Archived Job abandonment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey I just got a question about job abandonment. For someone who has never had any disciplinary actions for call offs or being late (and been with the company for a few years). If you are scheduled to work Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday
So if you work Sunday and Tuesday…but then call off Wednesday and Friday
According to best practice could you be fired for calling off two days in a row?

Thanks,
Tech

Not that I can think off. If it were true and our store was on best practice 90% of my team would have to be fired....

Job abandonment means not calling off or not showing up for three scheduled days in a row. Basically, if Target doesn't hear from you on the scheduled days, then you are probably toast.

If your three scheduled days are not in a row the three days still counts against you. So, if you are scheduled Monday, Tuesday, Friday and you don't call-in or are a no show then you are a no go for work at Target anymore.

Job abandonment means not calling off or not showing up for three scheduled days in a row. Basically, if Target doesn't hear from you on the scheduled days, then you are probably toast.

If your three scheduled days are not in a row the three days still counts against you. So, if you are scheduled Monday, Tuesday, Friday and you don't call-in or are a no show then you are a no go for work at Target anymore.

Exactly..... If you also leave early without asking first you can be termed for Job Abandonment. Just happened at our store...

We had a Team Member absent for two weeks without a peep. Then he showed up and complained the time clock would not allow him to clock him. He seemed surprised when we told him he didn't work there anymore.

@ redeye: I feel for ya...I have done that type of thing many times, usually during holidays, ESPECIALLY way back in the cave-dwelling days when there was a certain ubiquitous video store chain whose name rhymed with Lackluster Video that I used to work for...

However, to those who get fretful about the job abandonment issue, it usually takes a pretty flagrant or egregious display of " I Don't Give A F(_) C !<-ism", BUT....for those who may need to know, I have been told that (ahem) ANYTHING less than calling out two hours before your scheduled shift start time can, supposedly, allegedly, if you believe what people say, be called a " no-call, no-show".

Hmph.

How this came up for me is another story for another time...but suffice it to say that I DID ask the question, OK, so say for instance I am involved in a massive, multi-car pileup ( all too likely in surrounding areas of my store ) fifty-five minutes before my shift is supposed to start. Now, I am not hurt, but it will be a very long time before i am able to be at my store, through no fault of my own, and I have notified my leadership as soon as was humanly possible. What then?

Yeah....never got an answer to that...maybe the Mayans know :)

Well, right. And if I have a 9am shift, what happens when I don't realize until I wake up at 7:30am that I have gotten sick over night? The two hour thing is great in theory, but in reality, needs some exceptions...you know...for those calling in for real reasons.

Well, right. And if I have a 9am shift, what happens when I don't realize until I wake up at 7:30am that I have gotten sick over night? The two hour thing is great in theory, but in reality, needs some exceptions...you know...for those calling in for real reasons.

There's a GSA at my store that used to insist that you should know the night before that you'll be sick the next morning. Didn't seem to realize that sometimes you can feel fine the night before and definitly not fine the next morning.

At all the stores I've been at a NCNS is only when someone hasn't called within 2 hrs after the start of their shift. Are you guys saying its done differently at your stores?

it's almost always put in as a NCNS at the end of the shift at our store....just to allow for call outs. But about a half hour after the shift starts it's unofficially known all through the store as a NCNS.

At all the stores I've been at a NCNS is only when someone hasn't called within 2 hrs after the start of their shift. Are you guys saying its done differently at your stores?

You are required to call in two hours before the start of your shift, otherwise it is supposed to be marked NCNS.

Though I had a fellow TM call tonight, trying to call to say she would be late because her daughter was being transferred by ambulance to a hospital for better care. (First she called off in time, thene she called back to say she would be late, then she called back to say she would be a bit later.). We insisted she needed to be with her daughter and we'd make it work. Now, it was less than two hours before her shift was to begin by the last official call off, so technically it's an NCNS. But that's a crappy way of treating your employees.

Last edited:
You are required to call in two hours before the start of your shift, otherwise it is supposed to be marked NCNS.

Though I had a fellow TM call tonight, trying to call to say she would be late because her daughter was being transferred by ambulance to a hospital for better care. (First she called off in time, thene she called back to say she would be late, then she called back to say she would be a bit later.). We insisted she needed to be with her daughter and we'd make it work. Now, it was less than two hours before her shift was to begin by the last official call off, so technically it's an NCNS. But that's a crappy way of treating your employees.

I find this bizarre. I get your stores wanting 2 hours notice, but if you just pay attention to the meaning of "NCNS". How can they call it that if you are in fact calling? Has anyone here ever gotten a CA for a NCNS when they did call? I feel like stores are using it as an empty threat.

I find this bizarre. I get your stores wanting 2 hours notice, but if you just pay attention to the meaning of "NCNS". How can they call it that if you are in fact calling? Has anyone here ever gotten a CA for a NCNS when they did call? I feel like stores are using it as an empty threat.

At my store in order not to be a NCNS you need to call up to 2 hours after the start of your shift and not before

This is simply wrong. If you do not show up or call within two hours you are a ncns. Stores request you call two hours ahead buy its not a requirement.

I have called out 15 minutes before the start of my shift due to a child suddenly becoming ill. We've all had those, they seem fine one minute then all of a sudden they're puking..,
I wasn't coached for it.

Job abandonment means no-call-no-show'ing 3 times in a row. It CAN be finagled in extenuating circumstances.... like if you've called out for a week and refuse to come in with a doctor's note or to discuss an LOA... weird things like that... but in most cases of job abandonment it's a cut and dry case of the team member not showing up for 3 shifts in a row and not calling to say they wouldn't be there.

This is simply wrong. If you do not show up or call within two hours you are a ncns. Stores request you call two hours ahead buy its not a requirement.

I think it depends. I got really sick one Sunday and I was supposed to close this summer. I called my STL an hour before the shift and apologized profusely, but I wasn't going to make it in. She told me to check back in a couple hours and I was like, "Um, I'm magically going to be better in two hours?" I called back and told her it wasn't happening.

Stores prefer it, and I think some ETLs will try to hold you to it, but it wasn't a requirement at our store. I think they encourage it, which makes sense so they can either try to find someone to fill the shift or can plan better...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back