Archived Look what my DTL sent us today!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I work for Apple now. Quit Target earlier this year.

"As you are all probably aware, last year, Apple opened stores at Midnight on Black Friday.

This year we were heading down the same path. After much reflection and dialogue, Apple Retail will not participate in midnight openings.

"Our greatest resource, our soul, is our people". We feel that as much as we were excited to come together as an Apple family at Midnight, it wasn't the right decision for your real families.

We prefer for you to enjoy your Thanksgiving Day with friends and family without having to mentally prepare for going to work that night.

Stores will open at 6 am on Friday, November 23.

Thank you to all who volunteered to come in at midnight. We are blessed to have such dedicated, passionate employees in our stores.

Once again, we appreciate your patience as we took time to make the right decision for all of our teams.

It's funny. I've read on some of these threads that: "I don't mind working on Black Friday/Thanksgiving", "I know what I got into with retail", "it's business", or "I want to be there with my team".

Frankly, when we are all old and grey are we really going to value working at TARGET on Thanksgiving? When do you prioritize family?

Stop making excuses on why you can't be with family. Just be there.

Stop making excuses on not having a tradition. Just start one.

Our voices were heard at Apple (no threats, just concerns) and Apple delivered. What will you do?

By the way most malls fine store for not opening. Apple will take it.

So what you're telling me is that I need to start a tradition and spend time with people I see on a daily basis? All because it's a special day because someone long ago said it was? To spend time with other family members I don't bother talking to the rest of the year? I'll do my own thing, thanks!

Apple stores don't need to open at midnight anyway. what for? The Apple store is more of an Apple advertisement for their products. The stores don't make profit individually but as a company make money to support them all, website through stores.

Yea dude. That's what I'm telling you.
If that's all you got out of it...don't even worry about it.

Target/Walmart/Best Buy/Toys R Us are totally different stores compared to the Apple stores. It's like comparing apples (lol too funny) and oranges different store models.

In the midst of the Civil War, the most deadly war fought on American soil, Abraham Lincoln put out a proclamation to set aside Thanksgiving.....to help us to remember that, even in such difficult and deadly times as this, we are to be thankful for the bounty of that which we have to enjoy....and send prayers and thanks to God for all that has been done for us.

I don't believe that Abraham Lincoln is trying to force anything on us.....he has just reminded us of how fortunate we are.....and if he can set aside a day for all Americans to be thankful, then I believe that we should continue this tradition.

Far be it from me to question the motives of one of the world's greatest leaders.....Thanksgiving is about being Thankful for what we have and for praising the Lord for his steadfastness.

This isn't a religious holiday, so much as a day to be thankful.....and whomever you chose to believe in as a Supreme being is who we are asked to thank.

If a nation at war could stop for a day....we ought to be doing the same thing.

You are very welcome.

Now we just need to get the rest of the country to remember this!

I'm seasonal and had originally hoped to stay. But I can already tell it's not the best decision for my family, and while the extra money is nice, there isn't enough of it to justify the aggravation.

I know the economy sucks, but I plan on being out of retail by BF 2013, one way or another. I will resume my practice as a consumer NOT to shop on BF, much less Thanksgiving. Apart from the fact that nothing is worth that aggravation, I sincerely believe it's a two-way street. If the stores aren't open, people can't shop. They may actually get a decent night's sleep and be more pleasant when the stores open at a respectable hour. The fate of the planet does not hang on an 8:45 doorbuster, for merchant or consumer.

Meh, its a run of the mill holiday. I see my family and my fiance's family, go to gatherings, and etc all year. Not spending one day with them to make some extra cash isn't a big deal. And not everyone is the same. Maybe YOU and others prefer to spend time with their friends and family. Good for you. Others either don't have much family or family at all, and *gasp* there are others who just don't care. No need to look down upon them because they don't share the same desires as yourself. And honestly, I bet there are a lot more people who don't care than those that do. Those that do care are just more vocal.

my store is offering an additional 1$ per hour on top of the the shift differential... and I said yes to my etl today to stay on for 8:30 pm... I'm gonna change that tomorrow

Meh, its a run of the mill holiday. I see my family and my fiance's family, go to gatherings, and etc all year. Not spending one day with them to make some extra cash isn't a big deal. And not everyone is the same. Maybe YOU and others prefer to spend time with their friends and family. Good for you. Others either don't have much family or family at all, and *gasp* there are others who just don't care. No need to look down upon them because they don't share the same desires as yourself. And honestly, I bet there are a lot more people who don't care than those that do. Those that do care are just more vocal.

Don't know where you got the idea that we were 'looking down' on people who didn't care.
You don't think Thanksgiving is important, that's cool.
I don't think Christmas is important but you don't see me telling anyone else what they should be doing on December 25th.
Give us the time to be with our families.
Or if you'd rather sit home, drink a few brews and play Halo, that's cool too.

Don't know where you got the idea that we were 'looking down' on people who didn't care.
You don't think Thanksgiving is important, that's cool.
I don't think Christmas is important but you don't see me telling anyone else what they should be doing on December 25th.
Give us the time to be with our families.
Or if you'd rather sit home, drink a few brews and play Halo, that's cool too.

