COVID-19 keeping safe and healthy in this pandemic

I am keeping an eye on people.
Those teens will recover physically but it might take a long time to recover mentally.

Last edited:
Here is the crux of the debate for me, and I know I'm going to catch flack for this, but here goes. You say "guests who think they're special and don't need to wear a mask." Well, some people don't want to. And unless it's a business that requires it inside or in a jurisdiction where you are required, won't wear one. But you go on to also say that "I don't wear gloves, just keep my hands away from my face." Some people think everyone should.

I'm not picking on you personally, I'm just saying everyone has their own thoughts about this. All you can do is govern yourself.

I personally think my nephew has gone crazy. His young children, in a small town in Ohio with no cases, have not been outside even on their own yard, since late March. Not outside. But I'm not him.
Yes, I can govern only myself. However, and it's a biggie, people can be asymptomatic and still spread the virus. A person who has the virus can spread a whole lot less of it, to myself and everyone else, by wearing a mask. So, imho, there should be no option or "I don't want to" about it. They have a choice about staying home and not wearing one or going to public places and wearing one. That should be the choice, not going to Target or wherever and not wearing a mask while inside the establishment. I happen to live in a state that's been hit hard with this, although we're starting to come out of it. Our governor has issued an order about wearing masks, although there's little enforcement unfortunately. Stores in my state may refuse to allow entrance to a person not wearing a mask. There's no such order about gloves.

Wearing gloves doesn't really help (unless it reminds the person wearing them to keep their hands away from their face) because the virus isn't transmitted through intact skin. I've seen guests with 2 masks at the same time, gloves, sunglasses or safety glasses, jacket zipped up, hood or hat over their head - a wee bit overboard, but if that makes them feel safe....

As for your nephew, I agree that seems over the top, unless there are some extreme circumstances like someone in the household undergoing chemo, having been a transplant patient, or some other serious compromise to the immune system. I used to date a guy who was hypochondriac and paranoid about food and drug tampering. Went grocery shopping with him once and it was ... an unusual experience, seeing him check a container to make sure the safety seal was still intact before placing it in his cart - or maybe everyone other than myself unscrews the ketchup bottle to make sure the seal is still there? I thought it was weird.

Anyway, I hope your nephew and his family continue to stay safe (and get outdoors for some fresh spring air). The virus is starting to show up more in small towns and rural areas.

Wearing a mask is an act of solidarity and shows compassion for others and awareness that they need to do their part to protect others around them. Not wearing one indicates, to me anyway, that the person is selfish and ignorant. If they truly cannot wear a mask because of medical reasons, then maybe they should have someone else do their shopping or arrange for curbside pickup. I have a hard time believing that so many people really can't wear one, if that's what they're claiming to get out of it.

In March I was paranoid - even took a few sick days out - not sick but not wanting to be in the store.
After a few days at home I was itching to go back - with full riot gear - gloves, mask, distancing, washing hands every hour, avoiding touching face, shoes left outside when I got home, clothes in washer, shower, etc.
Each day I got less and less cautious. Now I only wash my hands before eating. No mask, no gloves, shoulder to shoulder with other tm’s, no shower/change of clothes when i get home...even though we have had multiple cases in our store ........time will tell how it works out for me. I’m just tired of all the precautions.
"Shoulder to shoulder" is how the virus is getting spread in places like meat processing plants and why there are outbreaks in some areas now, including in my state at an egg farm. Your store really needs to get back to wearing masks and practicing social distancing, especially because there have been cases at your store. Your ETL team is practically asking for trouble by not being on board with the basics like that.

I saw a meme earlier where they said wearing the face mask was the only way to stop 5G from harming you. Maybe we should start spreading that around. True, it's not a real thing, but it may be the only way to get some idiots to wear a mask.

Our store recently reported a couple of COVID-19 cases. In a couple of hours, I'm going in for COVID-19 testing and I'm a bit anxious.
Depending on the results, could someone explain to me the difference between the 14-day quarantine LOA and the 30-day company-paid LOA?
Washington state law does allow sick leave to be used during a quarantine but depending on the test results I'd like details on whether to apply for the 30-day paid LOA. Thanks.

Back