Archived Is this true?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it true that target ends up with a fine to pay when you use your bank card under credit with your discount card, because I had another post asking if there is a way to use your discount card with you target credit union card I got an answer saying I could use credit and it works but my HR said target would have to pay a fine ...is this true? One of my Co-workers asked what's the difference use credit on your bank card than using the red card that's when my HR said it would fine them. To me which makes no sense I don't know do you guys think?

Is it true that target ends up with a fine to pay when you use your bank card under credit with your discount card, because I had another post asking if there is a way to use your discount card with you target credit union card I got an answer saying I could use credit and it works but my HR said target would have to pay a fine ...is this true? One of my Co-workers asked what's the difference use credit on your bank card than using the red card that's when my HR said it would fine them. To me which makes no sense I don't know do you guys think?

It's not necessarily a "fine", but any credit card usage causes the store a small fee.

Thank you but don't they get fee charges from other banks from guest?
You would be correct, we do get charged a processing fee. But in some cases, Target would be loosing money if they allowed us to use our discount and our Third party Debit cards. It drastically cuts down on the Margin of profit that the store makes. a Breif example (pack of gum costs $1.89 - 10% Discount = $1.71 - 10-15% processing fee = $1.46 , Unit Cost of product for retailer 1.40) - so now were only making respectively $.06 versus $.31.... Doesn't seem like much but multiply that by 347,000 team members.... It adds up quickly of how much money is lost. Credit card fee's are flat rates based on # of transactions in big retailers. Debit card fee's are often by transaction $$$$...
This is how it use to be, and how it was explained to me several years ago. I am sure it has changed by now.... Hope this helps.

You would be correct, we do get charged a processing fee. But in some cases, Target would be loosing money if they allowed us to use our discount and our Third party Debit cards. It drastically cuts down on the Margin of profit that the store makes. a Breif example (pack of gum costs $1.89 - 10% Discount = $1.71 - 10-15% processing fee = $1.46 , Unit Cost of product for retailer 1.40) - so now were only making respectively $.06 versus $.31.... Doesn't seem like much but multiply that by 347,000 team members.... It adds up quickly of how much money is lost. Credit card fee's are flat rates based on # of transactions in big retailers. Debit card fee's are often by transaction $$$$...
This is how it use to be, and how it was explained to me several years ago. I am sure it has changed by now.... Hope this helps.

Damn yeah I understand with the red card all you do is just put money on it right? Because I heard if you use a redcard you would get like 15 or 20% off correct me if I'm wrong I wouldn't mind having a record but I'm never to sure about them do you have one?

There are two redcards

credit
debit

credit is simple - it's a line of credit only usable at target (they don't offer visa cards anymore)
debit is even more simple. it deducts funds from your checking account when you use it.

There are two redcards

credit
debit

credit is simple - it's a line of credit only usable at target (they don't offer visa cards anymore)
debit is even more simple. it deducts funds from your checking account when you use it.

So if I got a credit redcard the money doesn't come out my checking account is that right? Sorry I just want to know a lot about the redcards all I heard was they give you a extra discount like 15 or 20% I don't know if it is 20%

So if I got a credit redcard the money doesn't come out my checking account is that right? Sorry I just want to know a lot about the redcards all I heard was they give you a extra discount like 15 or 20% I don't know if it is 20%

The redcard only gives you an extra 5%, not including your TM discount.

The redcard only gives you an extra 5%, not including your TM discount.

Alright thank you I didn't know what it want it was because people that I work with said 20% discount so I didn't know

Alright thank you I didn't know what it want it was because people that I work with said 20% discount so I didn't know

I think they're adding the number all together.. Your discount and then the red card one but it's 15 percent total if you use your tm discount and red card.

I think they're adding the number all together.. Your discount and then the red card one but it's 15 percent total if you use your tm discount and red card.

That's not a bad deal lol do you have a redcard? How does it work when you have a credit redcard like do you have to pay it later or something else?

That's not a bad deal lol do you have a redcard? How does it work when you have a credit redcard like do you have to pay it later or something else?

I don't, no. But if you get the credit card it's like any other credit card you will get a bill in the mail whenever the billing cycle ends and you pay the bill or some of the bill, whichever works for you.

I just use my tm discount and cartwheel for the most part lol I didn't want another card.

I don't, no. But if you get the credit card it's like any other credit card you will get a bill in the mail whenever the billing cycle ends and you pay the bill or some of the bill, whichever works for you.

I just use my tm discount and cartwheel for the most part lol I didn't want another card.

Yeah I didn't want the redcard but since I found out they charge when I used my discount under credit on my target credit union card. I was like oh I don't want to get any trouble for it.

Actually, it boils down to about 14.5% because it deducts the 10% TM discount first then the 5% red card discount on the remainder.
Cartwheel & coupons come off before the red card discount.
Both cards have their advantages AND disadvatages:
Pro: the debit comes right out of your acct & it's like any other debit except you can use your discount & get the 5% off.
Con: debits may take several days to clear & several may clear at once so you have to be mindful of your balance.
Pro: the credit card will bill you once/mo & can be paid at the service desk. You can also use your disc & get the 5%.
Con: if you don't pay it in full, the interest rate is pretty high.

