Archived Leaving Retail for Retail?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a call the other day, and while I am still going at getting into the field that I went to college for (aside from my contractual job), it would be nice to work part time in the city where I live instead of a 20 minute commute to Target in the next town over. So I got a call from RadioShack the other day for an interview this week. Now of course I will only take the job (if offered) if and ONLY IF, they can pay me what I am making now (which is a little bit over $9 an hour) at Target or offer me more than that. I just find it laughable on the last couple of interviews I went on and they wrote down a number that was anywhere from 8 to 8.75. That's when I said sorry and left the interview (politely btw). So anyone have any insight about other good retail companies that would be good to work for? I know of a few, but I am wondering if Radioshack would be a wise decision (pending wage offer). I feel like any place would be better than Target right now.

Radio Shack can be a pretty hard place to pull a decent wage I hear. They will have you push cell phone plans, warranties and accessories like no tomorrow. Not sure, but I thought at one time they were commission based too, at least that was the impression I got from their salespeople(they lay a claim on you and tell you to mention them if you come back for something they got you interested in).

Yea, after reading stuff on the glass door.com I found that it can be competitive as far as a decent wage, but I will see how it goes tomorrow. And I would basically be doing what the Target mobile guys do (what partly what they do), since they are contracted through Radioshack (at least that is what I have heard). But I think it would be a good fit for me since it is very much technology based there. But I wouldnt doubt that pushing cellphones and plans would be a part of the job since much like other retailers they have all the major carriers and try and push like that is the main focus. But I am a tech person and can be very convincing in upselling. And from what I read you do get paid commission.

For some reason I thought Target and RadioShack had some sort of agreement in place that barred hiring employees from each other until a 6 month grace period had elapsed to prevent their employees jumping ship for us and vice versa.

If you thought the accessory scores at Target were bad. Radioshack's is very aggressive. As Mule said...from cellphones to batteries. I know at one time RadioShack paid on commission of some sorts. I don't know if they still do. Then during the off-season, you may be working 1-2 days a week and during the holidays 7 straight days.

I know Best Buy pays alot. But it is a very stressful environment.
Depending on the market, Walmart/Sam's Club can pay better.

I'd stay away from Radio Shack...... There profits dropped 79% last year! I don't see them staying in business much longer....

Well had my interview and filled out some paperwork for their background check but even if that goes through I think I will just stick with Target until my career oriented path opens up with some jobs. The interviews for retail always seem to go well, until we get to hourly pay rate. And they know what I am making right now (because it is right there on the application), but they will still , well we start everyone out at minimum wage. Ummm not me mister, I am not going to drop down to $2 less an hour than what I make now. The guy basically said you decide what your paycheck will be based on commission and how hard you work. That is all fine and dandy but you can't assume that you are going to make commission everyday. In this case I am happy with my $9.23 an hour Logistics position. Darn you Spot for having somewhat better pay than other retailers.

If you haven't already tried it, go through your universities career center if they have one and go for an internship/apprenticeship. Those usually pay a minimum of $10 an hour and they let you ease into your field at a slower pace while learning.

If you really must choose between retail and retail, go with the radioshack job.

Hey Global. I have already graduated and have a bachelor's degree in Media Production as well as some internships. Sadly here in the Nashville area most do not pay. But I do get gigs from time to time, that pay pretty well for a daily rate depending on the production's budget. But I am afraid I can't take radioshack up on their offer, I am not going to settle for $7.25/hour+commission (that would just be stupid). My skills in my industry if I were to be hired as a videographer or editor would average at $250 per day!!!!!!!

1) Build your resume.
2) Tailor that resume to the company you're applying for.
3) Spam every god damned company you can feasibly spam, given your experience/degree/etc.
4) Repeat.

IMO people take a far too passive approach to employment. So what if you go to 20 interviews and are denied 19 times? That one is all that counts. It's a frustrating thing to go through, but I've only been employed by Target for about 6 months and I'm already putting out my resume to potential employers. If you're good at what you do, can prove that you're good at what you do, and have the background/education to alleviate concerns, then put yourself out there. As the saying goes, "Success is when preparation meets opportunity."

Although I am from and absolutely hate the Los Angeles area, I feel that maybe it would be a good move for you since you're into media production. I mean come on... "Hollywood baby!" lol

Evan I appreciate your advice and I would welcome your offer whole heartedly. But I would need to secure a job out there first, unless you want me sleeping on your couch lol

And Nate you are absolutely right! I was one a 3-4 week lazy/discouraged period of putting out resumes, because I would always get the "you have pretty good skills and a stellar resume, BUT we are not hiring at the moment". But now I don't care if I get that kind of reply anymore, I am not going to let that stop me. I will continue to submit resumes, inquire, and build my demo reel!

Evan I appreciate your advice and I would welcome your offer whole heartedly. But I would need to secure a job out there first, unless you want me sleeping on your couch lol

Oh haha It was just a suggestion to move out there. I no longer live there because I couldn't stand it. I currently live in Ohio near Cleveland lol.

If you haven't already tried it, go through your universities career center if they have one and go for an internship/apprenticeship. Those usually pay a minimum of $10 an hour and they let you ease into your field at a slower pace while learning. If you really must choose between retail and retail, go with the radioshack job.
Good suggestion, gb on the university job center.
It is suggested to by radio shack during different times & see how busy they are & interact with customers.
Side note, gb, how that not so new job going?

Filmer I am sending you a PM. I think you are in the same situation I was in.

