Archived Keys, the In/Out Signing Bull

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxTheDudexx

Front of Store Attendant
Okay, so my store just implemented this new policy. Sign all keys in and out. If you forget to sign them in you get a warning, if you forget a second time it's a final. Are you serious? I always remember to. But I can already see some poor soul sitting at another job interview:

"So why were you terminated from target?"

"Because I accidentally forgot to write 10pm on a piece of paper."

I know re-coring the store is expensive, but that's only for a person that loses them. How often does that happen? Is it worth terminating good help over something so trivial? Just sayin'. Thoughts?

One store I was at, we had to turn over our driver's license (or school ID, whatever) in exchange for keys. Once you turned in your keys, you could get your license back.

Takes you less than a minute to sign in/out keys. If you can't do a simple thing, then you deserve to get terminated no matter how good you are.

Hell, if you call yourself "good," you let yourself get in trouble because you can't do a simple thing?

Takes you less than a minute to sign in/out keys. If you can't do a simple thing, then you deserve to get terminated no matter how good you are.

Hell, if you call yourself "good," you let yourself get in trouble because you can't do a simple thing?

I can do it, but sometimes people overlook simple things. It just seems like overkill to me. That's all I'm saying. It's an automatic for me, but I've taken keys off people for a night shift and see they've forgotten, I sign them in for them and tell them about it the next time I see them so they don't get in trouble. It's just like punch corrections. Look at how many people mess up their punches. Should we start issuing final warnings to team members who forget to punch in/out? I dunno....

There are a lot of "daily" keys for use in the store. It's imperative that we know where they are/who had them last in the event that *eventually* when something does go missing, it can be tracked down.

Suck it up, dude.

There are a lot of "daily" keys for use in the store. It's imperative that we know where they are/who had them last in the event that *eventually* when something does go missing, it can be tracked down.

Suck it up, dude.

I don't have to suck it up. I do it automatic, it's some of my coworkers I worry about. They're sorta.......forgetful. But I still think the policy is too extreme. Just my opinion. I worry these good workers will lose their employment and will be replaced with monkeys. Could be wrong though.

If I have to be reminded one more damn time for something I do habitually already, I'm going to smack the ever living crap out of someone. I mean, yes, reminders are super dee dooper if you're talking to someone WHO NEEDS REMINDING ... but to those who are already performing the task, it's demoralizing.

They got in trouble from above for lax key security so as usual SRDH.
Yea it sucks but that's how it goes, enough people don't follow the policy and the store gets in trouble then the company cracks down and everybody pays.

Loosing keys is a final warning. Take the 30 seconds it takes to sign keys out. Theres nothing wrong with this rule It should be enforced. Honestly the Log sheet should be virtually RIGHT THERE where ever your key box is. Hell sign it before you even touch them.

Lost keys/equipment are probably one of the most frustrating things ever at my store.

not always so simple,the log is behing guest service at our store and depending what gstl is on duty you could wait 10 mins before you get it,funny when it is a tm behing gs there is no issue as they can multy task.

Wow. Guess we're gonna be getting a lot of new people at my store.... I can't help them, I try. I KNOW IT'S SIMPLE, so is punching out!

We recently got a new ETL-AP, and he got really gung-ho about locking EVERYTHING up, including the fixture room. Of course things kinda went back to normal after about a week, but the one good thing that came out of it is better key control. Before we were losing keys about once a month. Now the electronics keys are watched more closely, and it is a red alert when one of them goes missing, and people are actually held accountable.

Question - what do they do to hold you accountable? Back in the day at my store key control was a huge issue (meaning it was enforced). If you lost one it was an automatic write-up, and possible termination. Now it's completely opposite. After working for about 2 years to try and reign in key (and all other equipment) control we now for the most part, follow up with the logs, but they are simply used to hopefully track down keys, not for "accountability", but then again "accountability" only means "punishment" here. I don't know anyone that was ever fired or written up for losing keys before, but everyone was super careful with them, and were legitimately scared of losing them. Now, everyone and their mother loses keys and its no big whoop. which i hate - but at the same time i wouldn't want to see anyone fired either.

somewhat related: back when we were running a store with like a quarter of the PDAs we needed (all PDA priority went to backroom and price change for the most part, instocks for 1/2 the day maybe) my running suggestion was that if you were on a team that "needed" PDAs and you kept losing them, you would be taken off that team. what, you're backroom and you keeping leaving your PDA in a waco? welcome to the cafe team. what's that? you're price change and you're leaving and you're not turning in a printer or a PDA? welcome to the front end.

Last edited:
have to sign em out here, everyone always forgets their darn keys in the equipment though, kind of a unwritten rule that if you find keys hold on to them till someone comes looking, hell i have found key carriers keys left in the compactor and bailer many times, i jsut keep them untill they start freaking out :eek:

The second time I was fired was, in part, for losing the keys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back