Archived Is this something you've seen in stores yet? All freight on wheels?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Flex it everywhere
Under Modernization, I wonder who is going to do this. In the past, right before and after the holiday, virtually all of dayside TMs would condense and flex the pallets of holiday candy/items during or after the morning huddle. We havn't had a huddle since before Christmas, so under Modernization how is this getting done?

It’s not there yet but Brian Cornell spoke about trying to take sort out of the backroom and automating the DCs. Who knows how far away that is though

Why *are* they called flexible format btw

this got me thinking so i did some googling

"Over the years, we’ve explored many different formats that help us tailor our stores to fit their neighborhoods. ... These stores vary in size and assortment, and allow us to create a more locally-relevant experience for guests in urban areas."

theoretically these stores are much more tailored to their individual neighborhoods than chain stores are, and vary in size, making the format "flexible"

Those opti carts are awesome. They all come out of a DC in New Jersey called the “flow center”. Every Waco in the cart is sorted for a specific aisle. All the case packs we receive are sorted onto half pallets for specific custom blocks. All hanging softlines comes pre broken out and sorted on Z-racks from the DC. It’s definitely a streamlined process and makes life so much easier. These stores get two trucks everyday no matter what is in it, sometimes they’re empty in order to sweep back the opti carts. Flow center stores can sweep back Rachel’s instead of vendor cases packs allowing us to to get rid of over stock or items no longer being sold in our store (NOP but not yet disco). I’ve noticed a couple hiccups with the process and the couple big ones being
1.) SHIPPERS!!!! The flow center is trained to minimize case packs so I assume what’s happening is they are tossing all our shippers, the EC ones and the little single item shippers that hold the product to stand up on a shelf.

2.) communication.... the flow center is like fairytale land and no one there communicates with the transportation center. I’ll call for updates or cancelled trailers and they can’t tell me anything and always have to call the flow center to get an answer and they barley ever answer.

honestly love this idea but how does it work for larger items? you aren’t gonna fit a case of apple juice in those wacos (or whatever they call the ones on the carts), much less any furniture or even bigger toys...?

honestly love this idea but how does it work for larger items? you aren’t gonna fit a case of apple juice in those wacos (or whatever they call the ones on the carts), much less any furniture or even bigger toys...?
Pre sorted pallets by custom block for anything that doesn’t fit in one of the carts. All the shelves come out though all allowing the DC to customize each cart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back