Archived Managing breaks at the front end

Status
Not open for further replies.
We only have one, and she's worked here for 11 years. She's gotten into arguments with the GSTL over when she wants to go on break. Mind you, it usually was for a good reason (ie. last break 30 minutes before she goes home), the type of thing that'd annoy most people, but most would just suck it up and not make a stink over it.

As much as our store tries to keep the break schedule running smoothly, sometimes it gets messed up. Mostly from people not returning on time..

I hate when I am covering GSA and cashiers (there is a list of the same ones) put their flashing light on to ask me when they get their breaks.. I'm like really? You called me over for this? Don't you have a vague idea when you will be going? It's also very sad (in my eyes) to be thinking about your break from the moment you get there.. If that were my thought, I know I would be looking for a new job.
I do have days when I don't want to be there, but it's not constant.
Sometimes when they do that to me, I will send someone else first and let the one who asked, wait. I know it's mean, but stop asking me when you don't have to work. There are times when other cashiers will ask me when their break is and I know they are asking because they really need it, either to sit down or use the restroom. They are not the abusers, and I let them go ASAP.

Oh and about the specific break coverer, it was common practice at another chain I worked for and it worked very well. It prevented overlaps too. I am going to suggest it and see if we can try it for a few days.. (Weekend when we actually have cashiers) to see how it works.

I've found many TMs, especially those who normally work on the floor and are used to all going at the same damn time, want to know ahead of time when their break or lunch is going to be. And if I don't tell those who are normally in different departments when I want/need them to go, then they will go whenever they want, leaving me screwed.

And some cashiers I have to let know early so we have enough time to debate about it. They won't like that time, and will want me to switch it, there won't be another time, so I have to tell them no, then they have to drag their feet, whine, etc, etc. If I can get some of the arguing done before I want them to go, then we won't get off track for that, either.

A person who specifically covers breaks would be nice. But in ULV-land, we call that person the GSA. :p
I know how you feel. I try to be far and accommodate for people and work with the GSA/GSTL but sometimes we just have too many people to cover for that it makes that impossible.

A person who specifically covers breaks would be nice. But in ULV-land, we call that person the GSA. :p

I often wind up doing that actually. GSTL wil have me hop around all day sending people on their breaks and covering for them, and then going to the next person and sending them etc. Works fairly well. Though results in more time spent on a checklane than I care for :p

Yeah, it works well until you're on a lane and: have a new cashier who needs help, another cashier who is underage with a liquor sale, another cashier who wants a price check on a 79 cent price discrepancy, another cashier who is completely out of change and didn't bother to ask for it until the guest needed it, guest services has a back up, and you're completely out of carts.

And the LOD can't come up to help with any of this for another ten minutes or so because they are too busy zoning to help our guests.

But welcome to Saturday.
I know how you feel. When I cover the GSA breaks I end up having a new found understanding of what they do. I find so many people ask me to get them change when I am not the GSA and then I see several lights flashing for help, a person needs to know if they can change a 50 cent difference... oy

I have the worst cashier. Always using his blinker to have me come tell him when his break is going to be. Telling him at the beginning of his shift doesn't work because the blinker goes off 5 min before his scheduled break to make sure I didn't forget him.

So far the solution has been to schedule his breaks every hour and 45 min so that he doesn't get the chance to bother me about it. So far he hasn't complained about the three hour stretches at the end of his shifts, so whatever works, I guess.

at my store, cashiers have to have the gstl/gsa let them go. we have a break schedule, but it doesn't give breaks to some people that needs 3 or others that the lunch will result in 5th on the back end

I'm shocked some cashiers just up and leave. Here the GSA/GSTL tells you when to go, either personally or by sending someone to cover your register. There's a schedule but it's kept in the back where no one but the guest service people can see it. To my estimate they've been pretty good about keeping track of when peoples breaks/lunches are, only delaying them when there's a rush. I did have one forget to tag me for lunch though.

diff stores handle cashier breaks different. depends on size, history, staff. i can not trust my cashiers to just go and come back like my time would like. i need to baby sit them, sometimes push breaks because some one "was helping guests" or other bullshit issues

Yeah, I have a couple of cashiers who, in an attempt to go later than their two hour mark will "forget" to turn off their lane light, or that last guest will coincidentally be the one who takes 15 minutes to help, etc. For them, I have to watch them like a hawk to be sure they go so it doesn't screw up the rest of my plan.

@001275 Totally agree. I did try and make a conscious effort to accommodate people when I could, but I made sure they understood that I never made guarantees. Forcing someone to wait for their break (or go earlier than they want), usually sat better with people when they knew that I was at least somewhat accommodating some of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back