One is a Credit Product, while one acts as direct draft from your checking account.

As Redeye mentioned, it's a store credit card which often has very high interest rates attached the account, which is why it's a good idea to pay the account in full every month if possible, or make more than the minimum payment.

Since it's a Credit Card.. you'll receive a statement in the mail, with a summary of all the purchases charged. If you default or miss a payment on the account, Target will fire you... so don't go crazy. We lost a few TM's at my store to that :(

One is a Credit Product, while one acts as direct draft from your checking account.

As Redeye mentioned, it's a store credit card which often has very high interest rates attached the account, which is why it's a good idea to pay the account in full every month if possible, or make more than the minimum payment.

Since it's a Credit Card.. you'll receive a statement in the mail, with a summary of all the purchases charged. If you default or miss a payment on the account, Target will fire you... so don't go crazy. We lost a few TM's at my store to that :(

Damn :( then I probably would get a debit one then.

I thought the system doesn't allow a non Target credit card to be used once a TM discount is applied.

If it's letting you use your credit union card and you are still getting your 10% discount, then you are probably allowed to do it.

Damn then I probably would get a debit one then.
If you can make only small (and easy to pay purchases) having a credit card, is essential to building your credit. Which is a lot harder to do these days, versus when I was starting out.. as I've been told.

Like I said, don't go crazy.. and if you do.. just try to make more than the minimum payments, and pay it off. Having Good Credit allows you to get a Cell Phone & Cable/Internet & Utilities connected without a security deposit, and allows you to get lower rates on a Home Loan or Car Purchase. It also significantly determines your Auto Insurance Rates, and if an Employer will hire you in certain circumstances. It's super, super important to build it and be careful!!! :)

I thought the system doesn't allow a non Target credit card to be used once a TM discount is applied.

If it's letting you use your credit union card and you are still getting your 10% discount, then you are probably allowed to do it.

When I first started working I got my target credit union card one of my Co-workers said I can use the discount under credit and then ever since I used it and it worked with no problem but then the HR said it would charge a fine so that's what was confusing me

If you can make only small (and easy to pay purchases) having a credit card, is essential to building your credit. Which is a lot harder to do these days, versus when I was starting out.. as I've been told.

Like I said, don't go crazy.. and if you do.. just try to make more than the minimum payments, and pay it off. Having Good Credit allows you to get a Cell Phone & Cable/Internet & Utilizes connected without a security deposit, and allows you to get lower rates on a Home Loan or Car Purchase. It also significantly determines your Auto Rates, and if a Employer will hire you in certain circumstances. It's super, super important to build it and be careful!!! :)

True true :) I don't really go over board I like to budget my money to a amount so I can have extra money for emergencies :) thank you for the advice!

Damn :( then I probably would get a debit one then.
Even if you don't pay the full balance off every month, you would be coming out ahead by paying it off over several months.
When you see that 'minimum payment', just remember that's over a period of several YEARS but if you made a $500 purchase & paid it off in 5-6 months, the service charges would be minimal & you'd be establishing a timely payment record.

When I first started working I got my target credit union card one of my Co-workers said I can use the discount under credit and then ever since I used it and it worked with no problem but then the HR said it would charge a fine so that's what was confusing me
You are correct to use your Target Credit Union Card under credit. I had been using it under debit and then a few months ago Target Credit Union or maybe it was Target sent me an email saying that in order to keep using the discount with it that I needed to run that card as credit. I'm assuming it has something to do with the be card reader.

Anyways, your HR is wrong.

You are correct to use your Target Credit Union Card under credit. I had been using it under debit and then a few months ago Target Credit Union or maybe it was Target sent me an email saying that in order to keep using the discount with it that I needed to run that card as credit. I'm assuming it has something to do with the be card reader.

Anyways, your HR is wrong.

Really! Wow well now I know some else using it that way not just me. I feel better that I won't get in trouble lol. I guess they'we trying to force me to get a redcard. Thanks for the information!

Last edited:
If you default or miss a payment on the account, Target will fire you... so don't go crazy. We lost a few TM's at my store to that :(
How would Target be alerted to a private matter between you and TD Bank (the issuer of the card) such as missing a payment?

Like I said, don't go crazy.. and if you do.. just try to make more than the minimum payments, and pay it off. Having Good Credit allows you to get a Cell Phone & Cable/Internet & Utilities connected without a security deposit, and allows you to get lower rates on a Home Loan or Car Purchase. It also significantly determines your Auto Insurance Rates, and if an Employer will hire you in certain circumstances. It's super, super important to build it and be careful!!! :)

Target does not report unless you're late. Most store cards are this way, so they serve no purpose in building credit. Best way to do this is to get a credit card from your bank, and use it to pay for gas, then pay it off each month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back