Archived Key/Cash handling question

Status
Not open for further replies.
GSA gave his keys to a flow team member to fill a change request. Flow TM has never been trained on front end, not even cashiering as far as I know. They are also related.

Coaching? CA Counseling? CA Final? On both or just the GSA?

I see key handling issues as well as unsecured funds issues which looks like a CA Final to me. My newish HR ETL has no clue which is correct.

To be honest it 10000% depends on how liked/disliked he is by leadership. unless anything went missing, he'd probably walk away with a slap on the wrist for giving somebody keys to the cash drawer..

Probably nothing at my store, I was frequently given the keys to do change requests as a cashier. Though it was always TL's or above that gave me the keys, the GSA's were very paranoid about handing out GSTL keys, even if I just needed them to grab a FF item from the locked box in the closet, whereas out Sr. TL's and ETL's seemed to go off who they personally trusted rather than who official hierarchy said should be trusted.

I'll leave my keys with a cashier when I go on break, so they can still do spider wraps and such, but they all know better than to go in the change fund drawer. I have also, when I am being pulled in multiple directions, grabbed a trusted cashier to walk change to another cashier after I grabbed the money out of the drawer.

But I would never ask another TM to fulfill a change request. To me, that's unsecured money, which is a final. This would be especially true for having a TM do it who isn't even front end trained on a register. If they shouldn't be on a register, they sure as hell shouldn't be in that drawer.

I'm uncertain about the flow TM...since they probably didn't know any better, because they were asked to do it, maybe just a coaching.

I'll leave my keys with a cashier when I go on break, so they can still do spider wraps and such, but they all know better than to go in the change fund drawer. I have also, when I am being pulled in multiple directions, grabbed a trusted cashier to walk change to another cashier after I grabbed the money out of the drawer.

But I would never ask another TM to fulfill a change request. To me, that's unsecured money, which is a final. This would be especially true for having a TM do it who isn't even front end trained on a register. If they shouldn't be on a register, they sure as hell shouldn't be in that drawer.

I'm uncertain about the flow TM...since they probably didn't know any better, because they were asked to do it, maybe just a coaching.

This is strange to me. As a GSTM who regularly covers GSA/GSTL breaks & lunches, I *am* the GSA on duty when I'm covering. I've personally grabbed change for cashiers and even given the rare apology coupon just as any GSA would. We don't give the keys to random cashiers; just the few GSTMs who are GSA trained.

Basically I know how to open and close registers, and I am good at playing manager, so I am considered "GSA trained." That's all I need to comfortably take charge.

Last edited:
We have one or two people up front who are GSA trained beyond our GSAs who could get the change, but I didn't figure that was Germaine to this conversation.

I don't think it'd be an issue at my store so long as no money wound up missing. Since we don't need the keys for spider wraps, I don't, and won't give keys to a cashier when going on a break. I don't think if I did give them keys and they used them to get change that I'd get in trouble, but I DO think if I gave them keys and they misused them that it'd get me in deep shit. Not worth the risk in my opinion.

Typically at my store if it's busy a TL comes to cover GSA/TL breaks, if it's very slow an experienced cashier may be asked to do so instead, but even then they're typically just expected call for the LOD or a TL if they need keys or anything requiring supervisor #'s.

to be honest, if i had given any of my cashiers my keys and said they could get change as they needed it... they'd just give me a "blazed and confused" look and called me over to do it anyways haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back