Archived K2 Guest Challenge info and other Cashiering tips requested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so I don't have a ton of cashier experience yet, maybe a total of 20-30 hours tops. Most of my time has been on carts.

I wanted to know Target's main policy on using the guest challenge. I still don't know all of the prices, but when it is busy it seems impossible to call a GSTL/ETL in the area over to check if a price is right in a certain area. I think for low dollar amounts it is ok to change the price if it sounds reasonable? Like if a guest says it is 2.89$ and it is ringing up 2.99$?

If it seems unreasonable, I call my GSTL right away. I just want to try and find a good balance between speed and accuracy. I haven't been coached about anything yet, but I am trying to avoid that happening too. Probably the biggest price I changed w/ K2 was something that was 17.99 to 12.99 because it looked similar to other items the guest had just a different color (clothing) and it was a huge rush with no GSTL in sight.

Anyone have suggested Red Card pitches for me to try this week? I haven't had luck this week, don't want to call it a slump yet, but it is starting to feel like one. My go to is "Do you have a Target redcard?" and they say no and I say "You can sign up and save 5%". Today I tried tacking on the end of some of the other perks like more coupons, longer return policy, free shipping at Target.com etc. to no effect. I want to say 90% of my guests have red cards or are purposely ignoring me (cell phone calls/feigning lack of knowledge of the English language etc)

Lastly, any advanced tips/tricks for the registers? I learned how to add change to the register today, how to ask a GSTL for a duplicate receipt, I know how to do checks, rebate checks, EBT/SNAP, bagging different items together like clothes, meat, fruit etc.

It varies store to store, but the norm is what you mentioned. If it sounds reasonable. Usually no more than a few dollars. Everything else you should check on. Idk how things are in your store, but in mine anyone with a walkie can radio for a price check. (I say this because you're a Ca, you have a walkie. If you are doing back up cashiering, and it's acceptable at your store, you can radio for the price check) So, your $5 change was probably okay. Also remember, if a guest complains about an item being damaged we can take 10% off via K2. I've heard we can do 20, but only with manager approval.

You get a lot of guests who write checks? They're easy targets for the debit card. Also, try to sell the debit card more. No credit check, same benefits.

My best tip: accuracy over speed. It's better to be a little slower on the register, but have a high accuracy rate. You will pick up little tips and things as you go.

Last edited:
As Globalj said it varies by store. You just need to use your best judgement on the situation on whether or not to change the price. If im ever on register or i'm just passing the lanes and i stop to help a cashier who's light is flashing usually i will just say go ahead and change the price even if it seems a little unreasonable. Ill usually change it anyway if it is unreasonable if the store is really busy at times and we have sales floor team members on register as back-up. But if its so unreasonable i'll then call back for a price check. so far no ones ever said anything to me about changing the prices on any item.

If its still the practice, if an item is under $20 and the guest price is reasonable, then you can adjust the price.

Best thing to do is try to communicate to the salesfloor for a price check. Call the operator or walkie over.

Just mention the 5% discount and pharmacy rewards. Target will match 1% to donate to schools.

When I shop at stores, I have heard cashiers ask if the guest will be using the Red Card today. If they say no, they go into all the perks, and how easy it is to sign up.

As long as you can justify your changes as a reasonable change you can do it.

Also check price inquiry, if they say it is $2.00 and return price without receipt (always lowest recent sale price) also says $2.00, it usually means a sign was left up so you have a probable cause.

Also it gives you an idea of what a reasonable sale price is for the item.

If it's $5 and they say its $3 that's reasonable imho.

We used to have a 20/20 rule as far as changing price: up to 20% off, up to $20 max before calling your GSTL over.
If it's little .99 cent travel items, 20 doesn't seem bad but if they have a CARTFUL of .99 items....call your GSTL.
If they said there was a sale sign (reg $99 on for $79), you can hit the price inquiry & scan it. It should tell you what the lowest sale price was on it & if there are any promos like "buy 2, get one free". If the lowest price matches what the guest says it was signed for, I'd adjust it (could've been an old sign missed during take-down).
If it's extreme (50% or more) or just doesn't sound right, call your GSTL & let them make the call.
You don't wanna call for every little thing but you don't want AP asking you why you're giving away the store.

Yeah I try to call my GSTL a lot.

@m5579: My store has probably had 2-3 sales floor people on backup all this week for 2-3 hours. Normally 6 registers open with 4 cashiers, 2 sales and GSTL on express/guest service. Closed with 3 cashiers tonight and still got out at midnight.

@BuliSBI: I started doing that with the redcard. A lot of times guests will just cut me off, but I think I got out of my slump tonight on my 3-11 shift. Talked with the GSA, Starbucks TM and a cashier on break and got similar advice. First guest off of break was a redcard debit. The register I was on today had this handy graphic with all of the info pasted right near the card reader. Used that and managed to get 2 redcards today! The 2nd lady got a credit as one of the last guests at the end of the day paid for her order in almost all 1$ bills (82 to be exact). It was ridiculous to count in the dark.

@barcode: Yeah I think they like me because apparently I vibe a lot. I just talk to people lol. I help old people put stuff into their car in the parking lot and I hear the sales floor ETL say over the walkie "Great Job CA Vic on vibing with our guest!"

I think which register I am on may affect % chances of success for a redcard. As a CA I normally get put on the far away registers. We have 18 and I end up working on 12 a lot. Or on express or the one right near express (I think its 5?). I worked on 8 tonight which is right near starbucks and I got 2 cards there.

If they said there was a sale sign (reg $99 on for $79), you can hit the price inquiry & scan it. It should tell you what the lowest sale price was on it & if there are any promos like "buy 2, get one free". If the lowest price matches what the guest says it was signed for, I'd adjust it (could've been an old sign missed during take-down).

I wish more people knew this! I always show this to our cashiers, but so few of them actually use it. :/

I wish more people knew this! I always show this to our cashiers, but so few of them actually use it. :/

I use this, but most guests argue over things that don't show up as on sale. I teach all of my tips to my other cashiers. I was on express today and we had no GSA, just the ETL as GSTL, so I was kind of acting like a GSA and helping with problems/bagging/getting strays/hangers/running for price checks etc. Seems easy. CA again today, then its cashiering for a while.

I did a floor check today at close and helped take down old ads and I found ads from 11/7 still up. Many from 12/7, so whoever normally takes them down isn't very good at it. I did A-E very quickly. Even got done fast enough to help with Guest Services CRC/Salvage etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back