Archived Is this for real???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all. Lurked for a while, but something came up that I wanted your trusted advice on.

So without exposing too much about me I've been in retail management before Target, and am currently a GSA in a medium-high COL area (less than LA, more than Charlotte). I'm relocating to a lower COL area and I've had a store tell me I could transfer, but here's the thing.

I talked to an HR TM who said I couldn't take a GSA position, but I could do maybe a regular sales floor spot. This was fine with me...until we discussed pay. I was told most likely I would get brought in at 9$ O.O I'm like whatadafukusay?! So even though my position is still basically a TM job they can drop me more than 3$ in pay?! Lmao, if this is the case I'd rather quit and never come back. Thats like seriously a joke, so hopefully you guys understand my rambling.

So can anyone tell me can they really do this BS? I thought that there's only so much they can reduce your pay for going down a paygrade and that there's usually no change when you move to a lower COL area. Will they really not negotiate at all with me on wages? I'm sorry thatbIm throwing a lot out there at once, I'm just mad and at a loss. If they gonna do me like that, shot I might as well stock shelf's at Walmart for 10$ and call it a day.

Unfortunately, Sales Floor is a lower pay-grade than GSA. Also, COL may be different. Even if you do not see that it is that different, each store may have a different pay scale. I know that when I transferred stores, the GSA position at my old store got less than they do at my new store.

Unfortunately, Sales Floor is a lower pay-grade than GSA. Also, COL may be different. Even if you do not see that it is that different, each store may have a different pay scale. I know that when I transferred stores, the GSA position at my old store got less than they do at my new store.

I get that GSA is higher, but its only .50 I would be willing to lose that to work SF. That effectively would put me at 11.75. What I'm not okay with is a further 2.75 reduction. I mean seriously ain't no COL change that extreme unless you're going from NYC to Liberty, SC

Well part of the reason why you have a higher pay because of your previous retail management experience, which doesn't extend to the sales floor. Therefore, you'd likely be moving down to the base paygrade for Sales Floor TM's, which is N03 and $9.00/hr.

Well part of the reason why you have a higher pay because of your previous retail management experience, which doesn't extend to the sales floor. Therefore, you'd likely be moving down to the base paygrade for Sales Floor TM's, which is N03 and $9.00/hr.

Ah. Yeah they can sit on that. 12+ is still barely worth Targets bs. I ain't doing it for less than 11. Thanks you guys I guess I know I won't be doing that interview this week.

I knew of a guy that moved his family about 3 hours to another store with a guaranteed ETL position (he was a TL who was very good at his job) and when he moved to his new town he got the screws put to him and was put on as a regular TM. Needless to say he was livid and still works for Target even after he got screwed over.

That's devotion to a fault.

OP: Thing to remember when transferring - the store you're going to doesn't HAVE to take you. They basically hold all the cards & can decide what positions are open to you.
They also don't have to take you at a pay rate as high as they pay some of their TLs.

Last edited:
That's devotion to a fault.

OP: Thing to remember when transferring - the store you're going to doesn't HAVE to take you. They basically hold all the cards & can decide what positions are open to you.
They also don't have to take you at a pay rate as high as they pay some of their TLs.
That's true, but I'm not gonna play the cards that's against me. They can take that attitude where they think this job is Gods gift to Earth and shove it. I easily get responses from companies with better pay that want to place me somewhere where I have respect, I just liked being at Target. The fact that I don't have to stay means the cards are always in my favor because of they don't like my terms o can walk away and not bat an eye.

That's true, but I'm not gonna play the cards that's against me. They can take that attitude where they think this job is Gods gift to Earth and shove it. I easily get responses from companies with better pay that want to place me somewhere where I have respect, I just liked being at Target. The fact that I don't have to stay means the cards are always in my favor because of they don't like my terms o can walk away and not bat an eye.

In theory that's true, but the thing is that to Target you and pretty much everyone else is disposable as well. So you really don't have very much leverage, since they can usually find a replacement pretty easy/quickly.

I've transferred twice as a tm. The last, 3 years ago. It is my understanding they can only take the gsa pay away, nothing more. I was a pg 5 at my last store and moved to a really low volume store where all positions are pg 3. I didn't lose any pay.

Aren't there other positions that are the same pay grade as GSA or are they not available? Maybe the HR TM you spoke with was not the person you should talk to. Ask to talk to HR-TL or HR-ETL.
At the store I worked, one of the HR-tm's was bitter because they would never let her advance (for good reason) and she would say things to people that weren't always accurate.
If you are going to a store in another region, pay rate might be lower for new hires and she is considering you a new hire.. Dropping you down so low, doesn't seem right. I would speak to HR-ETL at your store and then at the new store.

I know if I was going to have to transfer, my HR-TM and HR-ETL would put in good words for me at the place I would be going. Do you have a good relationship with them? I know they can't pull to many strings, but a good word is always a bit helpful.

Have you looked online to see what positions are available at the store where you are going? You would have to apply for them. You would also have to have an interview before transferring for any position, wouldn't you?

GSA position at my store was 1.00 more than cashiering. (Still not enough money for the position - I don't think there is enough money in the world for that position!!!!!) And new hires are paid 9.15 because that is more then minimum rate of 9.00.

It is a good time of year to look elsewhere for a job, especially if you want to stay in retail.

See that's what I was told and thought. While going to a lower paygrade position, you would lose the differential, that would be all you would lose. So say if you're moving from LA where you're position makes 13$ to Kansas where you make 9.75$, you still keep the 13$. If you were a higher PG and moved to a lower PG (say .50 difference) then you make 12.50$ now, not 9.25$. This is of course just MY interpretation, but it's what I've been told its what I've seen happen. For example I made 12.50 meanwhile a coworker made 9.69. CLEARLY the STL or perhaps even ETLs have wiggle room as there is no way I could get brought in nearly 3$ higher than someone who's been there two years if they don't have negotiating payer. In addition, if my base pay was something that was negotiated up for, that's something that should be kept when transferring as clearly when you have people making lower like that, it didn't have to do with COL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back