"It's funny. I've read on some of these threads that: "I don't mind working on Black Friday/Thanksgiving", "I know what I got into with retail", "it's business", or "I want to be there with my team".

Frankly, when we are all old and grey are we really going to value working at TARGET on Thanksgiving? When do you prioritize family?

Stop making excuses on why you can't be with family. Just be there.

Stop making excuses on not having a tradition. Just start one."

I was replying directly to what the OP typed. To me, the above looks like he looking down upon people who don't prioritize family over working. I don't even get your response considering we agree. I'm not telling anyone what to do on any specific holiday, but the OP and the corporations are. And I don't have a problem with anyone being pissed about working on Thanksgiving.

But telling the company to close its doors on a particular day because you want to spend it in a particular way--that isn't telling someone what to do?

But telling the company to close its doors on a particular day because you want to spend it in a particular way--that isn't telling someone what to do?

In a way perhaps.
But point made by Apple corp is valid.
The company has a responsibility to its people.
If they want to have the best possible employees and have them work at their best then they need to treat us better.

I think its a good thing what Apple did, nice to know some places are thinking of their employees

that being said im not really all that mad about 9pm open, i still get to spend time with my family so I dont really have a problem here.. i emphasize for those less fortunate though who have to travel out of state to visit their families :(

i work a split shift on thanksgiving. my closest family is an hour away. my extended family is a couple states away. no store has to open on thanksgiving. they are not making more by being open on thanksgiving. they are just moving up their pissing contest with other retailers. no one would be complaining that "oh there is no place open to shop" on thanksgiving if there wasn't. they go because they feel like they have to in order to be able to get the gifts for their families at what they think will be the best prices of the year. just open at regular time and legitimately have the best deals on the best stuff. thats it. i mean, if it really doesn't matter when black friday is, why not move it up a week. or back a week. what about Black Wednesday? That beats everyone. or here - you want to open up on thanksgiving night. okay. why not close early on wednesday? how much business are you really doing between 8-10/11pm on wednesday? close early - get the store set up before midnight wednesday and legitimately give your team time off until about an hour before the store opens (aka 8pm). throw the team a bone here.

As I stated before, per Abraham Lincoln, Thanksgiving isn't necessarily about family time together as it is taking the time to be Thankful for what we have and to pray to the Lord for His steadfastness and bounty.

We have made it a family holiday because most of us are thankful for our family.....in fact, we don't even really need to be with our family......the idea is TO BE THANKFUL for what we have......many people are thankful that they are alive and healthy. Isn't this reason enough to honor Thanksgiving and be thankful for WHAT we have, not WHO we have. While this sounds a bit odd, the focus is on being THANKFUL....and it can be a bit difficult to be thankful when you we aren't permitted the time to do so.

I am thankful that I have a job....but I am also thankful that I am healthy, have a nice home and have friends to share and care for. I also want to be able to be thankful on a day that was first celebrated, as a Nation, at the worst possible time in our own history. I want to be able to reflect that I am able to be thankful because there are people who have given their lives so that I may live in a country that allows me the opportunity to reflect and be thankful. So I don't appreciate that Target or any other business has made the choice to encroach on this holiday.

Sorry, I don't mean to be preaching, but Thanksgiving and Independence day are two days that I believe are days that ALL Americans ought to be able to celebrate and enjoy.
I don't mind working on Christmas or Easter or even Labor Day.....but I do mind working on these two days. These are days of National reflection and the two most important days that define what The United States of America is all about.

Preach pellinore!

I've been trying to explain why Thanksgiving has a special meaning above and beyond the other holidays.
Just haven't been able to until I found your words.
Thank you.

As I stated before, per Abraham Lincoln, Thanksgiving isn't necessarily about family time together as it is taking the time to be Thankful for what we have and to pray to the Lord for His steadfastness and bounty.

We have made it a family holiday because most of us are thankful for our family.....in fact, we don't even really need to be with our family......the idea is TO BE THANKFUL for what we have......many people are thankful that they are alive and healthy. Isn't this reason enough to honor Thanksgiving and be thankful for WHAT we have, not WHO we have. While this sounds a bit odd, the focus is on being THANKFUL....and it can be a bit difficult to be thankful when you we aren't permitted the time to do so.

I am thankful that I have a job....but I am also thankful that I am healthy, have a nice home and have friends to share and care for. I also want to be able to be thankful on a day that was first celebrated, as a Nation, at the worst possible time in our own history. I want to be able to reflect that I am able to be thankful because there are people who have given their lives so that I may live in a country that allows me the opportunity to reflect and be thankful. So I don't appreciate that Target or any other business has made the choice to encroach on this holiday.

Sorry, I don't mean to be preaching, but Thanksgiving and Independence day are two days that I believe are days that ALL Americans ought to be able to celebrate and enjoy.
I don't mind working on Christmas or Easter or even Labor Day.....but I do mind working on these two days. These are days of National reflection and the two most important days that define what The United States of America is all about.

Great answer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back