Archived leaving target!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had an interview with the manager of a startup tech company today, and he offered me the position almost right after the interview! The only thing is that he wants me to start ASAP - as in by next Monday. There's a ton to do with the new place, especially since I'll be joining them as the office manager.

I will be definitely handing my notice in tomorrow to make sure I don't get scheduled in anymore, but would it really be bad if I told HR my last day was going to be this coming Saturday? I want to be able to start setting up the office for my new job, but with the hours Target has given me, I won't be able to go both places efficiently (34 hours this week, and 37 the next?!).

In my store, if you don't give a full two weeks notice then you are marked so you can't be re-hired.

We just had a guy who'd been w/ Target for 7 years and was only able to give ten days notice and he was told he wouldn't be eligible to be re-hired.

I guess it depends on a few things......

1) giving two weeks notice is the right thing to do.
2) do you think that you'll ever be needing to work at Target again?
3) how important is it to you to keep from "burning bridges" with Target.
4) when going to a new job, your new employer may look at the way you choose to leave Target as a potential way you might leave when you leave them.
5) HOW you handle Target may not reflect well at your new job.
6) talk with your new employer.....they should be respectful of the job you are leaving and give you the chance to make things right with both places.
7) if your new employer isn't willing to give you time to "leave" Target, how flexible will they be in the future?
8) remember that you are going to a start-up company....if the company doesn't succeed what will you do?
9) make the decision based on how you will feel after you leave Target. Will you be happy with yourself or will you be angry at yourself? After you leave Target the only person that this really matters to is you.....and how will you feel?

Hopefully some of these things will be helpful for you in making this decision.

Personally, two of the most important things for me is: Don't burn ANY bridges....you never know when you might need in the future. AND...If a new job isn't respectful to you and your current job....then how will my new employer treat me once I start?

Good luck....and be happy with yourself and the decisions you make.....your new job sounds like a great opportunity!

Thanks for the advice pellinore! I decided to give Target the full two weeks notice, mainly so I don't screw over my peeps in Food Ave.... Gotta say, it feels nice to know that I'll be free from that hell hole in two weeks....

Congratulations, it always feels good when you know you have worked hard in order to get out of retail into a job where you actually want to/wouldn't mind coming into every day, plus hey if this job is full time w/benefits can't complain there

I would be REALLY cautious of a "start up" and a guy that won't let you give your previous employer 2 weeks notice..... any legit employer is perfectly ok with giving two weeks notice and waiting. In fact, most legit employers would consider it a huge red flag if someone they were about to hire was willing to ditch their old employer with no notice.

Just remember one thing - "start up" means "I'm running this thing out of my garage" half the time. Yea, he might have an office he got a bank loan to rent..... but just remember that the *vast majority* of new business go under (i.e. bankrupt) within 6 months of starting opeartions. I know this guy has probably told you that the business is going to be a huge success.... but statisitcally, there is a huge chance it will fail.

So.... if it does fail, do you really want to have not given target two weeks notice if you need to go back? Leave on good terms, and it is pretty much a sure thing you can get your job back.... burn target, and you might be looking for a job for a long time.....

Thanks for the advice pellinore! I decided to give Target the full two weeks notice, mainly so I don't screw over my peeps in Food Ave.... Gotta say, it feels nice to know that I'll be free from that hell hole in two weeks....

Good for you! I think that you made the right decision for how you are leaving Target.

I wish for you much happiness and a wonderful future with your new position!

Once you get started there feel free to let us know how you are doing.

Good for you! I think that you made the right decision for how you are leaving Target.

I wish for you much happiness and a wonderful future with your new position!

Once you get started there feel free to let us know how you are doing.

I wonder if Corporate know how much people who work at Target hate working at Target? All the people at work do is gripe about it... but then we're all supposed to be one big happy family? What a load of BS! When your TL jokingly (perhaps seriously) says, "Let's just burn the store down!" Then you know you have problems. Also I love at my store how no one really wants to help each other... what a great team we are. I soon *might* have a better job offer, which I'd willingly accept in a heart beat, but it's just sad that Target is such an environment that drives people away. I was really excited when I got the job at Target, thinking it'd be this wonderful experience where I'd make new friends, but come to find out: it's very cliquey and most people hate each other. Great! But good luck on the new job. :D

Thanks for the well-wishes everyone!

maybe you can find someone to take your shifts for you? That's usually what people at my store do. just a thought

I'd do that if I wasn't stationed at Food Ave...where no one wants to/can take shifts... :(

dont forget to transfer your 401k!

How do I go about doing that? Target's my first real job (outside of summer camps, and the like) so I don't have any experience with transferring stuff around...

Thanks for the well-wishes everyone!

How do I go about doing that? Target's my first real job (outside of summer camps, and the like) so I don't have any experience with transferring stuff around...

just contact your bank how to transfer it. dont sit on it, tax man will have fun with it. the bank will love to take your $$.

While my ETLs have pretty much said their goodbyes and well-wishes, the HR-TL has asked if I wanted to stay as a part-timer to work at Clerical.

I'll admit, this is kind of tempting, especially since the 10% discount is always useful, and learning HR stuff would be good for my new job. Also, the HR-TL's been trying to transfer me over for ages (or to get cross-trained at the very least), but since I was in Food Ave... Well, we all know it's a black hole there.

Point of this post: Is there a minimum number of hours you have to work? If I decide to say yes to this proposition, I'm really planning on like 1-day-a-week or less-than-4-hours-a-shift-no-more-than-3-days-a-week kind of deal...

I had an interview with the manager of a startup tech company today, and he offered me the position almost right after the interview! The only thing is that he wants me to start ASAP - as in by next Monday. There's a ton to do with the new place, especially since I'll be joining them as the office manager.

I will be definitely handing my notice in tomorrow to make sure I don't get scheduled in anymore, but would it really be bad if I told HR my last day was going to be this coming Saturday? I want to be able to start setting up the office for my new job, but with the hours Target has given me, I won't be able to go both places efficiently (34 hours this week, and 37 the next?!).

I wish you luck, but think you are taking a HUGE chance. Startup Tech companies go in very short order. So have a backup plan for, when, in six months, they go belly up.

Your HR's idea (going part-time) sounds like a good plan B if you can swing it with your start-up job & learning additional skills is NEVER a waste of time. That way you can keep your discount but also have a toe in the door in case the start-up stalls.
Hoping it doesn't but having a plan B & never needing it is far better than the alternative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back