Archived Market during Q4

Status
Not open for further replies.

sigma7

Former ETL-All the Things
So I just got a promotion to CTL. I've been a PA since we finished our remodel earlier this year and have been through several 4th quarters already. I'm just wondering if anyone can give me a picture of what market is like during the holidays for a PFresh store. Any tips or helpful advice for a successful 4th quarter in Market would be greatly appreciated!

What volume store are you?

I am in a fairly lower volume store and the sales in the actual pfresh area with things that we order sell a little more but not much. You only really need to order heavy for the weekends and the few days leading up to the actual holiday. One tip I will give you is order a TON of turkeys and Turkey Breasts, especially the Butterball Brand. Seems like our entire local area of Targets always runs out of the Breasts when they are on ad. Have people constantly calling the store asking for them.

Also Grats on being a CTL. I have been signed off recently and want to be either CTL, Hardlines, or Backroom and am just waiting. Been a PA for a little more than 2 years now.

Overall, I'm in a high B/low A volume store. We're honestly right on the cusp of the two. I'm not sure of the actual food volume, but we have the adjacency/space for a prototype store (not low, high, or mega or whatever they are...just normal), although our freezer and coolers are larger than the other stores' coolers and freezers in the district. We actually have the largest food sales out of all the stores in my district excluding the supers, so what ever you can glean from that. I haven't seen our actual food org class if they even do that for PFresh. Thanks for the tip about turkeys. I figured I would need to order fairly heavy even if they pushed us a lot. Wouldn't have thought about the turkey breasts though. I guess we'll just have to see how it goes as it gets closer to November.

Thanks! I really wanted backroom or POG, but CTL will be a good fit for me. I did a lot of the CTLs responsibilities as a PA, so I was hoping for a new challenge. But I'm ready to get into role and start driving for results.

The only advice I would give as far as turkeys go is always order heavy but be mindful of where you are in 4th Quarter. Last year, our STL decided to take matters into his own hands and upped one of our turkey orders right AFTER Thanksgiving by like, a million. We had purposefully NOT ordered turkeys as much because there is a dramatic decrease in sales after Thanksgiving and we didn't want to be sitting on a ton of stock. Well, thanks to the idiot, we ended up with SO. MANY. TURKEYS. that we ended up donating like, a hundred MP turkeys around Christmas, and we STILL have half a pallet of Butterballs sitting in the freezer that we decided to hang onto until this year. That STL is gone now and I pray to God that our new STL will be hands off about the turkeys because our CTL knows his stuff and if we say don't order turkeys, DON'T ORDER TURKEYS.

Speaking of market during Q4, what should I expect as a PA on Black Friday? Do we work in Pfresh doing our normal routines, or should we expect to get pulled to help out with the craziness on the salesfloor?

You should be scheduled for and work pFresh, but the entire Market area is DEAD all day long; especially in the early morning. So you may be asked to help out elsewhere as long as your non-negotiable tasks are done (cull, SDA, etc). But yeah, a PA should be opening the store. I was sure it was going to be me this year, since Friday mornings are my regular shift, but now that we're drifting more into the Thursday evening area, I'm not sure...I need to make sure our ETL knows that I intend to "open" even if it's at 6pm, haha.

You should be scheduled for and work pFresh, but the entire Market area is DEAD all day long; especially in the early morning. So you may be asked to help out elsewhere as long as your non-negotiable tasks are done (cull, SDA, etc). But yeah, a PA should be opening the store. I was sure it was going to be me this year, since Friday mornings are my regular shift, but now that we're drifting more into the Thursday evening area, I'm not sure...I need to make sure our ETL knows that I intend to "open" even if it's at 6pm, haha.

I wish I could be pfresh for black friday...last 2 years I have had to work Salesfloor even though im a PA

Last year we tried a new thing where we snaked our line through the isles in section A, and then back through market. If we try that again this year, I have this feeling that I'm going to encounter an apple core or two while I'm back there culling... :girl_sigh:

Depends on how it's set up, lol. Our store has always snaked through A and G but they skip the actual horseshoe; lining up by the back wall coolers instead. They weren't really near the food at all.

At my store, the PAs are usually on the crowd management team, and whoever isn't just does their thing in P-Fresh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back