Archived Just started flow team training. Do I just show up for truck tomorrow or...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tuesday was supposed to be day one of training. I was supposed to do my computer stuff. But the chick in charge had no clue what all I was even supposed to do so three guys from flow hung out with me and helped me bullshit the random quizzes I was being made to do (that weren't even relevant to flow). They said they never took any of these and after about an hour of that nonsense they brought me out on the floor to help put out what was left of truck.
Wednesday, I came in at 6 to learn how to unload and all that good stuff. They were all pretty vague and I just kinda went along and did fairly decent. I guess it helped that half the guys there were flirting it up and doing half my work for me. I mean if that's what they wanna do, go for it. According to my LOD, we have truck Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, with occasional extras that we pick up.

Now all the new people (there's five of us) aren't on the schedule yet. We can't even clock in without it being approved by someone higher up so I don't even know if we're in the system. We haven't even done our tax forms. I mean I've always heard about their not so stellar training, but Uh. Help. Do I just show up at 6 again tomorrow? Even though we weren't told to be there or to not be there? I tried to get in touch with someone to figure out the schedule but they didn't have a clue either. I really don't want to get up at 4:45, then get there, just for them to send me back home. But I also don't want to not get up at 4:45, and not get there, and not have a job.

If your training schedule says to come in, then come in. It takes a little time to be put in the system (Took me about a week and a half). If your LOD didn't know, they may not have a updated training schedule. It wont hurt to go ahead and come in, a NCNS (Or even a call in for that matter) in your first week wont look too stellar.

As far as the tax forms, typically they'll pull you aside, or you can talk to your HR about getting those forms done. Occasionally, you just gotta prod your leadership.

Welcome to the team, and welcome to flow! (The best of the best ;) ) And welcome to The Breakroom!

Last edited:
I'm still figuring out how to work this website, so forgive my noobery. But yeah, we weren't given a training schedule. Or anything like that actually. All we were told is that our LOD (if that's even the right acronym) might want us in on Friday. But I was told that on Tuesday before I left. She said that he'd probably tell us if he wanted us there. I called up earlier to see if I could figure it out but the chick that I ended up talking to said they had no way of figuring out, as he wasn't there that day. This whole thing is just a cluster fudge.

I started on flow and nobody mentioned anything about tax forms after orientation. I ended up doing them on the computer in the breakroom like a month after I started.

Did you not go to orientation? They are supposed to explain tons of this stuff and give you a paper training schedule with 2-3 weeks of shifts on it. I don't know how they expect new TMs to show up if they just verbally mention what days and times the unload is. Not to mention that trucks get cancelled and added all the time.

Your best bet is to get up like you are going in to work and just call before you leave to double-check. A TL should be there sometime after 5:30.

Also, find someone helpful in charge and let them know how confusing it is to not have a schedule and nobody seems to know what you need to be doing. Your ETL-HR would be ideal, but anyone who has been introduced to you as an ETL or the STL should be able to help.

Check the wiki for definitions to all the acronyms.

Our orientation was about an hour and a half that consisted of the cheesy video, reading through the handbook, and then being sent on our way with a couple pamphlets about the pay benefits and whatnot. We had to wait until we got a phone call to tell us when to come in for training. And I was only told those two days. Other than that, no one has been introduced other than the guy in charge of flow and the chick that did our interviews and tried to figure out what we were supposed to be doing for training on the computer. Other than that, it's just been "okay go over there with that person and do what they're doing" and that's pretty much it. I'll probably just go in tomorrow and if they tell me to leave, I guess that's that. Last I checked, though, there wasn't a schedule made out for our training and they're all just winging it as of now.

As an HR who prides himself on orientations and making sure new team members feel like part of the team from day one, this thread kills me.
If you weren't given a training schedule and you weren't verbally told to come in, then don't. Call the store early tomorrow and ask for your schedule.

Ask for the "My Orientation Checklist" form from HR if they haven't given it to you yet. It will explain how to log in to eHR and submit your W-4 form, update emergency contacts, and sign up for direct deposit.

I just followed my training schedule when I got it and they called me in pretty much everyday I wasn't scheduled on it. I just talked to HR or my TL before I left everyday. My HR person actually had a scheduled day she stole us from our teams and had us do all the computer stuff and walked us through it pretty much. And welcome to the team from a fellow Flow TM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back