Archived Market gets the shaft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love walking through Electronics and seeing 3 Electronics Team Members on, with two looking and talking amongst themselves at the Wii-U display. While Market has 2 people ALL day, on a Saturday one person 6am-2:30 and the other 11:15 to 8pm, with no closer.

I ask why it is like this and am told it is "because they are busy". I don't think their is anything more frustrating than feeling like the red headed step child department of Target, our GSurvey scores are in the tank and all I hear i seem to hear is something along the lines of "Do More"

Last edited:
I totally agree! We have all heard how food is going to take us to the next level,yeah right. Electronics may have high ticket items however the actual profit is pathetic. Softlines is the money maker in the store in reality. The warranties are money makers hence the huge focus. Those stupid dump bins of women's have huge profit margins. So many electronics team members are simply holding the counter up while market team members are busting ass. There are terrific electronic team members who actually walk the department and initiate conversations but most simply use the time to read magazines, play the displays and chat with the mobile guy.

I totally agree! We have all heard how food is going to take us to the next level,yeah right. Electronics may have high ticket items however the actual profit is pathetic. Softlines is the money maker in the store in reality. The warranties are money makers hence the huge focus. Those stupid dump bins of women's have huge profit margins. So many electronics team members are simply holding the counter up while market team members are busting ass. There are terrific electronic team members who actually walk the department and initiate conversations but most simply use the time to read magazines, play the displays and chat with the mobile guy.
I wish I had time to read magazines and play the displays. At my store they don't allow anymore than 1 person in electronics at a time, and most of the time that 1 person isn't anywhere near the boat. When I open my TLs and ETs always have plenty of projects for me to do, and when I close I get my zones done in about 90 minutes and then I go zone most of the rest of hardlines.

It's funny that you compare Market to Electronics. Both are areas with very slim margin. The difference is that Market is not only slim margin but has product that expires. With the exception of clearance, we can keep electronics items infinitely. Market needs to be staffed much better than it has been in the past. The recent cuts took CTLs from many stores, and those same stores have no more than 2 PAs. I will say that with myTime, at my store, the market coverage on the weekends has been much better. We are a C volume store and myTime has been scheduling as many as 5 market team members on the weekends. Better times may be ahead.

our problem is that we pretty much don't have any food side team members. It's a stuggle every single week to do the schedule for every single area over there.
Our store currently has 32 hiring needs.

This is hilarious because every pfresh store that opened started with the larger team, screwing every other department over for hours.

My how the tables keep turning, and turning, and turning. And that every department is so much more god damn important than those losers over there in [insert department here, scrub].

This is hilarious because every pfresh store that opened started with the larger team, screwing every other department over for hours.

My how the tables keep turning, and turning, and turning. And that every department is so much more god damn important than those losers over there in [insert department here, scrub].

The only difference is how much of a Time Bomb, market actually is, naturally that. With every item having its own personal clock.

Target has to be in the grocery game or get out of it. This trying to do it on the cheap is a fast road to failure. Pfresh could have worked but, as with most things at Target poor execution and even worse follow up leads to the normal Target habit of pretend it never existed but, instead of some stupid software or new buzz word they rolled out P-fresh is not going to just fade away on its own.

Target has to be in the grocery game or get out of it. This trying to do it on the cheap is a fast road to failure. Pfresh could have worked but, as with most things at Target poor execution and even worse follow up leads to the normal Target habit of pretend it never existed but, instead of some stupid software or new buzz word they rolled out P-fresh is not going to just fade away on its own.

P-Fresh will never replace or even put a meaningful dent in local markets & Target will never spend the money it takes to make this more successful.

Walmart has a much smarter plan in starting Walmart stores solely dedicated to groceries. This is the way to profit AND to compete against Amazon's attempt to enter the ring.

I feel for market. I work in a super target and it is always slammed. We just had a visit and an Opp was that there were a lot of expired items on the shelf. (Grossness)
I'm an e&e/hl tl and I barely get 102 to 107 hours to schedule for electronics. I usually have to fight for hours and be really on top of holidays and where plano is setting if they plan on being near to my area.
I even have to bring them in later during the week to schedule a mid on Saturdays. I'm lucky I have strong tms that can hold the fort down.

I get just as many hours as my Starbucks gets. Less than hardlines gets, less than softlines gets, barely more than electronics gets. And myTime actually gives me more than any other salesfloor department. I'm just not allowed to schedule those hours.

Grocery is getting "more" hours because mytime stupidly puts all consumables payroll into grocery. Pets and baby are no where near grocery. So my store moves payroll back out of grocery and in to hardlines.

So with my time they'll be able to still allocate where they think they need it?

I love walking through Electronics and seeing 3 Electronics Team Members on, with two looking and talking amongst themselves at the Wii-U display. While Market has 2 people ALL day, on a Saturday one person 6am-2:30 and the other 11:15 to 8pm, with no closer.

