Archived Looking to become SFT

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've worked at my current store for a little bit over a year as an Instocks TM and I recently found out my store's current SFT is trying to transfer to another store. It took a ton of convincing, and proof of research on the position to convince my TL that I was serious about the position. She says she thinks I can do it (I think shes lying), but she doesn't think that the higher ups will think I have to maturity level/age for it, I'm 22. The current SFT believes I can do it and is willing to help me with getting the position, but I'm not sure how he can help me. Our current Signing TM wants to be SFT and my TL wants to help him get the position and have me fill the Signing position instead and then go for SFT. I honestly would like to straight to SFT, especially since I have a job set aside that I can apply for and get hired instantly (starting pay is 11$/hr, only problem with it is the location. After finally convincing my TL that I really want to become SFT, she made me the Instocks Team Trainer, but I've been given the responsibilities of the Instocks TL (She looks to me for every problem concerning the team). So I basically took on more work for no pay so I can get "experience." She says that I'll probably be ready in 3 to 4 months and still is trying to get me to drop the idea of becoming SFT, especially since she thinks our current SFT won't be leaving for another few months, or might not leave at all. The SFT recently had his interview at another store thats closer to were he lives so the SFT position may be opening up at my store in the next few weeks. What can I do to show my TL that I'm ready to train to get on the bench for SFT. And is there anyone else I would be able to talk to in the store about SFT interview prep, my current ETL-HR said that its up to my TL to prep me, but tomorrow is her last day at my store. If I am prepped for the interview, I'll probably be competing against the Signing TM for the position, He has quite a bit more experience than me with Spot, is there anything that can give me an edge over him? Also, I noticed theres 4 stores in my city currently hiring SFTs through the externally application page, 2 for early mornings and 2 for rotating shifts (I thought SFT was morning only/mon-fri). Would I be able to apply for these positions externally without having my TL trying to keep me on her team, while still working here?

If you don't have support of your Leaders, you probably won't get it. It sounds like they think the Signing TM would be better at this time and may have better experience. Signing TM is a decent step up IIRC on the paygrades (not as good as SFT though by far), and could be a good advancement step for you.

Welcome to the Break Room.

You will find that without the backing of the leaders you are going to have a almost impossible time of it.
The signing job is a pretty good direction to go and it gives you a lot of independence.
It can also lead you towards the SFT position (a couple of people here have gone that route.

My TL has said she'll help me, which is why she made me her trainer, but I'm not sure shes really giving it any effort yet. I just want to know if there's anything I can do that doesn't depend on her to better my chances at being considered for the position, and how I can show leadership in the store outside my team. And again, applying externally, is that possible while still working?

Have you spoken with an ETL about what you want? I know of several people who were promoted based on their previous work and interview. You could always speak with your ETL and HR, there isn't a rule book or anything that says you have to have a TLs approval. Remember your development is your own so if your TL isn't helping you then maybe its time to find someone else. Good Luck!!

Make sure you have your STL's and ETL-HR's support because they can put a good word if for you with the FMBP. It doesn't matter much if you have your TLs support. Your SFT can also put in a good word for you too. Also if you interview well the FMBP can place you in another store if they have an opening. When I applied it was for a bench position and I didn't know what store I would be going to. When a position opened up they did some shuffling of a few SFTs and then gave me a store.

Make sure you have your STL's and ETL-HR's support because they can put a good word if for you with the FMBP. It doesn't matter much if you have your TLs support. Your SFT can also put in a good word for you too. Also if you interview well the FMBP can place you in another store if they have an opening. When I applied it was for a bench position and I didn't know what store I would be going to. When a position opened up they did some shuffling of a few SFTs and then gave me a store.

Definitely get the support of your leaders. With the changes with the new AE, a lot of change is going on in various stores. I know in my district there are a few leaders and TM's looking to get into the SFT role. Not saying it is impossible, but you have to show you are able to work productively while being independent. Also, yes the main hours are M-F 6 - 1430.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back