Is your store having all TL’s close the store themselves?

I think , right now, closing TL is one of the easiest position at Target.
With GM and specialty taking/doing a brunt of the duties (zone/push/backstock/plano) the closer literally comes in to just close the store.
If closer is unable to get shi* done he/she can blame it on poor performance during the day by GM and other teams.

🤣🤣🤣🤣 my closing TL would blame that work centers tl on their poor plans

I think , right now, closing TL is one of the easiest position at Target.
With GM and specialty taking/doing a brunt of the duties (zone/push/backstock/plano) the closer literally comes in to just close the store.
If closer is unable to get shi* done he/she can blame it on poor performance during the day by GM and other teams.
I would agree and I think that’s why they made a closing TL position instead of having the ETLs close. If your stores following modernization and succeeding they literally just need a body with a key.

Well I make $20,000 less than the 2 former Sr. TL’s at my store and at least $25,000 less than any etl at my store so please don’t tell me we all make the same $
You’re telling me your former seniors were making 9 dollars more than you and at least 26 an hour? Horseshit unless they’ve been in role for 10-15 years. I had a Senior in role for 10 years making 24 and another in role for 2 years making 17.75. I hardly believe that. At the end of the day though it doesn’t matter what they make you all have the same job description and pay grade so if you don’t want it demote.

If you are the closing or opening lead, don't forget perimeter pay.... Not a whole lot of money but it is required. If they do not give it to you, you are "working off the clock". Opening leads drive around the building, pick up BOL, unlock the building take down the alarm before they ever punch in. Closing leads punch out then set the alarm, lock the building and secure the perimeter. Your HRs should automatically be applying this however it gets overlooked ...often.

If you are the closing or opening lead, don't forget perimeter pay.... Not a whole lot of money but it is required. If they do not give it to you, you are "working off the clock". Opening leads drive around the building, pick up BOL, unlock the building take down the alarm before they ever punch in. Closing leads punch out then set the alarm, lock the building and secure the perimeter. Your HRs should automatically be applying this however it gets overlooked ...often.
I haven’t gotten it in 10 weeks and I open everyday.... I told my HR and nothing.

🤣🤣🤣🤣 my closing TL would blame that work centers tl on their poor plans
When everything is going great, Closing TL is not hard. It’s follow up. I like the job a lot. But if you don’t get a good hand off from the dayside, something happens that throws off the entire store, or like you said plans didn’t get followed through during the day like they should have, it can be difficult. Especially if payroll is short or the other TLs aren’t on a late mid shift that day. The ease of the job is entirely dependent on how strong your peer TLs are in their roles.
I guess being LOD can look easy when you’re used to doing it 5 out of 7 days a week, but having more people key carrying and trained to close would make it less stressful to have coverage when I need a vacation.

You’re telling me your former seniors were making 9 dollars more than you and at least 26 an hour? Horseshit unless they’ve been in role for 10-15 years. I had a Senior in role for 10 years making 24 and another in role for 2 years making 17.75. I hardly believe that. At the end of the day though it doesn’t matter what they make you all have the same job description and pay grade so if you don’t want it demote.
Both over 15 years, both at $26 something. You’re right it doesn’t matter what they make, I can do it or leave, doesn’t mean I won’t be vocal about it

It applies only if you are opening or closing the building. If you are the first one there to take down alarms and unlock doors or last one to leave and arm the building and do the drive around, then you get the pay
I’m the first person in the building 5 days a week.

talk to her again. figure out how many times you have opened and tell them ( don’t ask, TELL)they owe you back pay for those dates. Put it in an email for a paper trail. sometimes ETLS get amnesia when confronted by BPs about why something was not taken care of. You are not asking for a favor, this is owed to you

Closing is easy. I do it once every other week. The store is quiet and after my ETL leaves (4 hours before closing) I’m the highest up in the store. It was terrifying at first but once you get the closing routines down it’s probably the easiest TL job. I work a lot better without my SD or ETL around.

I had to close once a week as an early morning replen sr-tl and then come back for a truck the next day. As far as I'm concerned, more closers is better.

Keys shouldn't really offer any bonus, the only additional workload you carry is....locking doors and pressing buttons on the alarm panel.

As far as pay, the pay you get is based on your value relative to the position. If you're making 20k less than someone else in the same position either they are more valuble, or you're getting hosed. Knowing what everyone makes is a great tactic to increase wages across the board because the alternative is morale loss.

Edit:. I was making 25 as a senior before moving up in paygrade and that was 6 years ago? Id be surprised if tenured seniors weren't in the 30 range by now.

.....I'm super glad I don't work in retail anymore.

Last edited:
Then do a punch correction from the time you start working, not punch in.
Asked my HR about it like a month ago and he said he’d look into it and still not fixed. All they need to do it fix my set schedule in mytime.... I know how to do it I just can’t edit my own set schedule. I’m just leaving it at this point so when he ends up doing a historical edit I’ll get like 10-15 hours of overtime on one paycheck without having to work it.

Pretty common. My store we have tl with keys but no alarm codes. I’m the only tl besides the closing tl to be on the rotation to close. Usually once in a blue moon on weekends

Back