Archived Job offer...

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I am a SrTL with Target now.... I've been getting the promotion runaround with Target. (Going through a TL Development Program that was supposed to end in an interview, and not getting an interview, having my application for ETL denied by my HR and not allowed to go through the process with the ETL hiring staff, and then getting a mass email being asked to refer an ETL to Target - the biggest slap in the face of all). So, I got a job offer today to be a Store Manager with a smaller company (still a nice raise) that actually promotes from within (The District manager I interviewed first with started as a cashier, and the Regional Manager started as a Store Manager). I have to say, going to a smaller company where I will definitely be earning my increased pay is a little daunting, but I really am leaning towards taking it, as an investment in my own future. I don't want to keep getting the run around with Target and never promote because I applied as hourly to begin with instead of salaried. Any pro/con thoughts from anyone?

So, I am a SrTL with Target now.... I've been getting the promotion runaround with Target. (Going through a TL Development Program that was supposed to end in an interview, and not getting an interview, having my application for ETL denied by my HR and not allowed to go through the process with the ETL hiring staff, and then getting a mass email being asked to refer an ETL to Target - the biggest slap in the face of all). So, I got a job offer today to be a Store Manager with a smaller company (still a nice raise) that actually promotes from within (The District manager I interviewed first with started as a cashier, and the Regional Manager started as a Store Manager). I have to say, going to a smaller company where I will definitely be earning my increased pay is a little daunting, but I really am leaning towards taking it, as an investment in my own future. I don't want to keep getting the run around with Target and never promote because I applied as hourly to begin with instead of salaried. Any pro/con thoughts from anyone?

Take the job. I know of one ETL in my 12 years with Target who retired from the company before they were termed (or quit under pressure). You can always come back in a few years as an STL once you have some time as a retail store manager under your belt. Very few ETLs make it long enough to be an STL.

Have you done your research about the other company?
Not just what they told you in the interview but from multiple sources?
Long term stability, corporate culture (even from the POV of former employees, attitude towards organized labor, and so on?
The more information you have, the easier it will be to decide.

Subject to positive research on your new company,I say take the offer,as a Srtl you know all the reasons,during the past week I have met two former SrTLs who have left the company lately and both are much happier and better paid.

Obvious question... but do you have a bachelors degree? I am guessing since you are a Sr TL probably not. If so, that is why they are BSing you so much and not giving you the job.

If you do have a bachelors degree..... I would take the external job, then apply for ETL as an external candidate. Over the years I have seen several people get an ETL spot by doing this. Usually they had a bachelors degree, but internal politics (spiteful ETLs that don't want to see them succeed, etc.) always stopped them. Once you leave the company, however, and apply for an ETL spot internal people at your store suddenly have zero involvement in your hiring as an ETL. It is just you and an HR person located outside your former store who needs to hire ETLs and could give a damn if you were personally "liked" at your old store. Almost always you will get in this way.

It's an established, discount company - running a higher-than-average-for-retail comp this year, probably due to being a discount company and the economy affecting a number of people. Their growth is off the charts -- 600 new stores in the next year. The fact that both the regional and district managers started off in stores makes me feel promising, as opposed to my ETL and STL who are both vastly younger than me, right out of college. I've looked up employee reviews of the job, and standard retail fare - "no payroll and low pay." People complain about working more than 40 as a store manager also though, which sort of discredits them in my mind - it seems most of these people promoted from within and didn't realize what a salaried job was - I've held salaried jobs before, though. The company's been around my area as long as I remember growing up, I imagine it will be around if it's still having such good comp rates, and managing a $2m store annually sounds much better than being responsible for TL AND LOD roles in a $35m store, especially, again, for a raise. I will definitely work out my two weeks' notice with Target, because as spikegrouchy pointed out, I could reapply as salary with Target and have a much easier time than clawing up the ladder with no avail. Thanks for the input so far!

StateofTarget, I do have my bachelors, and I'm also set to finish my Master's in the spring and my store knows this.

StateofTarget, I do have my bachelors, and I'm also set to finish my Master's in the spring and my store knows this.

I am pretty sure the problem is that your ETLs/STL are intentionally trying to shoot you down. (even if they act like they support you) Especially since they know you are getting a masters degree, which is probably more than any of them have.... so they may even feel threatened by you.

This happened to me when I was promoting to TL. Our CTL loved bossing me around as a TM and using me to help his departments. (I was a great TM, which is why I made TL) He was noticeably pissed that I was on my way to a TL promotion, but always told me to my face he supported me being a TL. I later found out from TLs and one ETL that he had been doing everything possible to shoot me down.... including outright telling ETLs every problem he could find was my fault, and he was going around telling every TL I didn't have what it took to be a TL.

Now I run circles around him and he was eventually kicked out of his department due to poor performance and now "shares" the front end food responsibilities along with our starbucks TL. (in other words, they moved him someplace where they could watch him easily and another TL could easily pick up the slack)

Done with Target, got a few days off before I start my new position. It feels good! :)

This may be happening to me at my store. I am a year away from obtaining my bachelors and even though my workcenter has improved tremendously (took over a very red dept. and now we are green) I am getting the feeling that because I am the food service TL, my work is not taken seriously. It remains to be seen how things will work out.

I'm getting my bachelor's degree soon and Target is becoming less and less of a possibility for me because the ETL position has such a high turnover rate, from what I've seen in my own store and from stories here. It's not worth it. I'd take the management job because I think the people at your store will keep dangling the ETL carrot in front of you until you just quit from frustration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back