Archived Layoffs at HQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
When did layoff/laid off start meaning "fired?"

Well they are kinda interchangeable. I agree they shouldn't be, but to some it doesn't matter. Your job ended not by your choice.

But companies need to stop this "fire people = profits!" It does not work..

I mean, at one point, the definition of layoff said it was a temporary blah blah blah, but now if you look it up, in some dictionaries it says it's a temporary or permanent blah blah blah. I hate when words have two conflicting definitions. Hometown is another one with two different, opposing definitions.

Honestly this sounds terrible, but I think it is exactly what Target (as a Company) should be doing.

We all saw our store shrink by an absurd amount in the past year and a half, it is only right that it hits HOME as well.

I see this (as well as the Canada withdrawl) as a "strategic retreat". I can't see store's getting ANY smaller, and I think from about here we may actually ACTUALLY, be at rock bottom...

The good new is, this could make our company healthy again, and bring back ATLEAST slightly more help at the store level.

From the other site:
Kathee Tesija's Departure
Kathy is a great general merchandiser and Brian knows grocery. But Brian's strategic future bets are being placed in the grocery business, which is not in Kathy's sweet spot of past successes. With the freeing up of an EVP spot, Brian will fill it with a person who has track record of grocery business success. Kathy's 30 years of service will be richly rewarded... I'm sure a $25+M compensation package will soften the landing.

Anonymous112231

Last 5 yrs?
Sounds like results from Gregg's 'Achieving Excellence' crap.
I'd be curious as well.

Spot is being gutted for sale/merger. Be thankful and thoughtful. Store level people are the backbone and we are survivors. At this point change may be good. Opinion mine.

From layoff.com
A little perspective: We used to keep the stores in stock fairly well, then beginning in 1998 TGT began slowly chocking the merchants ability to buy proper quantities fearing increased cost from mark downs. By 2009 the merchants were so scared about managing costs that they rarely buy in proper numbers/qtys. Add in the companies further efforts to cut costs in the DC organization by placing most of their focus on reducing efficiencies in the physical handling and processing of merchandise in the centers themselves, coupled with poor efficiencies in POS/Sourcing/DC/Store systems integration and Voila: Problems. Tying it together makes tons of sense. Keep in mind these sand boxes: Stores, Merchandising, DC's have really been very territorial and separate regardless of what has been communicated to the masses.

Anonymous160944

Ah but the article

It's cheaper.

Stop outsourcing you cheap bastards
The last layoff included workers in India as well though.

I'm just pointing out how insane it is for them to lay off hundreds of tech workers and then a few weeks later announce they are hiring 1000 of them.

None of the laid off TMs were qualified for these new positions???

From layoff.com
A little perspective: We used to keep the stores in stock fairly well, then beginning in 1998 TGT began slowly chocking the merchants ability to buy proper quantities fearing increased cost from mark downs. By 2009 the merchants were so scared about managing costs that they rarely buy in proper numbers/qtys. Add in the companies further efforts to cut costs in the DC organization by placing most of their focus on reducing efficiencies in the physical handling and processing of merchandise in the centers themselves, coupled with poor efficiencies in POS/Sourcing/DC/Store systems integration and Voila: Problems. Tying it together makes tons of sense. Keep in mind these sand boxes: Stores, Merchandising, DC's have really been very territorial and separate regardless of what has been communicated to the masses.

Anonymous160944
Well that explains a lot of things...

From layoff.com

Anonymous160944

This. explains (just about) everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back