Archived It's time to go

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I've considered leaving before and not acted on it, but at this point employment with Spot is actively wreaking havoc on my mental health. The expectations being put on my shoulders are more in line with that of what a team lead would be expected to do, and I'm only a normal team member (although I am a trainer) just because I've been with the company a few years. Every time I try to learn a new workcenter or apply for a higher position, it gets shut down by HR claiming that I'm too important to my workcenter to move elsewhere. It feels like they're putting the pressure on me of a position above my paygrade but aren't willing to let me do any of the workcenters they know I excel in just because they can't be bothered to properly staff the workcenter I'm in with people and want me to do the job of even walking new TMs through some of the computer training instead of handling that portion of training themselves. There have been times where I have literally zoned half of the store when other TMs called out, only to be nagged that I didn't get it done fast enough. And even on days when there aren't call outs, I'm regularly asked to track down TMs who are underperforming to talk to them about how that shifts an unfair amount of work onto others working with them. We don't have a HLTL on paper, but if both HR and the Salesfloor TL are having me sign off on training documents and have performance chats with TMs on top of being a trainer, it seems unfair that I'm not being allowed the opportunity to move into a position where those are actually part of the workload, instead of having it piled onto the workload of a hardlines team member. Enough is enough, I can only do so much each day.

I will probably either go to another retail chain, potentially looking at leadership positions or loss prevention, or back to childcare (which I am majoring in anyways). I've had several recent job offers from some esteemed early childhood facilities nearby who are looking for staff, and it would be more enjoyable and rewarding work for me. Regardless of the age of the person being developed, I've learned from Target that I am a good teacher/mentor figure and that type of role is rewarding to me. I like being able to see tangible results of my work. Anyhow, if anyone had suggestions for what they think someone who's experienced doing hardlines, electronics, and to some degree flow duties might pursue outside of Target, I'm all ears for suggestions as I start the job search stage. Even when I leave Target I'll still probably post and lurk on here offering what help and advice I can to current TMs.

giphy.webp

Best of luck!
For the search, I'll just say if you've been with Spot a few years, just start with "not retail." Give yourself a well-deserved break from all the shenanigans that retail brings with it. :)

Good luck in your future endeavors. As others have said, look for something in your field of study BEFORE you look for something in retail again. Leave your retail job search as a last resort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back