in.
Three times a week, move those cardboard bales, hanger bins, empty pallets, CRC, plastic recycle, metal recycle, and repacks, load that on the sweep trailer going back while doing everything else on this list.

But no I just stand back there and do nothing and you pissed I got weekends off? Go take several seats..

*Edit to add more stuff the receiver does.

Stack the vendor pallets aka Coke, Pepsi local liquor vendors and make sure the drivers take back the empties.

Last edited:
On top of all the stuff that receivers are officially supposed to do, we can get thrown all the other random jobs that need to be done but can't be bothered to assign to/trust anyone else to do or if other departments need extra help.

Things that I have done that are not under the umbrella of receiving.
-Break out/detrash things in repacks so they can be pushed quicker.
-Help pack SFS
-Do the backroom audit (officially this is supposed to be done by a TL from what I was told)
-Pull up the BR detail report so see who is backstocking things incorrectly so they can be talked to(before myDay f-ed this up and that report became useless)
-Reprofile/audit/rebackstock entire BR aisles to fix errors.
-Call CSC about SFS issues for Guest Services because they can't be bothered.
-Do price changes for people, even though every department is supposed to own their section. The TLs just tell them to bring it to me to deal with instead of teaching them.
-Get stuff down from the steel for TMs who refuse to learn how to use the WAV even though they always need to get stuff down.
-Get stuff down from the steel for TLs who somehow haven't learned to use the Crown after working in the store for 5+ years.

Being a receiver takes a ton of work. There can be lulls in work from time to time and there usually are slower days, but we have so many tasks that have a very specific time frame in which they need to be done. I have to deal with 30+ vendors/drivers on a weekly basis and I am their point person in the store. I am fairly lucky because most of my vendors are awesome and I don't have any issues with them. But there is always going to be an occasional problem with an idiot merch or a company trying to bring in way too much product.

I work 40 hours a week and since we aren't allowed overtime I have to get all of my stuff done in that time. We have the most amount of tasks that need to be done within a certain time frame or on a certain day so we need to plan out every day. Us getting weekends off is because Target has set official receiving hours and most vendors don't run their routes on the weekend (my store allows ADSD people to deliver Saturday if they need to). While it is great to have two days off in a row, it also sucks because on Mondays it can take me hours to get cleaned up from the weekend because no one in my store will work on the defectives/sort ESIM/or build a Salvage/CRC pallet like an intelligent person.

On top of all the stuff that receivers are officially supposed to do, we can get thrown all the other random jobs that need to be done but can't be bothered to assign to/trust anyone else to do or if other departments need extra help.

Things that I have done that are not under the umbrella of receiving.
-Break out/detrash things in repacks so they can be pushed quicker.
-Help pack SFS
-Do the backroom audit (officially this is supposed to be done by a TL from what I was told)
-Pull up the BR detail report so see who is backstocking things incorrectly so they can be talked to(before myDay f-ed this up and that report became useless)
-Reprofile/audit/rebackstock entire BR aisles to fix errors.
-Call CSC about SFS issues for Guest Services because they can't be bothered.
-Do price changes for people, even though every department is supposed to own their section. The TLs just tell them to bring it to me to deal with instead of teaching them.
-Get stuff down from the steel for TMs who refuse to learn how to use the WAV even though they always need to get stuff down.
-Get stuff down from the steel for TLs who somehow haven't learned to use the Crown after working in the store for 5+ years.

Being a receiver takes a ton of work. There can be lulls in work from time to time and there usually are slower days, but we have so many tasks that have a very specific time frame in which they need to be done. I have to deal with 30+ vendors/drivers on a weekly basis and I am their point person in the store. I am fairly lucky because most of my vendors are awesome and I don't have any issues with them. But there is always going to be an occasional problem with an idiot merch or a company trying to bring in way too much product.

I work 40 hours a week and since we aren't allowed overtime I have to get all of my stuff done in that time. We have the most amount of tasks that need to be done within a certain time frame or on a certain day so we need to plan out every day. Us getting weekends off is because Target has set official receiving hours and most vendors don't run their routes on the weekend (my store allows ADSD people to deliver Saturday if they need to). While it is great to have two days off in a row, it also sucks because on Mondays it can take me hours to get cleaned up from the weekend because no one in my store will work on the defectives/sort ESIM/or build a Salvage/CRC pallet like an intelligent person.

All of this!!!!!
And the OP thinks all this goes down at 40 hours a week, nope.. Our lovey leadership thinks you can pull all this off at 30 hours a week right now since corporate has decided that we don't need hours with a pandemic going on. I am the back up receiver as SFS who does the bulk of the prep/pack work now. I am next to the desk so those ADSD vendors aka Coke I at least keep the desk clean for Saturday. Sunday I am off so lord help her Monday morning.. I have busted so many idiots from guest service that try and just dump full carts of crap back there, you would think after the second or third time they would just actually do their job. But no the very next weekend the same cart attendant tries to dump anoher cart of crap back there.. And they get busted again..

Back