Archived Major drop in seasonal hours?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was hired for a seasonal position at A local Target around the start of the seasonal period, and things seem to have been well. I'm 18, in college, and it's my very first job, and been a good experience. But I've noticed my hours go from 34 this week, to 20 next week, then 12 (two days) the week after.

I figure it's normal for hours to drop after the holidays, but only having two days of work as a hard lines member just seemed off. Could work hours ever be an indication of whether or not a seasonal employee will be kept?

I know seasonal is seasonal, and not being kept wouldn't surprise me, but I'd enjoy working there more. Obviously I won't know til it's over, but it was on my mind.

Everybody is getting cut, it's not just you. It always happens this time of year. Payroll all around is full of suck until March or April, even after seasonals are let go.

Look on the Swap Shift board for more hours. There might be a shift or two you can pick up.

Target screwed the pooch with the Neiman Marcus crap and blowing all that extra payroll opening early Black Friday. Things will get much much worse payroll wise. However, people with will be quiting in droves becuase of no hours and if you can out last them you will get some back. I think it is going to be a very hard year because HQ has no idea what the hell it is doing anymore. And it is the stores that pay the price.

I had figured that hours went down after the holiday craze, but I didn't know things were actually that bad for everybody. Wow.

Well, leaves me a little more confident. Just hoping I'll hear soon enough if they're thinking about keeping me.

This is one of the reasons I went for my SFT role, was tired of hustling for hours in the off months. I feel for you on the retail side. For those of you new to Target, just remember things will start to swing back around in the spring as things warm up and people have recovered from their holiday spending. Look into your local state's laws on if you are able to collect "under-employment" benefits until the hours go back up.

There's a guy (hired in the past month or so) who didn't want more hours because of his school. Now that he is done with school, he can't figure out why he has less hours. Apparently he doesn't know hours drop after Christmas time (and he claims he has worked in retail before). Sheesh.

Sales are 12% down compare to last year for the whole company.

OUCH, I know before the holiday our store was about 12% UP from last year. Also I work in Pfresh so thank god my hours are always at least 30-35 in the non holiday times. THe past couple weeks ive been at 40. If Pfresh hours are low I get schedule some C&S truck pushes =)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back