Archived Just signed availability; need it adjusted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pelon1071

Front End Academy Trainer (Walmart)
Hello.
today I had my orientation. I signed a paper with my availability and some days I'm open until 11 PM. However, I take the bus to and from work and the last bus departs around 10:15 PM (Plus or minus 10 min depending on how fast the route is going.) So I have to change all the days to end by 9 PM just to be safe. How should I let HR know about this? Should I ask if I can still change my availability, or should I ask to put me in the mornings so I know for sure I can get home?
Any idea is welcome.
Thanks!

Edit: For those who want to know why I put that in the first place, I did it because my first choice store was close to my house, so a ride from my parent was possible. However, this location that I work at is way further away, and a ride is not possible.

Talk to HR.

But a word of warning...new hires asking to change their availability right away is a huge red flag, and they may rescind the job offer if they were really counting on you being able to work closing shifts.
This. Though if it must be changed, just make sure you talk to them ASAP

Yes you can always ask HR but just warning you some stores have a policy that you cant change availability your first 90 days.

Target has you sign a confirmation of your availability when you are hired. This gives us the right to terminate people who try to change their availability once hired.

You have to remember your availability is one of the top 2 or 3 things considered when you were hired. If you had put 9 initially they might have chosen someone else. There is a HL TM on TBR who applied for a job and was turned down immediately with no interview, I told him to call the store and update his availability and he was hired pretty quickly.

You can always ask but be prepared if you refuse to close you could lose your job. At my store when you work electronics you are either an opener or a closer, we rarely use mids. If you left at 9 everyday there is no one from 9 to 11 pm in electronics.

Just a warning, good luck.

Thank you everyone for the ideas. I talked to the ETLHR and she was vary understanding. I didn't change my availability but she noted that I have a strong presence to leave at 9. When I was hired, they also hired 3 more cashiers. So they might shuffle me with them. I will use my money to buy a car.

Thank you for the concerns.

Thank you everyone for the ideas. I talked to the ETLHR and she was vary understanding. I didn't change my availability but she noted that I have a strong presence to leave at 9. When I was hired, they also hired 3 more cashiers. So they might shuffle me with them. I will use my money to buy a car.

Thank you for the concerns.

Word of advice- continue to work the shifts your scheduled even if its after 9 pm. Try to get ride or arrange something in advance. If you start to make it a problem they might give you less hours or let you go. I had a similar problem in my 90 days eventually I got it changed and had no problems since then.

Word of advice- continue to work the shifts your scheduled even if its after 9 pm. Try to get ride or arrange something in advance. If you start to make it a problem they might give you less hours or let you go. I had a similar problem in my 90 days eventually I got it changed and had no problems since then.

Yea. My first schedule that I got, I didn't touch. I left it as is. My contingency was for the future schedules. I have rides lined out for those days, so I'm good. Also, I might ask to start carpooling

Glad it worked out for you. I had a similar issue when I first started. The key is to let your ETLs know as soon as something comes up and not wait until the last second.

Always mention in the interview about your availability concerns. Waiting till after you are hired, is a not good thing. Spot had plans for you, based on your availability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back