Archived last time this year there were more pdas/lpdas than you could shake a stick at

Status
Not open for further replies.

consume

凸(-_-)凸
My store went from 25 mydevices with the roll out, 10 pdas for the back room only.. We have a total of 7 my devices and 5 pdas for the back now, dtl told stl he wouldn't send us anymore until we could control what we had when we asked for more at 15 left... 4th quarter is here...

If you do come across one, it's typically dead if you didn't come in before 6am

Before I even show my trainees a my device, I go over how to use a pen, store apps, floor scanner (mainly to answer if there's backroom locations without bugging backroom first.. I would like to hope as they're looking at the giant floor location also, I don't have to explain that), and channel 2 to accomplish most that you'll ever need to do

Then I show them how easy it is to do it all with a device they're likely never going to have and explain why that is

With that being said, I cringe at the thought of a store on black Friday with only 7 mydevices and a store full of seasonal team members..

Last edited:
Wow. If your store has lost 3/4 of its my devices in a year, I can see why your dtl has no interest in sending you all any more. They aren't one time use disposable devices.

Wow. If your store has lost 3/4 of its my devices in a year, I can see why your dtl has no interest in sending you all any more. They aren't one time use disposable devices.
Well the lod is the first line of people who are supposed to make sure they're all there at the end of the night... Asking too much apparently

Management (specifically, ap should monitor) can pull a report to see the list of last users to have a mydevice, and ideally should audit it, being that it's a decent sized lost

Someone (lod) could make sure that if there's a pda logged back in that isn't in the cabinet is found and coached

But nahh. I agree with the dtl

Yep. The leadership dropped the ball at your store. And then they completely lost the ball. I didn't think equipment control was really that difficult, but apparently it is for some leaders.

People are most likely hiding them, some have been stolen probably, and one or two probably made it into the compactor, baler, or got wrapped up & shipped back out with the truck.

No way to know now. They need to figure out exactly what they have left and not lose a single device without knowing exactly what happened to it.

Your mydevices should be connected to your computer. At all of my big box stores, I could log into a program, on the computer, and see who signed into the device last and when.

This is how I held people accountable for losing devices and hiding them. You know a TM is hiding a device when the only signon activity is coming from them.

Your mydevices should be connected to your computer. At all of my big box stores, I could log into a program, on the computer, and see who signed into the device last and when.

This is how I held people accountable for losing devices and hiding them. You know a TM is hiding a device when the only signon activity is coming from them.

They are. But not a lot of people know how to use the device tracking report.

Our entire freezer/dairy team was sent home early because none of the pda's scanned and the mydevice batteries were drained. Fourth quarter will be painful.

Can anyone confirm that it is possible for stores to buy additional pdas or ipods? I remember reading a post speculating about that awhile ago but has any store actually done it?

You can, but most stores won't because it will suck up their account money. Also, from what I understand, we had to my support that we had one missing and get permission to order another one. But if your store is missing 3/4 of them, like the OP's store, I wouldn't expect them to send them.

And I understand they won't let you go over your allotment.

MyDevices can be ordered but they cost around $500. PDAs are around $1000. Also your store cannot go over what they are allocated, which is based on sales volume.

I can't even begin to understand how a store could lose that many MyDevices and someone hasn't lost their job. My APBP about lost it when my store had 3 go missing in a year period. And we are allocated like 45 MyDevices.

Device report can be ran by anyone I'm pretty sure. Not just leaders or AP. It only shows who signed into the device last though. I wish it showed a little more information about log in history but oh well.

Last edited:
It's not just pda's in our store... three tier carts and handbaskets are in short supply. When Steritech walks in everyone scrambles to get product out of shopping carts in the backroom. Once daily (at least) guests will ask for handbaskets that no longer exist. Don't get me started on the electric carts that are never charged....

damn! we've only had 3 stolen/lost so far, but we have 7 pdt's and 22 mydevices left. honestly teaching them all that is probably the best, since even if they can get their hands on a mydevice one day, they won't be able to the next. they always seem to want to take them for the salesfloor when flow is trying to backstock. like no, you don't need them. we can't backstock without them. I feel like no matter how many pdts/mydevices/walkies any store has, it will never be enough.

damn! we've only had 3 stolen/lost so far, but we have 7 pdt's and 22 mydevices left. honestly teaching them all that is probably the best, since even if they can get their hands on a mydevice one day, they won't be able to the next. they always seem to want to take them for the salesfloor when flow is trying to backstock. like no, you don't need them. we can't backstock without them. I feel like no matter how many pdts/mydevices/walkies any store has, it will never be enough.
How old is your store that you still have PDTs? And salesfloor is required to have them in order to help guests. Someone screwed up in corporate as we were supposed to keep all our PDAs for logistics and the mydevices would replace the leaderships ones. Still wish we had those, it was nice actually getting the alerts.