I ask why it is like this and am told it is "because they are busy". I don't think their is anything more frustrating than feeling like the red headed step child department of Target, our GSurvey scores are in the tank and all I hear i seem to hear is something along the lines of "Do More"

I am in the same situation, minus support to electronics haha. Electronics has someone there from like 8-3:30 and then the closer from 3:30-closing. Market coverage is typically 6-2:30 and then the closer comes in from 2:30 to an hour before close. Ironically between the 2 teams we zone Toys, Electronics, Sporting Goods, Automotive, Mini Seasonal and Seasonal, Dry Market, Pfresh, Paper Products

At my store Softlines and Pharmacy makes the big bucks

Only problem is other areas dont have required cleaning and product that is on the shelf expiring all the time. My market team allready is required to zone paper, back up cashier to the front lanes AND electronics, grab carts, do our own market reshop, basically become part of C+S for 4 hours when we do push because they dont schedule enough people, push out Mcclane Candy, be part of any working huddles, and get stopped by every guest with a question in seasonal and ABCD block because we have to go to the front of the store to the back through seasonal to get to our backroom and most times the guests cant find anyone else. I help guests with nonmarket things WAY WAY more than market

They are now training me for pharmacy cashier backup so that will be yet another thing taking me away from Market

Last edited:
I expressed frustration at my leaders on Saturday afternoon after I walked into my pfresh area and nothing was done. Milk needed pushed, the morning autopulls were still in the freezer and there was a large un-pushed pallet from the food truck not touched in the freezer as well.

I told my leaders that its seems funny that for the previous two months when we had no team lead in flow, everything got pushed and the pa's didn't have to push the truck or autopulls (just the daily caf pulls), but now that we have a leader in flow she pulls pulls her team out of pfresh and the pa's have to push everything.

I spent an hour and 45 minutes pushing the pfresh morning autopulls on Friday. The former flow team lead (who lasted all of five months) would pull his team out of pfresh, too. At least the new girl came and told me that her team would not be able to push the autos, the last guy would just 'wash his hands' of it.

Yeah, my leaders told me that Saturday's early pa had to push, not only the food truck, but the general merchandise truck, too. No wonder nothing got done over there.

Pfresh, the stepchild of the store....

Okay, I'm over it now!

Last edited:
Market continually getting shafted is the main reason I left Target. When hours were low, we were the only area of the store that did not have full coverage, but we were still expected to get everything done. Our CTL made a checklist that we were to follow to the T that accounted for every minute of our shifts. Sure we eventually did get help with pushing freezer & dairy on the trucks, but the attitude of "oh the PA's can handle the produce" was complete crap. Many Saturdays I wouldn't have time to finish and would have to risk getting hurt by climbing over pallets in the coolers to get to what I needed to do. Cleaning routines? HA! I would tell my TL I barely had time to sweep the ambient room & he would say that the other cleaning tasks weren't that important. The dairy carts haven't been cleaned since before August of last year. It was ridiculous. Don't even get me started on logistics/flow ETL and TLs. Assholes all the way.

Reactions: TSA
I expressed frustration at my leaders on Saturday afternoon after I walked into my pfresh area and nothing was done. Milk needed pushed, the morning autopulls were still in the freezer and there was a large un-pushed pallet from the food truck not touched in the freezer as well.

I told my leaders that its seems funny that for the previous two months when we had no team lead in flow, everything got pushed and the pa's didn't have to push the truck or autopulls (just the daily caf pulls), but now that we have a leader in flow she pulls pulls her team out of pfresh and the pa's have to push everything.

I spent an hour and 45 minutes pushing the pfresh morning autopulls on Friday. The former flow team lead (who lasted all of five months) would pull his team out of pfresh, too. At least the new girl came and told me that her team would not be able to push the autos, the last guy would just 'wash his hands' of it.

Yeah, my leaders told me that Saturday's early pa had to push, not only the food truck, but the general merchandise truck, too. No wonder nothing got done over there.

Pfresh, the stepchild of the store....

Okay, I'm over it now!

I have to push the morning autofills every time I open pfresh. It does usually take 1 1/2 to 2 hours My store is lower volume though, flow comes in at 6 and is only there 3 days out of the week.

We have an o/n flow team that is to push perishables truck delivery, these people flat out refuse to "FIFO". Instead of cracking down on them, they (as in execs) are now making life miserable for the PAs. I am in a high volume store, we basically are running single coverage on a daily basis. Not only do we have lots of tasks, we also backup cashier, set salesplanners, help guests all over the store and during 4 x 4s have to cover half of hardlines. Add to that, we usually end up having to help flow with the truck push cause they can't get done.

We have an o/n flow team that is to push perishables truck delivery, these people flat out refuse to "FIFO". Instead of cracking down on them, they (as in execs) are now making life miserable for the PAs. I am in a high volume store, we basically are running single coverage on a daily basis. Not only do we have lots of tasks, we also backup cashier, set salesplanners, help guests all over the store and during 4 x 4s have to cover half of hardlines. Add to that, we usually end up having to help flow with the truck push cause they can't get done.

That sounds even worse than my store....why does leadership fail so hard when it comes to Market

Totally opposite in my store. At least 3 Pfresh TMs scheduled in a day, while electronics gets an "opener" that starts at 10am and a "closer" that leaves at 9pm.

Pfresh is the untouchable silver child at our store.... would be golden if they had attachment rates, but that is left to electronics. Nobody is allowed to mess with them and if they ask for anything their wishes are granted.

Pfresh is the untouchable silver child at our store.... would be golden if they had attachment rates, but that is left to electronics. Nobody is allowed to mess with them and if they ask for anything their wishes are granted.

Asking for what...exactly? Because at my store it seems like the Pfresh team helps alot more to other teams than we get help back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back