Archived LOA for internship reason

Status
Not open for further replies.
So recently I got an opportunity for an apprenticeship/ internship from June to possibly January as an electrician but I hope to come back to doing the CNS truck in the morning so I can work and go to school. I'm pretty sure I can't go on LOA for that reason and if I go on personal LOA, I can't go for that long (I think). If I choose educational (LOA) wouldn't they ask questions?? I just don't know what my best option is and if I talk to my HR i think she'll say I should quit and reapply when i get back.

Last edited:
We have allowed LOA for internships at my store.

We also allowed them and then the people didn't come back.

Ha

Generally you can just talk to yout etl and get an loa form from an hrtm without saying a word to etl hr.

Not all stores require a long drawn out conversation with the ETL hr.

Ultimately it's none of their business what kind of education your Loa is for. The only risk with Loa is if you take longer than you said you would and don't communicate. My store doesn't let people take Loa for more than the stay

The part of your post that confused me is are you trying to go on Loa but still work trucks? You can't do that. Loa is all or nothing. You could do an availability change but again it would be to your leads discretion.

We also allowed them and then the people didn't come back.

Ha

Like I told him depending on your leadership this can backfire. We have people who try to hide out on Loa for a year lol my etl HR terms them so quick. Gotta communicate

I transferred back to my original store working FA 12-15 hours a week (M, W, Weekends) while interning for at a state agency.

If you doubt your store's approval, just state the LOA is for educational purposes not specifically for an internship. I don't think you have to provide class schedules for LOA approval but I am not sure.

Generally you can just talk to yout etl and get an loa form from an hrtm without saying a word to etl hr.

Not all stores require a long drawn out conversation with the ETL hr.

Ultimately it's none of their business what kind of education your Loa is for. The only risk with Loa is if you take longer than you said you would and don't communicate. My store doesn't let people take Loa for more than the stay

The part of your post that confused me is are you trying to go on Loa but still work trucks? You can't do that. Loa is all or nothing. You could do an availability change but again it would be to your leads discretion.

No, I will be away for the summer and fall semester of university to do the apprenticeship and then come back for spring semester of university and work trucks at the same time. Basically no school summer and fall ( LOA June- mid January ), then school and target spring ( Back from LOA End of January- May ).

Last edited:
No, I will be away for the summer and fall semester of university to do the apprenticeship and then come back for spring semester of university and work trucks at the same time. Basically no school summer and fall ( LOA June- mid January ), then school and target spring ( Back from LOA End of January- May ).

Got it, go for it. You seem to have a plan for long term success

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back