Hey Global. I have already graduated and have a bachelor's degree in Media Production as well as some internships. Sadly here in the Nashville area most do not pay. But I do get gigs from time to time, that pay pretty well for a daily rate depending on the production's budget. But I am afraid I can't take radioshack up on their offer, I am not going to settle for $7.25/hour+commission (that would just be stupid). My skills in my industry if I were to be hired as a videographer or editor would average at $250 per day!!!!!!!
My suggestion is move to la Chicago or new York most tv shows commercails and moved are made in these three cities. I know of a few places that pay students onset but starting can be anywhere from 50-150 a day trust me that 250 won't kick in for a while you need a lot of expierence first.
I also recommend volenteering on any film sets at first to make connections this is how I got all my paid gigs in film theater and a few commercials :)

Hey softlines, I have already been in the swing of volunteering since the summer of 2011. So i have my sources that let me know of paid gigs and such. as we have spoken before I have done a few projects with music videos and a film lol. But in order to move, yes I will need to first find a job there, then have the funds to move. I do have a hefty sum of money saved up, but will need more in order to move for when this happens :)

The last time I went into a Radioshack I was looking for a headset for my crappy Cricket phone. After being asked if I wanted a new cell phone I told the associate that I was still under a 1 year contract. He would NOT let up and after finding what I needed, I bought the headset and never went back. Screw that place.

Hey softlines, I have already been in the swing of volunteering since the summer of 2011. So i have my sources that let me know of paid gigs and such. as we have spoken before I have done a few projects with music videos and a film lol. But in order to move, yes I will need to first find a job there, then have the funds to move. I do have a hefty sum of money saved up, but will need more in order to move for when this happens :)
Another suggestion while your waiting to hear back from people just shoot beautiful images for your real. I pretend design stuff all the time keeps you in practice and sharp plus if you get something really awesome you could sneak it into your reel or portfolio. There's also websites like media match ect that oh can join to find work along with various Facebook groups
You'll find something I'm sure

I hate to say this, but if you really have a bachelors degree (from a real school) you need to get the hell out of retail all together.

I recently took a job working for Sony, and I have learned a lot about professional careers from my manager because we go to lunch all the time and talk about it. Basically he has a bachelors in computer programming, and a masters in the same field. His career history was as follows:

Worked retail through college, then spent 8 more years working retail after his bachelors
Worked for Sony developing some huge games back in the PS1/2 days
Got laid off and worked for Adobe
Went back to sony managing playstation reps (i.e. what I do now)

He told me that working retail was a "death blow" to his career. Basically he explained to me that in professional college educated fields, working retail is one of the ultimate red flags. Basically he was stuck in retail for 8 years after he got his computer programming degree, and every interview he went to asked him why he had been working retail instead of doing internships/working on independent projects/etc. He simply could not compete against even people who took minimum wage jobs doing computer repair work while in college, and he told me working retail was his biggest regret in his professional life. One day he lucked out and got a programming job for SCEA, and he has made 6 figures even since then.

His advice to me was that if I ever for any reason lost my job at SCEA to never even think about going back to retail because I would probably be stuck there.

Honestly, being out of retail has been night and day for me so far. I get 40 hours guaranteed every week, freaking incredible benefits, no time clock, I am free to get my job done without harassment, more free sony products than I know what to do with, and honestly I get treated pretty damn well by everyone I have encountered at SCEA. I even have a small office space at the SCEA offices here. (even though I almost never go in there) I met a corporate vice president in that building (i.e. a real executive) who treated me damn better than most ETLs ever did. Plus I have a real chance of advancement. As Sony reps, we are considered to be in the "marketing" division of the company. There is a lot of potential to move up, unlike retail. My manager told me a rep he used to manage on the other side of the city got promoted to one of the people who puts together major Sony playstation events at places like E3. They paid for him to move out to California, he has an office in one of the corporate offices, and makes some pretty damn good money now.

You don't know what you are missing until you get out. This was my first job outside of retail, and I only have an associates degree. Dude - you need to be seriously working on getting a job that utilizes your degree. This BS "I want to leave Target for Radio Shack" is not going to get you anywhere fast. Actually, it will probably get you laid off because Radio Shack will probably be out of business within 2-3 years. And honestly, I think you probably posted this message to begin with so someone would tell you this - because you know it is what you need to hear. You knew the answer to your question "leave retail for retail?" was going to be that it isn't a good idea. That's why you asked it to begin with.

Sorry to be harsh, but it is for your own good. Sometimes people need a slap in the face to get going. You have a good degree - stop putting in for retail jobs! Put in for jobs that require a bachelors, even if they are not directly related to your degree. I hate to say this, but a low wage Target job and other retail jobs being your only work history is probably hurting you just like it did my boss. Until you get a professional job, how can you honestly expect employers in your field to take you seriously? "hmmm... let's see. We have an applicant who has a degree and is working at target. We also have an applicant who has the same degree, but works for a major video production company. Who should we pick?" You are going to lose out every time. If you have to, get some kind of entry level job that just requires a bachelors. Even if it is in a different field. Just get something, and then go from there. Right now you should not be looking for that "$250 a day job". You just need something to put on your resume other than "Target" to get attention from those employers paying $250 a day.

Last edited:
State of Target. I completely agree with you. What you may not know is I do have another job in my field and that is I work for a legal company doing legal videography for court reporters. The only thing with that job is it is contractual, meaning some weeks there is a lot of assignments (aka depositions) for me and other weeks hardly none. The company is just not in a position to hire me full time yet, so thus why I am still at Target and looking for other "career" jobs. Plus radioshack I filled out that application back in October, so I just went in to see what it was all about. However, after leaving the interview is when it hit me, "what the f**k am I doing going to another retail interview"? So beforehand and since then I have not considered or even filled out another retail application. And Softlines I do agree that it is the best way to keep your reel growing, currently took some footage the other day that I am now editing. Here is the link to my latest video I have done:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVm7vg2JZ2Y&list=UUzS9yKvvr_w3zQVbUgtHQmQ&index=1&feature=plcp

Demonstration review but nonetheless

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back