How old is your store that you still have PDTs? And salesfloor is required to have them in order to help guests. Someone screwed up in corporate as we were supposed to keep all our PDAs for logistics and the mydevices would replace the leaderships ones. Still wish we had those, it was nice actually getting the alerts.

I'm not sure what you mean.. my store is 15 years old? they use the pdt's to do flexible fulfillments and cafs. not sure why, because I do neither of those. (we usually refer to the ones with handles as pdts and the ones without as pdas... we only ever had 4 pdas, and now we have none.)

how is a mydevice needed to help guests? what did tm's do before we had mydevices? ignore guests? our salesfloor team members just ask over the walkie and someone always knows either where the item is located or where it would be if we carried it. you call the backroom to see if we have an item (which you'll have to do anyway to get it pulled). it's never been an issue. in our store, ours keep getting snatched so salesfloor people can do reshop. it would be better if they stop coddling them and let them learn where everything is in the store, just like every other team has to do.

I'm not sure what you mean.. my store is 15 years old? they use the pdt's to do flexible fulfillments and cafs. not sure why, because I do neither of those. (we usually refer to the ones with handles as pdts and the ones without as pdas... we only ever had 4 pdas, and now we have none.)

how is a mydevice needed to help guests? what did tm's do before we had mydevices? ignore guests? our salesfloor team members just ask over the walkie and someone always knows either where the item is located or where it would be if we carried it. you call the backroom to see if we have an item (which you'll have to do anyway to get it pulled). it's never been an issue. in our store, ours keep getting snatched so salesfloor people can do reshop. it would be better if they stop coddling them and let them learn where everything is in the store, just like every other team has to do.
In our store it helps a lot if the salesfloor team members have a MyDevice or pda. In our store TLs and some TM salesfloor are trained to pull from the backroom. With the MyDevice we can also give the guest an estimate of how much of an item other Target stores in the area have. We can also use the MyDevice to demonstrate how to use Cartwheel. Getting guests signed up for Cartwheel is pushed a lot at my store. Also, if no stores in the area have an item we can use the MyDevice to check Target.com for the guest. Having a pda or MyDevice is also necessary to do Suspect Date Audit and other similar tasks.

This seems like a case of all stores not operating the same way.

FYI, the reason they use a PDA to do FFs and CAFs is because that functionality isn't on the MyDevices yet.

Last edited:
In our store it helps a lot if the salesfloor team members have a MyDevice or pda. In our store TLs and some TM salesfloor are trained to pull from the backroom. With the MyDevice we can also give the guest an estimate of how much of an item other Target stores in the area have. We can also use the MyDevice to demonstrate how to use Cartwheel. Getting guests signed up for Cartwheel is pushed a lot at my store. Also, if no stores in the area have an item we can use the MyDevice to check Target.com for the guest. Having a pda or MyDevice is also necessary to do Suspect Date Audit and other similar tasks.

This seems like a case of all stores not operating the same way.

FYI, the reason they use a PDA to do FFs and CAFs is because that functionality isn't on the MyDevices yet.

I feel like this is Target's motto, tbh. even my etl will be like "so and so store does it this way". and that's just within my state.

cartwheel is pushed a lot but we usually just show them how to do it on their phone. as in we walk them through it. we're allowed to have smartphones on the floor too so we can show them on ours.

tl's have mydevices, but we really only have about five tl's in the store at a time (etl's have one as well). they don't bother to train salesfloor because in the past we've had them fucking up the backroom (pulling from a case and then putting it back on the shelf, forgetting to actually take the item and then messing up the counts, etc). actually recently we went down to yellow because some super smart tl decided to train two seasonal salesfloor members how to backstock and they couldn't even figure out basic things like fill groups. although even our plano team has six people.. and only two of them can backstock (and one of them recently moved from the backroom). only one on softlines can. I think they've just learned, the less people who know, the better. I assume everyone else's store is also as caught up in being #1 in the district as mine.

I do agree the finding nearby stores functionality is nice, but our stores are about an hour apart and really guests never really want to bother. usually we just give out the free shipping voucher.

I know you also can't do miss picks on the mydevices either, which is why we usually have a pdt on the damage tub. they really should have made sure you could do everything on the mydevices before they switched over. it's been a year now? and they still haven't been fixed?

ASANTS tbh. My store gives our SFTM's a lot more leeway in that most of them are trained to backstock and do their own guest pulls so that backroom are able to focus on CAF's. They usually don't let the seasonals do those things, but anyone who's been at our store for more than 90 days will usually get trained to do at least those two things, so myDevices are definitely helpful for SFTM's. Priority obviously goes to the ETL's, TL's, and GSA/GSTL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back