Archived Limited to 5 Shifts Per Week?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was scheduled for 5 shifts for next week and I picked up an additional cashier shift on one of the days I was off. It has not been added to my schedule online, however. Just wondering how this works. I know that technically we cannot go over 40 hours per week, but I don't know if there is a limit to the number of shifts per week too.

I'm just trying to get over 30 hours for next week. :( My store schedules me a lot, but always for short shifts.

When you sign up for a shift it has to be approved by an LOD and then a human resources Team member will add it to the shecudle online. This can take a few days. You can work 6-7 days a week as long as you don't work more than 40 hours

Unless somebody has told you otherwise this is fine. They probably just forgot/haven't had time to add you to MyTime yet. Ask your hrtm/etlhr/lod next time you go in.

Depends on your State. I've been told that in California you can't work more than 6 days in a row or the 7th is mandatory OT. Not sure if that's true or not, though.

It is true.

Yes and no. It's only true within one calendar week. You can work up to twelve days in a row (with Sunday of the first week off and your next day off being Saturday of the next) without getting any sort of overtime (provided you haven't earned any for other reasons like going over 40 hours in one week). I've worked countless twelve-day stretches both at Target and at my previous job with no overtime to speak of.

I was scheduled for 5 shifts for next week and I picked up an additional cashier shift on one of the days I was off. It has not been added to my schedule online, however. Just wondering how this works. I know that technically we cannot go over 40 hours per week, but I don't know if there is a limit to the number of shifts per week too.

I'm just trying to get over 30 hours for next week. :( My store schedules me a lot, but always for short shifts.
At our store you can. They don't like it if you do it very much though due to scheduling. There was a kid on flow that kept picking up shifts getting himself to 40 hours and they had issues scheduling him because they're not supposed to schedule anyone to work more than 5 days in a row. He was at work everyday for about a month.

Last edited:
I've worked 6-day weeks for about the past year now. Some of those were definitely 12-day stretches. I love having only 4 days off a month!

Yes and no. It's only true within one calendar week. You can work up to twelve days in a row (with Sunday of the first week off and your next day off being Saturday of the next) without getting any sort of overtime (provided you haven't earned any for other reasons like going over 40 hours in one week). I've worked countless twelve-day stretches both at Target and at my previous job with no overtime to speak of.

True, I should have made that clear in my post. CA native here. :)

I've worked 10 days in a row. Never thought about if it's allowed or not since they let me do it several times.

Only time I work more than 6 in a row is during Christmas. Last year I was getting scheduled 8 in a row with one day off and 8 again.

Did you sign up in the shift swap book? At my store if you sign up to pick up a shift (or if someone signs up for a shift YOU put in the book) an ETL will ok it and once it is entered into the schedule they will highlight the line that you signed up on. You could ask your HR TM how this is handled at YOUR store just to be sure,

When we pick-up a shift, once an LOD approves it, you are considered scheduled.
Also, when you pick-up the shift, you are supposed to have an LOD sign it.....sometimes people don't have the LOD sign it right away and that can lead to problems.

When we pick-up a shift, once an LOD approves it, you are considered scheduled.
Also, when you pick-up the shift, you are supposed to have an LOD sign it.....sometimes people don't have the LOD sign it right away and that can lead to problems.
We had a steep learning curve when the ETLs stopped checking the swap shift board and approving shifts once a day, every day. Definitely track down an ETL to approve it every time to pick up a shift.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back